Torch not fully extending - help please

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having similar problems with torches on occasion. My euphyllia are thriving but torches give me a headache.

It the same like you describe, to any other person they look healthy, but you see something is off. In my case, they just seem less pumped up and the tentacles are more stringy. It can be in this state for weeks or even months, then the flesh starts to retract, receeding more and more untill it just falls apart. Happened to me 2 times now. Tried dipping, moving etc.

If you find the cause I will be very interested to hear...Good luck!

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 torches. All of them do this on occasions. Normally that’s how I know it’s time for a water change haha.. in all honesty my torches get ticked about a lot and close up. Me touching them, my turbo snail, etc. I used to flip but I’ve seen great growth in all of mine over the last few months I’ve had them despite them closing every now and then. Now I just wait it out and normally within 30 minutes it’s back to normal.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3174.JPG
IMG_3193.JPG

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mordie, I would love to see mine pop back to normal. Sadly, this particular torch has been looking sadder and sadder for a month now. The rest of my torches and euphyllia look fine and I have been doing an abnormal amount of small water changes the last couple months to try to slowly lower my nitrates that crept up higher than I would prefer though the corals do not seem bothered besides whatever is going on with this torch. Sigh.
I'm having similar problems with torches on occasion. My euphyllia are thriving but torches give me a headache.

It the same like you describe, to any other person they look healthy, but you see something is off. In my case, they just seem less pumped up and the tentacles are more stringy. It can be in this state for weeks or even months, then the flesh starts to retract, receeding more and more untill it just falls apart. Happened to me 2 times now. Tried dipping, moving etc.

If you find the cause I will be very interested to hear...Good luck!
ugh! I’m sorry to hear that you are going through it also!
I have 5 torches. All of them do this on occasions. Normally that’s how I know it’s time for a water change haha.. in all honesty my torches get ****** about a lot and close up. Me touching them, my turbo snail, etc. I used to flip but I’ve seen great growth in all of mine over the last few months I’ve had them despite them closing every now and then. Now I just wait it out and normally within 30 minutes it’s back to normal.
sadly, this specific torch hasn’t been doing it for only a half hour, but rather for several weeks. I’m holding out hope, but there is definitely something wrong. I’m hoping the hands off approach can save it at this point as my attempts to help hasn’t worked thus far.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mordie, I would love to see mine pop back to normal. Sadly, this particular torch has been looking sadder and sadder for a month now. The rest of my torches and euphyllia look fine and I have been doing an abnormal amount of small water changes the last couple months to try to slowly lower my nitrates that crept up higher than I would prefer though the corals do not seem bothered besides whatever is going on with this torch. Sigh.

ugh! I’m sorry to hear that you are going through it also!

sadly, this specific torch hasn’t been doing it for only a half hour, but rather for several weeks. I’m holding out hope, but there is definitely something wrong. I’m hoping the hands off approach can save it at this point as my attempts to help hasn’t worked thus far.

I’ve seen you’ve been moving it a lot. Can you move it to a lower light portion of the tank..? Possibly try to direct feed the coral? Please examine very close for brown jelly. Sometimes my torches don’t like it in super high flow areas. So sometimes I’ll move my power head for a few minutes or cut it off for a few minutes.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen you’ve been moving it a lot. Can you move it to a lower light portion of the tank..? Possibly try to direct feed the coral? Please examine very close for brown jelly. Sometimes my torches don’t like it in super high flow areas. So sometimes I’ll move my power head for a few minutes or cut it off for a few minutes.

I originally thought it could be a lighting issue because I had upped my peak light time, but moving it in lower lighting did not have a positive effect. Previous people here actually said that it could be that I didn’t have enough flow and that was causing the polyps not to fully extend so I upped the flow. Before and after, the rest of my torches fully extend. This particular one still has issues and has shrunk. I just target fed this torch 2 days ago to see if perhaps that might help. No positive change so far. I could try cutting off the extra flow today. How should I examine more closely for brown jelly? I’ve been trying not to touch it at all to give it its best shot, knowing the chances at this point are slim. Thanks.

Last edited:

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont pull it out yet. Let it die fully so you dont toss out the coral while it is still alive and trying.

Those pics look tough, but as mentioned; less flow and lighting while doing your best to not touch it. Doesnt look good, but dont kill it off either.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont pull it out yet. Let it die fully so you dont toss out the coral while it is still alive and trying.

Those pics look tough, but as mentioned; less flow and lighting while doing your best to not touch it. Doesnt look good, but dont kill it off either.

Okay, I’ll leave it. I’m just getting to a point where I’m starting to accept that it is very unlikely this guy is going to pull through and I worry that whatever is going on will end up transferring to other corals near it....

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was setting up my new tank yesterday! Agree it doesn’t look too hot but doesn’t look to me like brown jelly. I’m not a pro but most people lose their heads/colonies in 24-72 hours.. if you could isolate it maybe or shift the other corals instead of moving it just temporary it might give you a little peace of mind. Brown jelly spreads by touching another coral. Might as well be better safe than sorry.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back