Transfer from QT to DT

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I've got a few fish I'm getting ready to add to my DT from my QT. What are you thoughts on the least stressful way to get this done?

1. Bucket acclimate over 20-30 mints
2. Net and transfer (sg within .001 and temp within .5 degrees)

Thanks!

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote for item #2. My plan is get salinity of QT to match incoming fish. Then, slowly raise salinity after medicating to get it to match the display.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys. I've got a few fish I'm getting ready to add to my DT from my QT. What are you thoughts on the least stressful way to get this done?

Thanks!

Why not just put them in a bag (once the SG is matched) and then float the bag until the temp is equal?

OP
OP
Lebreton33

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would require netting them twice instead of once and I'm not sure the .5 degree temp diff is worth it no? Otherwise I can always just match the qt tank to the dt tank temp as well. Just didn't think .5 degree was a difference maker to the fish

My feeling is net them out of the blue and drop them into the new tank. That way they have minimal stress and less anxiety then sitting in a bag or bucket for 20-30 mins. But, again, that's why I'm asking. What primates consider to be stressful is different than what fish consider to be stressful

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would require netting them twice instead of once and I'm not sure the .5 degree temp diff is worth it no? Otherwise I can always just match the qt tank to the dt tank temp as well. Just didn't think .5 degree was a difference maker to the fish

My feeling is net them out of the blue and drop them into the new tank. That way they have minimal stress and less anxiety then sitting in a bag or bucket for 20-30 mins. But, again, that's why I'm asking. What primates consider to be stressful is different than what fish consider to be stressful

I guess I do it a bit differently. I net the fish (as they would if you bought it in an LFS) - place in a plastic bag (with whatever water they were in) - float it in the tank, pour all of the water nearly out of the bag - fish goes onto my hand - and into the tank.

But - some people would say that using a net (like you are one time) or my method are not 'safe' from a qt persepctive.

That said - IMHO - if your'e going to be compulsive about salinity - I would be as compulsive with temp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1/2 a degree and .001 s.g. won't make a difference.

If there isn't any anticipated issues with aggression, than I would just net and transfer. If mixing wrasses or tangs or something, then consider an acclimation box.

I tend to agree with you - that said - where do you get the information that 1/2 a degree 'doesn't matter' - personal experience - or another source. I mean - why not 1 degree, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks!

BTW - I guess I am not sure what 'bucket acclimation' refers to which is why I mentioned #2. If you mean drip acclimation for 20-30 minutes - I would extend this to an hour and do it that way. Taking 1/4 amount of water in the bucket every 10 minutes or so....

BTW 2 - I assume (now) that you mean in #2 - that you are adjusting the salinity in your QT (and temp) to within those parameters - and then you mean netting the fish and putting it in the tank?

OP
OP
Lebreton33

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I guess I am not sure what 'bucket acclimation' refers to which is why I mentioned #2. If you mean drip acclimation for 20-30 minutes - I would extend this to an hour and do it that way. Taking 1/4 amount of water in the bucket every 10 minutes or so....

BTW 2 - I assume (now) that you mean in #2 - that you are adjusting the salinity in your QT (and temp) to within those parameters - and then you mean netting the fish and putting it in the tank?

Yes on netting and putting in...my DT is currently at .023 and my QT is at .023. Temp is 77.4 vs. 77.2 respectively.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I matched salinity and caught and placed in container and floated for 20 min. or so while adding some tank water every 5 min. Went to sink and poured the container thru a net to catch fish and put them in the D.T.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with you - that said - where do you get the information that 1/2 a degree 'doesn't matter' - personal experience - or another source. I mean - why not 1 degree, etc.

Personal experience, mostly. I've acclimated a lot of fish over the 15 years or so in my own tanks, working at lfs, and doing service.

And also the math part of it....0.5 degrees is about 1/2% difference. It's also close enough with our instruments to call it the same. 1 degree would be fine too. Ocean currents and differences in depth an shift temp more than a degree.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also the math part of it....0.5 degrees is about 1/2% difference. It's also close enough with our instruments to call it the same. 1 degree would be fine too. Ocean currents and differences in depth an shift temp more than a degree.
Agree.
An easy rule to remember for fish is a rough rule of "2". 2 degrees F, 0.2 delta in pH, and 0.002 S.G. differences are close enough to skip traditional acclimations.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I know a fish is ready to graduate to the display I make sure that the salinity and temp in the QT exactly matches. I always transfer fish at night - sometimes straight in, other times into an acclimation box. Usually I use a net to coax the fish into a small plastic box which then is submerged into the display. I don’t worry about QT water getting into the display - that’s where it originally came from LOL.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree.
An easy rule to remember for fish is a rough rule of "2". 2 degrees F, 0.2 delta in pH, and 0.002 S.G. differences are close enough to skip traditional acclimations.
Funny thing is that the parameters you mention are beyond the parameters of the oP

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.

That's new to me, and it makes sense.

I never check pH when acclimating fish from qt to dt. I have seen pH gradients affect acclimation of freshwater fish, especially certain cats.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is that the parameters you mention are beyond the parameters of the oP
o_O check the 1st post again; I think you missed a decimal. ;)
I never check pH when acclimating fish from qt to dt.
In truth, I don't either. But in an abundance of cautionary advice... ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
o_O check the 1st post again; I think you missed a decimal. ;)

In truth, I don't either. But in an abundance of cautionary advice... ;)

I did - your post said temperature within .2 degrees - the OP says temp .5?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back