OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As an update, the torch is much more open this morning than the last week.
Since it appears torches don't like to grow over their old skeleton, I guess it's a matter of it growing a new one.
Here it is this morning. I did my best to get a picture. Sorry for being blurry. I didn't want to bother it further by messing with the lights.
torch009.jpg

This a few days ago before I trimmed my chaeto down. I seriously thought it was a goner.
Torch unhappy.jpg

Weird part is, no one else seemed to care about the low nitrates. This one is very serious with it's demands.
learning what our corals want is all part of the reefing hobby. Each one will behave so much more different than the next.

Edit: nitrates are at 5 while phosphates hang on around .01. I'll through in a few extra feedings today for the fish. Won't they be happy.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As an update, the torch is much more open this morning than the last week.
Since it appears torches don't like to grow over their old skeleton, I guess it's a matter of it growing a new one.
Here it is this morning. I did my best to get a picture. Sorry for being blurry. I didn't want to bother it further by messing with the lights.
torch009.jpg

This a few days ago before I trimmed my chaeto down. I seriously thought it was a goner.
Torch unhappy.jpg

Weird part is, no one else seemed to care about the low nitrates. This one is very serious with it's demands.
learning what our corals want is all part of the reefing hobby. Each one will behave so much more different than the next.

Edit: nitrates are at 5 while phosphates hang on around .01. I'll through in a few extra feedings today for the fish. Won't they be happy.
Torches will grow back the tissue that has receded if it is caught in time.

Give it time and keep trying to up n+p slowly.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Torches will grow back the tissue that has receded if it is caught in time.

Give it time and keep trying to up n+p slowly.
Will do, and ty!
I was at my wits end. The struggle with this torch was mentally draining me. Seems like things are slowly picking up and slowly it shall be.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will do, and ty!
I was at my wits end. The struggle with this torch was mentally draining me. Seems like things are slowly picking up and slowly it shall be.
There is hope!

Here is a torch I got from Cali kid almost 6 months ago....yes they even come like this from high end vendors.

I have taken this picture in the exact same angle as you can see the rock formation...this is to show you how much flesh has grown back in a shortish period of time. I mean 6 months in reefing is nothing hahah

Keep at it and if your tank is good your torch should heal.

Screenshot_20210715-072806_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210715-074320_Gallery.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my poor torch is a stunter forever :(
Not forever, but chances are, if it recovers, it will take a while to be back in health vigorous growth mode.

Anecdotally I've experienced the same thing although on a shorter time.. One of my first torches was damaged when I received it and I had to frag one head off that was too far gone to save the rest. That Torch has recovered but isn't really doing much. In the same time, other single head torches are doubled and splitting again.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as it's not a goner. I don't care about growth rate. Just loss rate. I don't want to be 1 survivor 5 dead. This is heart breaking compared to other corals I received from shipping. I never suffered such mortality rates or stress.

OP
OP
Goaway

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My aussie is pretty healthy. Instead of growing more heads. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. All fine by me.
lol I would assume on a long enough time line it would recover but mine is taking forever while the healthy torches grow like crazy.

Tabbers920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this torch since may 25th of this year. Some of you have seen my posts on this situation.
It arrived injured and isn't healing at all. If anything it is getting worse, it has torn off it's tentacles and even ate some of them. I feed the torch twice a week. I offer reef riods and mysis. Today, it rejected all food.
I have a very healthy hammer garden and my oldest colonies are splitting heads again. I have an older aussie torch that is showing no ill signs. And continues to grow.
I just don't know what to do for my indo torch. It's a matter of time before it turns into nothing.

My water parameters are and have been at
salinity 1.026

ph 8.1 - 8.2 saliferts

Red sea test kits

alk between 8.5 - 9
calcium 450
magnesium 1500

Saliferts
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0

hana checker
Phosphate .04

I removed 10 cups of chaetomorpha earlier today. Maybe it's taking up all the nutrients.

Here is the torch upon arrival
torch damage.jpg damage002.jpg

Here it is today, it tucks itself away during sleep time. It's been doing this the past week.
injured torch 2.jpg injured torch.jpg
Get your nitrate above zero. 5-10 is ideal. They need some nitrate to survive. Feed your tank more.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back