Torch Splitting Progression Thread

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like my torch is about to split another head. I'm no scientist or biologist. So this is my Hobbyist "observation" I'm sure there's a much better way to language all of this, but I'm a layman. Hopefully this will help someone dealing first time with a split, searching online for "what's wrong with my torch" :p

With the position it's in right now, perfect angle for detailed shots.

I'm sure someone's done this, but I ain't seen one, so I'm going to start a thread documenting the split from now til completion.

This is already about 1 month into splitting, prior to this you'll see tissue start to recide from the base of the head, in a certain area, normally where it's going to attempt a split from. As well as a lot of inflating and deflating it happens super frequently I've noticed while they're working on a split.

This torch was originally one head that split into 4. This head looks like it's going to just do a single split into two. Before when it split into 4, the hole you will see in the photo actually opened in the middle of the coral skeleton.

It then started the "bubbling effect" often seen in Euphyllia when they split form the middle of the head. before the heads seperated and the hole became visible.

This time it's a little different.

So follow along if you want. I do suspect the top head is splitting as well but it's at such an angle it's hard for me to see it. With this one though it's the perfect angle, but I may post bonus photos as well if there's another split at the same time and I can get photos of it.
IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2827.PNG

IMG_2828.PNG

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool. Should help a lot of reefers who think their coral may have an infection or is overly stressed when it’s not

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back