OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely strange, have you done any water changes recently? How is your water stored?
Not since Saturday when I did a 20% change. Just acted weird yesterday. I make RODI (5 stage 0 TDS) and mix in a 32g Brute. Tropic Marin Reef Pro that is constantly being agitated by a powerhead.

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not since Saturday when I did a 20% change. Just acted weird yesterday. I make RODI (5 stage 0 TDS) and mix in a 32g Brute. Tropic Marin Reef Pro that is constantly being agitated by a powerhead.
So that wouldn’t cause it, is the tank in a room where any aerosol contamination or sprays could potentially reach it?

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that wouldn’t cause it, is the tank in a room where any aerosol contamination or sprays could potentially reach it?
Living room with kitchen not too far away. Could be some but we don’t really use aerosols. I am also running carbon in my reactor and change every 30 days.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here's my 2 cents and take it for what its worth as I'm no expert but also a collector.

It seems you had a swing in phos....really low to where you are now.

If the torches where in the tank for the swing then I would bet thats whats making them mad.

To the comments of early tank syndrome I do think there is a bit to be said for diverse bacteria and established tanks. It would benefit any coral to have such an environment.

To help the coral you could add some beni bac like micro7. Some say it helps in establishing tanks and some say its pointless.

I feel your pain as I have had some issues lately with torches.

What to do now is hold params steady and see how a month or so after the swing goes.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my 2 cents and take it for what its worth as I'm no expert but also a collector.

It seems you had a swing in phos....really low to where you are now.

If the torches where in the tank for the swing then I would bet thats whats making them mad.

To the comments of early tank syndrome I do think there is a bit to be said for diverse bacteria and established tanks. It would benefit any coral to have such an environment.

To help the coral you could add some beni bac like micro7. Some say it helps in establishing tabks and some say its pointless.

I feel your pain as I have had some issues lately with torches.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I don’t disagree that there are more bacteria’s that establish themselves as the tank matures. Is micro7 different than those from Fritz turbostart?

They were in the tank during the swing. It was quite unexpected. See below for the graph of my readings. Was struggling to get it to 0.03 and then shot up out of no where. Note: ignore the big jump in one day. Couldn’t delete the first test result that was added erroneously.

281E1995-E1DB-4E3C-80F4-065934A40F5A.png

Brad_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living room with kitchen not too far away. Could be some but we don’t really use aerosols. I am also running carbon in my reactor and change every 30 days.
I’d just ride it out for a few days to see if there’s any changes in temperament. You might’ve just gotten a batch of moody corals. It seems like there isn’t too much to do at this point, but I do know Euphyllia thrive in a diversified bacterial tank, so if anything I’d just ride it out and see if the torches just get acclimated to the params.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals get really fluffy with some food maybe some zooplankton would help
I’ll see how they are tomorrow and give them some reef roids. I’ve been dosing 15ml of Reef Energy AB+ every other day or so. Ultimately, I don’t want to overreact and over correct since that often is more detrimental than the first issue.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I don’t disagree that there are more bacteria’s that establish themselves as the tank matures. Is micro7 different than those from Fritz turbostart?

They were in the tank during the swing. It was quite unexpected. See below for the graph of my readings. Was struggling to get it to 0.03 and then shot up out of no where. Note: ignore the big jump in one day. Couldn’t delete the first test result that was added erroneously.

281E1995-E1DB-4E3C-80F4-065934A40F5A.png
Ok gotcha...yes that could definitely be the issue.

Microbacter7 or special blend are bacterias that are added to established tanks to boost beneficial bacteria growth. I dose it every water change as my tank is still under a year.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just ride it out for a few days to see if there’s any changes in temperament. You might’ve just gotten a batch of moody corals. It seems like there isn’t too much to do at this point, but I do know Euphyllia thrive in a diversified bacterial tank, so if anything I’d just ride it out and see if the torches just get acclimated to the params.
Yea that’s my current plan but wanted the collective groups opinion as well. They have been very happy and open before and my guess it’s the phosphate swing.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok gotcha...yes that could definitely be the issue.

Microbacter7 or special blend are bacterias that are added to established tanks to boost beneficial bacteria growth. I dose it every water change as my tank is still under a year.
got it, sounds like in need a new BRS order.

Also try feeding them coral feast, that stuff makes all of my corals pop
I’ll try to get some

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll see how they are tomorrow and give them some reef roids. I’ve been dosing 15ml of Reef Energy AB+ every other day or so. Ultimately, I don’t want to overreact and over correct since that often is more detrimental than the first issue.
Reef roids is very high in phos.

If you continue to feed them heavy phos will rise and you will need to keep ot down. Do you have a reactor for phos control?

This could be the cause of phos spike.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry I thought u said reef roids I see ab+ now...still watch phos while feeding and see if it raises it.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids is very high in phos.

If you continue to feed them heavy phos will rise and you will need to keep ot down. Do you have a reactor for phos control?

This could be the cause of phos spike.
This is why I was switching to AB+. I actually only used reef roids because my phosphates were constantly 0. I was getting 0.03 for a day after reef roids and then zero again and then all of a sudden a spike.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s my current plan but wanted the collective groups opinion as well. They have been very happy and open before and my guess it’s the phosphate swing.
Yes if phosphates have bottomed out that could be the issue. If so remove gfo if present. You can dose phosphates if needed or can feed more. They look great other than not being extended with heathy looking tissue but zero nitrate and/or phosphates will make them mad

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if phosphates have bottomed out that could be the issue. If so remove gfo if present. You can dose phosphates if needed or can feed more. They look great other than not being extended with heathy looking tissue but zero nitrate and/or phosphates will make them mad
Yea that why I fed reef roids since they are a phosphate machine. Just curious about why it spiked all of a sudden. Filter floss roller was out for a couple days which timing might line up but doesn’t seem like it would cause it.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches, especially the Aussies and ones with the shorter fat tentacles hate phosphate swings. For me I've had best success keeping phosphate detectable but low 0.02-0.04 mg/L if it drops under or over they get unhappy and about 0.10 they start brown jelly poofing. That's just my experience with my tank you'll have to find the sweet spot with your set up but with a newer tank like that I'd be watching phospy like a hawk to keep it in a decent range... Not chasing a specific number, please don't go nuts always trying to get exactly a 0.03 or something it's just for me tracking all my parameters po4 definitely seemed to effect these coral the most and finding a good range was key.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches, especially the Aussies and ones with the shorter fat tentacles hate phosphate swings. For me I've had best success keeping phosphate detectable but low 0.02-0.04 mg/L if it drops under or over they get unhappy and about 0.10 they start brown jelly poofing. That's just my experience with my tank you'll have to find the sweet spot with your set up but with a newer tank like that I'd be watching phospy like a hawk to keep it in a decent range... Not chasing a specific number, please don't go nuts always trying to get exactly a 0.03 or something it's just for me tracking all my parameters po4 definitely seemed to effect these coral the most and finding a good range was key.
I just have the one Aussie and it’s not in great shape. Poor flesh when I was given it but just seeing if I can stimulate growth on it given Aussies can be melty. I don’t want to chase a specific number but still not sure the cause of the swing. I can get a GFO reactor online but I currently rather wait until Friday when my Chaeto comes in to try to fight it that way.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back