Torches not fully opening?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if there were any thoughts on why these guys aren’t opening all the way? It’s not bad but I’m overly cautious these days after loosing $1,500 of torches in my old tank (I’m assuming it was Alk instability but not sure still). Tank is a month old. Was a cloudy until the diatoms came but they seem to have gone away and the cloudiness returned which I’m just attributing to new tank syndrome.

Nitrates: ~10ppm (salifert)
Phosphates: 0.12 PPM (Hanna - this was zero for most the time and shot you after diatoms seems to go away)
Alk: 8.24 (trident)
Calc: 467 (trident)
Mag: 1345 (trident)
Lighting is 2x XR15 Blue running AB+ at 66%.
Filtration is filter floss roller, quantum 160, and soon to be algae reactor (first batch of chaeto died due to what I’m guessing is no phosphates).

E8F5EE15-AA93-41B3-8E7A-81E976DA35B0.jpeg C46DAB68-F935-41C5-99B9-3199A8113C0E.jpeg A2D65A0E-FBE1-4913-BF1F-3E4278A07418.jpeg A8A6AB47-ED64-4589-8AD6-5E2A4078F21C.jpeg EAFE66F5-9B83-4F51-BD47-3E216F1A707C.jpeg 1DFE46D7-1BAE-44FE-9006-D8482A762C62.jpeg 5C15359C-74B5-4970-973A-CA7BD4AA19C7.jpeg

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that look's like a new tank. you might want to follow the most important rule in the hobby....slow and steady. i would start with easier euphyllia like frogspawn and once thats mastered move to torches. but looks like your going to feel the pain again $$

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t have put those torches in that tank yet, but too late. Aussies I find like gentle swaying flow and Indo’s will take as much flow as you can give without straight blasting them. What kind of Par? I’m guessing it’s pretty high. Size of tank?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month old? Is your tank cycled? How did you cycle it? That’s a lot of corals for a month old tank IMHO.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month old? Is your tank cycled? How did you cycle it? That’s a lot of corals for a month old tank IMHO.

I want a reefy tank and i want it NOW! Haha..I'd sell them back to the LFS and wait till your tank matures

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie was a freebie and in bad shape when I got it. I’m not a big Aussie fan since they have a tendency to melt. I used 16oz of Fritz turbostart to cycle it and everything went pretty quickly. The big three are stable. Only thing that had a swing is phosphates which I have a GFO reactor I can get online but I wanted to try to get chaeto growing at first. Many of these came from my old tank and have been pretty happy until I got hit with a brief power outage yesterday (I have a battery backup on the MP40).

The tank is 130g and as I said, stable parameters. I have a trident running for a reason and match my dosing to keep stability.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it is cycled. It killed 2ppm ammonia to 0 in about 12 hours. Nitrite bacteria established soon thereafter and quickly went to zero. Parameters are in original post and clearly indicate this.

I want a reefy tank and i want it NOW! Haha..I'd sell them back to the LFS and wait till your tank matures
Honestly, it’s this mentality that can be toxic here on this forum. Yes, there are those that clearly don’t know what they are doing and I assume any rebuttal to this post will be you claiming just that in this situation. We are no longer reefing in the old days. We have modern ways to cycle tanks quickly, data to track this, and ensure constant stability. I know most things that tick off torches and Euphyllia and I suppose this post was somewhat trivial and more made for a sanity check on parameters and flow (something that many here try to perfect).

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it is cycled. It killed 2ppm ammonia to 0 in about 12 hours. Nitrite bacteria established soon thereafter and quickly went to zero. Parameters are in original post and clearly indicate this.

Honestly, it’s this mentality that can be toxic here on this forum. Yes, there are those that clearly don’t know what they are doing and I assume any rebuttal to this post will be you claiming just that in this situation. We are no longer reefing in the old days. We have modern ways to cycle tanks quickly, data to track this, and ensure constant stability. I know most things that tick off torches and Euphyllia and I suppose this post was somewhat trivial and more made for a sanity check on parameters and flow (something that many here try to perfect).

Your tank and rocks are too new for touches. The pic makes it look like you do not know what you're doing. but good luck,

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank and rocks are too new for touches. The pic makes it look like you do not know what you're doing. but good luck,
Good thing I have torches not touches. Lets be constructive going forward instead of posting in every thread “lollz your tank is too new blah blah blah”. Sounds good?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing I have torches not touches. Lets be constructive going forward instead of posting in every thread “lollz your tank is too new blah blah blah”. Sounds good?

Again" i want a reef tank and I want it now " = Failure , try to learn from your first tank failure. good luck

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like they’re pretty low in the tank, what’s PAR looking like? If everything is staying staying stable without any random swings, then maybe too much light? My frogspawn stayed closed up a bit until it finally adjusted to the new lighting.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All parameters are in the main post. Nitrates are about 10ppm (well, probably 7.5 as it is between 5-10 per salifert). Phosphates are at 0.12 per Hanna. Can run GFO but phosphates were zero for several weeks so was trying to get these up.
Get some live ocean rock in the tank a little bit of real live sand bought with the rock and a good mineral mud. Macro needs trace elements which will be replenished if you do frequent water changes. The tank is so new and those are some really nice torches adding some live filtration will help establish the tank

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure if I went through your post history, that’s all it would consist of.

truth hurts sometime...try not to be so sensitive and listen to your peers. So far everyone has told you your tank is to new. sell the the corals is you best plan of action. Brown jelly is going to be your next issue.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some live ocean rock in the tank a little bit of real live sand bought with the rock and a good mineral mud. Macro needs trace elements which will be replenished if you do frequent water changes. The tank is so new and those are some really nice torches
It is live sand in the tank. I have some live rock from my old tank in the sump. The Chaeto I added was too early just after the cycle before fish were added which is why it failed (not enough nutrients) in my opinion. There is no ammonia or nitrites in the tank. I was planning on getting the brithtwell to make sure there is some iron in there for the Chaeto.
It looks like they’re pretty low in the tank, what’s PAR looking like? If everything is staying staying stable without any random swings, then maybe too much light? My frogspawn stayed closed up a bit until it finally adjusted to the new lighting.
I’m getting a par meter from a friend so TBD. Torches do tend to color up with a higher par and they were happy for a couple weeks. Like I said, just seemed to get a little ticked off yesterday.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is live sand in the tank. I have some live rock from my old tank in the sump. The Chaeto I added was too early just after the cycle before fish were added which is why it failed (not enough nutrients) in my opinion. There is no ammonia or nitrites in the tank. I was planning on getting the brithtwell to make sure there is some iron in there for the Chaeto.

I’m getting a par meter from a friend so TBD. Torches do tend to color up with a higher par and they were happy for a couple weeks. Like I said, just seemed to get a little ticked off yesterday.
Definitely strange, have you done any water changes recently? How is your water stored?

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truth hurts sometime...try not to be so sensitive and listen to your peers. So far everyone has told you your tank is to new. sell the the corals is you best plan of action. Brown jelly is going to be your next issue.
Let’s stop the keyboard warrior action here and help contribute valued content.

Back