Coral happy, but not thriving?

HWEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This was my first tank (now have 2). I've had it coming 1 year and It's a red sea 130D (30gal cube basically).

I have predominantly LPS with a few softies... Stock list at the bottom if you're interested.

I water change around once every 2-3 weeks and dose AB+ once a week as it's an algae invite in a bottle.

I don't dose any elements at present.

In the past few weeks, i've noticed that whilst my coral are happy generally and extend to some degree, they aren't thriving or particularly making efforts to grow. I first spotted that my elegance and green goni weren't fully opening up and since then, as you do, i've noticed more and more.

Last weeks parameters were:

0 Amm
15 Nitrate
0 Nitrite
440 Calc
8.1 Ph
26 degrees
1.026 salinity
8.5 Alk

Up until last Wednesday i had an AI Prime 16hd on it, it suddenly died so i now have a temp Nicrew 100W above- the tank was already doing this with the AI. I use Fritz salt.

I haven't tested my mag in around 6 months. I also note that in 10 months i have no trace of coralline which i believe is a little odd?

What's the deal here do you think?

I'm tempted to go to weekly 20% WC and possibly start dosing something? I don't struggle with stability so i'm cautious about Tropic's AFR.

General knowledge much appreciated, i'm open to anything and everything at the minute.

S/L:
Torches, hammers, frogspawn, elegance, zoas, toadstools, GSP various, kenya tree, duncans, mushrooms, red and green gonioporas. Fish- x2 clowns, goby, blenny and coral beauty (been in the tank well before this was happening, never once had an interest in my coral).

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe more water changes to keep trace elements in the water? Maybe. They may get depleted much faster than every 3 weeks. I think Also might be lighting. Do you know your par? I noticed my par was too high where some of my lps were and when I fixed that they grew so so so much faster. From barely noticeable to fast. Just a few ideas. It’s a hard question to answer. Can you post a pic of the tank? Have you seeded coraline?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely having alkalinity swings, or having it deplete for 2-3 weeks until you do a water change. I have around the same size tank with maybe just slightly more lps corals and even though they’re mostly all all small, my dkh would go down 0.25 per day if I didn’t dose 2-part/kalk saturated vinegar. If you’re not seeing your Alk go down, then your cal, mag, and or PH is out of range, basically, there is something off that is making it so your corals can’t absorb these elements to create new skeleton. Which, I imagine would also lead to less polyp extension. Your cal and PH seem within range, so I would guess it’s your magnesium. I don’t think other minor trace elements would be so depleted by your water change schedule to cause what you’re describing. What kind of flow do you have? I also wouldn’t rule out the Coral Beauty, even if growth wasn’t great before you got, it could still be the cause (or one of a few few causes), I would try watching it from across the room for an while at different times throughout the day to see if it’s picking at anything.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you test your water? What’s the difference between right before and right after a water change? That could help pinpoint or exclude some problems.

OP
OP
HWEP

HWEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe more water changes to keep trace elements in the water? Maybe. They may get depleted much faster than every 3 weeks. I think Also might be lighting. Do you know your par? I noticed my par was too high where some of my lps were and when I fixed that they grew so so so much faster. From barely noticeable to fast. Just a few ideas. It’s a hard question to answer. Can you post a pic of the tank? Have you seeded coraline?
You are likely having alkalinity swings, or having it deplete for 2-3 weeks until you do a water change. I have around the same size tank with maybe just slightly more lps corals and even though they’re mostly all all small, my dkh would go down 0.25 per day if I didn’t dose 2-part/kalk saturated vinegar. If you’re not seeing your Alk go down, then your cal, mag, and or PH is out of range, basically, there is something off that is making it so your corals can’t absorb these elements to create new skeleton. Which, I imagine would also lead to less polyp extension. Your cal and PH seem within range, so I would guess it’s your magnesium. I don’t think other minor trace elements would be so depleted by your water change schedule to cause what you’re describing. What kind of flow do you have? I also wouldn’t rule out the Coral Beauty, even if growth wasn’t great before you got, it could still be the cause (or one of a few few causes), I would try watching it from across the room for an while at different times throughout the day to see if it’s picking at anything.
Thanks Both. CB fish has come from another marine tank and was in there 18 months and never bothered, i've had it 7 months and it's never bothered. Coral were thriving with the fish in, definitely not him/her. I'll look at upping my WC. The light isn't ideal, but they were both thriving and then not thriving with the prime. I'm really not convinced it's the light at all, more so water params. I've done weekly tests and found my alk to not move or swing massively out of normal zones, anywhere between 8 and 8.5.

Ill up my WC's to weekly and consider a supplemental dosing. Unfortunately, with having other animals currently in the vets, i'm in no position to be able to buy the AI Hydras that i want/need.

Thanks guys :)

OP
OP
HWEP

HWEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you test your water? What’s the difference between right before and right after a water change? That could help pinpoint or exclude some problems.
I must admit, that isn't something i've done. I'm due a wc this week, so i'll be sure to do that!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back