Torch warfare?

Thub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a reef with two fairly recently added torch corals,
First came a green one with three heads, Immediately, one of the three heads didn't look good. (I couldn't see this third head through the other tentacles at the store) The other two seemed healthy, so I was sort of resigned to let nature take it's course there.
Last thursday I added another torch, this one a black torch, probably maricultured in Indonesia.
Basically immediately after adding the second torch, the green one got super unhappy and shrunken, no skeleton showing on two of the three heads, but the third head appears all but dead. I've got a small frogspawn about 4 inches from the green torch who's never looked better and the 10 other corals in the tank all look good.
The two torches are about a foot apart, so unless I've underestimated the sweeper tentacles (which I also have not seen) they're not a factor here. The green torch is directly "downwind" from the black one. Can torches release chemicals into the water that would hurt only other torches?

Salinity is 35ppt and stable thanks to an ATO, verified with storebought calibration solution and homemade stuff.
Alk is kept between 8.5 and 9 (salifert)
Calc is 410-420 (salifert)
NO3 is ~5-7ppm (Nyos)
Phosphorous is ~0.030ppm on the Hannah ULR phosphorous checker
ammonia and nitrate are undetectable on the API kits I have

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches don't generally bother each other. Have you checked for polyclad flatworms and brown jelly disease?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back