whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently set up a new 30 gallon reef tank and am trying to figure out what to do. For some background, I have a 13.5 which I bought a rock that had 3 awesome nems on and placed it in my tank knowing the previous owner had dinos. This sparked the dinos in my 13.5 which I have recently gotten rid of (the dinos that is). My question is, should I just transfer the rock to the new tank to avoid having to remove the nems from the rock or should I try to the best of my abilities to remove the nems and only place them in the new 30 gallon tank.

I have some established live rock in the new tank from a fellow reefer who has never had a cyano, dino or diatom issue and I am worried that bringing the rock over might set flames to the new tank but the path of least resistance is moving the rock with the nems already attached. Do you think it will case them to come up again in the new tank?

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently set up a new 30 gallon reef tank and am trying to figure out what to do. For some background, I have a 13.5 which I bought a rock that had 3 awesome nems on and placed it in my tank knowing the previous owner had dinos. This sparked the dinos in my 13.5 which I have recently gotten rid of (the dinos that is). My question is, should I just transfer the rock to the new tank to avoid having to remove the nems from the rock or should I try to the best of my abilities to remove the nems and only place them in the new 30 gallon tank.

I have some established live rock in the new tank from a fellow reefer who has never had a cyano, dino or diatom issue and I am worried that bringing the rock over might set flames to the new tank but the path of least resistance is moving the rock with the nems already attached. Do you think it will case them to come up again in the new tank?
Your new live rock would also have the same likelihood of producing a Dino outbreak. Most live rock contains most common aquarium pest. I would just give the rocks a good scrub and leave them in the sun for a day.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your new live rock would also have the same likelihood of producing a Dino outbreak. Most live rock contains most common aquarium pest. I would just give the rocks a good scrub and leave them in the sun for a day.
Unfortunately, I don’t have the ability to leave them out unless I remove the anemones from the rock. The Dino’s have since been taken care of in the 13.5 leading me to want to put them into the new tank even more. It’s really just removing the anemones that sounds like a pain and they aren’t cheap anemones so I don’t want to kill them trying to remove them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back