Torch Parasite?

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - yesterday night I saw a thin worm looking object coming from the base of my torch. It seems to go in (??) during the day and comes out at night. Could this be a parasite? Or is it a tentacle from the torch?

sorry pics are bad because it’s pretty small and no dslr here

2C69A02F-E113-48B0-A019-961BCB54944A.jpeg D6B42B6C-5260-412E-9A11-0DBBF774B6B6.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this picture it appears the web is coming out of a small hard tube at the base.
Screenshot_20211204-150106.png

If so, that's a Vermited snail. It releases the webbing to collect food from the water. It also let's go of the webbing and irritates your corals. Easiest way to deal with it is to crush the tube and cover it with a dollop of super glue. If you have one you may have quite a few you haven't seen yet. Just keep an eye on them as they can become quite a nuisance.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a vertimed snail..take the torch out and break the snail off at the base…the tube coming out is irritating the torch

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too but im pretty sure my leopard wrasse and springers damsels ate most them. I have only seen the leopard wrasse eat one but maybe that was just a fluke and it is something else, who knows

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too but im pretty sure my leopard wrasse and springers damsels ate most them. I have only seen the leopard wrasse eat one but maybe that was just a fluke and it is something else, who knows
I'll try manual removal first and see if that helps at all.

Now planning operation digi destruction.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i dont think manual removal works for these guys they dont really seem to have a "body" that i can find and remove

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have in your tank

Its pretty sparse. 2XClowns, 1X Purple Tang.

Im still waiting for the 230Gallon to come so it hasnt been stocked heavily. That and the filtration on this tank is horrible, so it likely cannot handle a significant bio-load.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its pretty sparse. 2XClowns, 1X Purple Tang.

Im still waiting for the 230Gallon to come so it hasnt been stocked heavily. That and the filtration on this tank is horrible, so it likely cannot handle a significant bio-load.
Once your 230 comes in, make a build thread. seems like you're going to have a beautiful system

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rock and sand usually deal with the bioload, filtrations just for mechanical filtration, or maybe a skimmer and carbon. Either way if you have a decent amount of rock (50 pounds or so at least in the tank im guessing).
I like to keep both a wrasse (leopard or melanurus, my favorite is blue star leopard but hard to find one eating prepared foods) and a couple of springers damsels to control red bugs and flatworms etc. I also keep a dragonface pipefish for redbugs as well. I like to have these fish not only because they are attractive but because they serve a purpose and i think they do a good job of it. In a 230 you could easily add a couple of extra fish if you wanted

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them in my DT and they come and go. I have never seen any negative impact on the corals even with them waving around and bumping into the lps and sps.
I guess I’ve been saying repeatedly that I want a biodiverse tank ;) This wasn’t what I had in mind tbh - but it could be worse!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back