Transferring fish

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to move my fish from one tank to a new setup without stressing them too bad? Thanks!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is a new tank you are setting up. Simply match salinity, temperature and make sure the ph difference is within +\- .2 or so. I would simply collect in critter cages or the collection containers the lfs uses(i dont like nets for fish fish like butterflies) and drop in the tank. If have the ability to match always beats the stress of acclimating.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is a new tank you are setting up. Simply match salinity, temperature and make sure the ph difference is within +\- .2 or so. I would simply collect in critter cages or the collection containers the lfs uses(i dont like nets for fish fish like butterflies)

Do they have these containers at petco or something like that? I’ve never seen them? Any DIY ideas for home? It’s been cycling and is ready. Everything is the same in both.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any clear plastic or glass containers from your kitchen? I use old quart and pint containers from my local deli. I herd the fish in with the net, turn the container so the opening is against the tank glass. Then I move it to the surface, tilt the container a bit and voila!

Edit and if everything is the same in both I just catch the fish by hand in the little container and plop it into the new tank

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c640626d945f0b4eb321e2caca40e6f8.jpg

I use something like this. I know lees makes specimen containers if have the day or 2 to wait for shipping from amazon.

475f979fb7dbf83df8e81c43fad28aa8.jpg

If near a walmart they do free to store shipping as well.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any clear plastic or glass containers from your kitchen? I use old quart and pint containers from my local deli. I herd the fish in with the net, turn the container so the opening is against the tank glass. Then I move it to the surface, tilt the container a bit and voila!

Edit and if everything is the same in both I just catch the fish by hand in the little container and plop it into the new tank

Thanks for the reply. I do have some clear plastic containers that I could use. I will just move them directly from one to the other. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back