Tortuosa turcoise changes - ideas why?

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m intrigued why my Tortuosa Turcoise is developing a certain color...

It came from aquaculture under T5 in a tank with very low nutrients.

It is with me for 7months. Did not grow axial coralites but developed many radial coralites. The colony is a lot whitish than my frag.
Here, it developed a mixed deep green/blue coloration with bright green polyps.

It’s in my tank for 7months. Grew specially in diameter, now under Hydra 64 (added a diffuser 1 week ago), and my nutrients are a bit higher than source tank: nitrate 5-10 and phosphate 0.03 to 0.06 over time (check nitrate every 2 weeks and phosphate every 3 days Hanna).

My alk is pretty stable at 7.3, using Aquaforest’s Balling (powders to mix, because I reduce Mg on part 3 because consumption is not high and I loose some zoas when it is above 1400).

Apex controled, pH 8.2 max and 8.05 min at night. I use a refugium with green algae (not macroalgae you heard right, because chaeto does not grow well here) - it works like a ATS.

Flow provided with Glamorca and MP40 (medium to high). This colony is under 250 PAR.

Have any of you noticed this type of change in this species? Do you consider it good? Bad? (It is at least prettier than the source, to me). Could it be nutrient reltated? Light related?

Reference pictures:

Frag upon arrival:
9F90B61E-83BF-4C9B-8839-F512BDF50A77.jpeg

Today:

2742071C-6A2F-41FC-860C-8849D384F5EC.jpeg

You’ll notice I’ve cut the tip of one axial coralite to encourage growth.

Tank picture for reference:

4719A740-6795-4139-8E0B-DF97F5DB92DD.jpeg

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say with great certainty that you do not have a tortuosa. I’d be leaning more towards acropora secale.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks poorly lit, and overall unhappy. I'd look into adding some T5s or more evenly spread LED, lots of shadowing in your tank. Your tank also looks void of coralline, do you scrape the back or does it just not grow? No coralline growth is always a concern for me in an SPS tank

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks poorly lit, and overall unhappy. I'd look into adding some T5s or more evenly spread LED, lots of shadowing in your tank. Your tank also looks void of coralline, do you scrape the back or does it just not grow? No coralline growth is always a concern for me in an SPS tank
Thanks. The diffuser I recently installed was a way to provide better spread, so I suppose this goes in the right direction. Not using lights at high intensity, so I could increase that maybe...

I have tons of coralline in my sump. I scrape the back for better contrast. You can see the rockwork is pretty covered in coralline.

Have you seen both pictures? From source tank and now? It looks so prettier now I have trouble considering it is in worse conditions...

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above is a pretty harsh assessment. Been doing this for a long time and by your photos, I completely disagree. Things look awesome, clearly your frag is growing and healthy and based on the green polyps I don’t believe it’s a tortuosa.- not a bad thing at all BtW.

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above is a pretty harsh assessment. Been doing this for a long time and by your photos, I completely disagree. Things look awesome, clearly your frag is growing and healthy and based on the green polyps I don’t believe it’s a tortuosa.- not a bad thing at all BtW.
Great. Maybe I really just keep the track. Nobody is dying and colors are pretty ok for months... I was just worried it looked different than many Tortuosas...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back