Torch's fading light...

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have owned this euphyllia torch coral for about 4 months.

This is what he looked like a few weeks into the tank (left side)

20180523_005352.jpg

This is what it looked last month (left side)

20180828_001556.jpg

An this is now:

20180917_184239.jpg

So, here is what I have changed in the last months:

Light: From a Par38 to an AI Prime HD

Flow: Added the IM Spin Stream

Chemistry: Upped the Alk to near 10, from 7 (did it very slowly, over several weeks). Also, had a problem with low salinity for maybe 1 month. The receding of the coral health pre dates this.

Besides these changes to the system, I have tried moving this guy all over the tank. After a couple days I would evaluate the results - nothing seemed to make a positive difference. He's now on the bottom of the tank for the last couple weeks. The decline continues.

Alk: 9-10
Calcium: 420
Mag: 1320
Salinity: 1025

These are the changes I noted and can recall. Others may have happened that I didn't notice ofc. All other livestock and corals seem well and do not show any obvious signs of stress.

Last week gave the torch an iodine dip - didn't notice much of a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm out of ideas.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input!

How would higher alk be detrimental to a coral's health?
It’s the change I believe. Most report higher alk with lower nutrients caused them issues. Plus you likely changed the ph. So consider that a coral is kinda like an inside out gut/lung. You changed the chemistry of of the stuff it uses to eat an Breath.
It’s likely you may have only slight issues with the alk change , but you also changed the light too.
We’re this an acro , it’s likely you would have seen burnt tips and no PE.

OP
OP
André Brasil

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your comments!

Assuming it was the changes made to the system that affected him, what solution would you propose?

Would making a return to the previous conditions not threaten the stability of the other corals health? Would rather lose one than risking damaging the others chances...

KJa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it alone. LOL The number one thing I keep hearing and reading about this hobby is stability. The more consistent and stable your tank's environment is the more success you will have with your tank. Regardless if the parameters are off. If it's consistent and stable you are most likely good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Stability would have been key. Seems like alk went up more quick than gradually to a high level.
Moreso would be change in light. Prime does have an acclimation setting which i would have used for 2 weeks . mine likes med flow of water

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color on the inside still looks good, looks like he is just a little upset by some of the changes. I would just give it time.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me awhile to find the happy place for my torch. If everything in the tank is stable maybe give it more time between moves. That's what I found worked for me. Moving frequently didn't give it enough time to adjust and fully extend.

Mine actually did better when I moved it higher than my hammers and frogspawn.

OP
OP
André Brasil

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your no3 and po4 levels?

Still haven't got around buying these test kits. I am under the assumption that they are within acceptable ranges as I run a oversized skimmer, am within stock limits and feed scarcely. Also, no problem with algae whatsoever...still, can't really vouch for that with absolute certainty.

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't got around buying these test kits. I am under the assumption that they are within acceptable ranges as I run a oversized skimmer, am within stock limits and feed scarcely. Also, no problem with algae whatsoever...still, can't really vouch for that with absolute certainty.

Your nutrients could be too low. If you strip the water completely from po4 and/or no3 your torch will suffer. I would buy the test kits if I were you.

OP
OP
André Brasil

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients could be too low. If you strip the water completely from po4 and/or no3 your torch will suffer. I would buy the test kits if I were you.

I'll take that into account. I do feed reef roids every other day, besides feeding my one clownfish once a day...too low nutrients also sounds unlikely. I do understand judging water parameters by looking at the tank isn't the best, but it does give you an idea of what's going on. I've had low nutrients in the past and remember my zoas getting smaller in polyp size. They have been plump and full for some time now. Ricordeas also getting bigger would indicate adequate nutrient levels I'd say.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to make this even more complicated (I agree with alk swing and new light theory....) But... Did you buy from LFS? Did you see them take the torch out of the water? They could have damaged the torch by taking it out of the water before the tentacles has a chance to retract. This essentially rips the tissue a little. It could have slowly died because an injury. Best practice is to bag them up in the water not out.

OP
OP
André Brasil

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to make this even more complicated (I agree with alk swing and new light theory....) But... Did you buy from LFS? Did you see them take the torch out of the water? They could have damaged the torch by taking it out of the water before the tentacles has a chance to retract. This essentially rips the tissue a little. It could have slowly died because an injury. Best practice is to bag them up in the water not out.

I'm all for an open perspective on matters, hance the post. Do you think something that happened 4 months ago could have an effect now?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is interesting to me as with mine I moved it 2 times without doing this. Once when I got it putting into my holding tank and again putting into a bucket to bring upstairs and put into my DT. Although mine may not be as sensitive but 3 times out of water without doing this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back