Treating sick cat shark

justinbarone627

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 8 inch coral cat shark with red spots on stomach i think it may be bacteria infection what medicines are safe for coral car shark i heard metroplex
Is neoplex kanaplex safe as well
What about api general cure or melafix and what about prazipro

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I purchased a 8 inch coral cat shark with red spots on stomach i think it may be bacteria infection what medicines are safe for coral car shark i heard metroplex
Is neoplex kanaplex safe as well
What about api general cure or melafix and what about prazipro
Be very careful about tossing in treatments with sharks who require GOOD water quality. Filtration for them is very important to maintain good water. Bacterial is a likelihood. The shark should not appear to be "panting" or be overly lethargic. Its eyes and skin should not have any discolorations or white spots. Sharks are prone to bacterial and parasitic infections. This can cause discoloration of the skin, frequent "yawning," and chaffing on the bottom of the tank. Be watchful for any of these behaviors when raising your shark.
Clean/replace the filters often, and change the water when necessary. Your protein skimmer will need to be emptied approximately every other day. Follow package instructions for replacement of carbon filters. When water becomes overly soiled (i.e. cloudy), you will need to change it. This will require large containers full of RODI filtered and salted water, and pumps to remove the old water while adding the new.
Kanaplex is especially effective treating columnaris, dropsy, fin rot, pop eye and even fish tuberulosis and would not be a good choice. Copper is lethal to cat sharks. MetroPlex is an anti parasitic/bacterial medication that can be stressful to plants and invertebrates (corals, mushrooms, shrimp, crabs, etc.) and I would use at 1/2 strength or not at all.
THE MEDICATION I WOULD TRUST IS RUBY RALLY PRO WHICH TREATS AN ARRAY OF ISSUES AND SLOWLY AND START WITH 75% OF RECOMMENDED AND SEE HOW FISH RESPONDS. (easier to add more if needed than to remove )

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back