Trident calibration

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to reprime the Trident after a calibration or does it know to flush any calibration fluid in the lines prior to the next testing? Or..just ignore the very first test after the callibration? Couldnt find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the task will walk you through the process and take care of everything. All you have to do is make sure that you remember to remove the sample line from the calibration bottle and place it back in your sump, display area.

I just sent an alarm on my phone so I get a friendly reminder :) But really the task will take care of everything for you.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the task will walk you through the process and take care of everything. All you have to do is make sure that you remember to remove the sample line from the calibration bottle and place it back in your sump, display area.

I just sent an alarm on my phone so I get a friendly reminder :) But really the task will take care of everything for you.
Thank you.

Still fighting with this thing. Got it calibrated..but immediately after the calibration, the alkalinity was WAY off to hanna and salifert (8.5 for both) while trident was saying 7.24 and has steadily been falling. I reached out to Trident and their answer was basically they will be different, live with it. Take the average difference and do the mental math every time.

Ok. i get they will be different, but when i tested the calibration solution...i got 9 vs 8.45 on the bottle (+0.55). When I tested the tank i got 8.5 vs 7.24. Is this normal? Just live with inaccurate answers as long as i can get within 1.5 dkh? Honeslty..dkh measurement was why i dropped a few bills on this in the first place. Really debating returning to BRS.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Still fighting with this thing. Got it calibrated..but immediately after the calibration, the alkalinity was WAY off to hanna and salifert (8.5 for both) while trident was saying 7.24 and has steadily been falling. I reached out to Trident and their answer was basically they will be different, live with it. Take the average difference and do the mental math every time.

Ok. i get they will be different, but when i tested the calibration solution...i got 9 vs 8.45 on the bottle (+0.55). When I tested the tank i got 8.5 vs 7.24. Is this normal? Just live with inaccurate answers as long as i can get within 1.5 dkh? Honeslty..dkh measurement was why i dropped a few bills on this in the first place. Really debating returning to BRS.

Well the results will vary between kits because of the methodology, manual vs automated, and accuracy. However they should be within their respected margin of error. So they are not wrong but they shouldn't be this far apart. If I understand correctly you tested the calibration solution manually using the Hanna kit?

Neptune calibration solution reads ALK 8.45
Hanna manual test result using Neptune calibration solution ALK 9
Hanna manual test result using tank water 8.5
Trident ALK test 7.24

Do you have any other calibration / reference solution available? I know Neptune's bottle doesn't have a lot left but I was thinking you could always put the sample line in the solution and run a single ALK test and see that reading. The one time I've seen something similar is when my calibration solution was bad. I recalibrated using Fauna Marin multi reference solution and everything was fine after. The only reason why I used the Fauna Marin is because that is what I had on hand.

I didn't ask or maybe I did but what reagents are we using? Neptune or ABC?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you have to reprime the Trident after a calibration or does it know to flush any calibration fluid in the lines prior to the next testing? Or..just ignore the very first test after the callibration? Couldnt find an answer.

Thanks in advance.
Its automatic. . . As each step is accomplished, you will get a message what to do next until complete

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the results will vary between kits because of the methodology, manual vs automated, and accuracy. However they should be within their respected margin of error. So they are not wrong but they shouldn't be this far apart. If I understand correctly you tested the calibration solution manually using the Hanna kit?

Neptune calibration solution reads ALK 8.45
Hanna manual test result using Neptune calibration solution ALK 9
Hanna manual test result using tank water 8.5
Trident ALK test 7.24

Do you have any other calibration / reference solution available? I know Neptune's bottle doesn't have a lot left but I was thinking you could always put the sample line in the solution and run a single ALK test and see that reading. The one time I've seen something similar is when my calibration solution was bad. I recalibrated using Fauna Marin multi reference solution and everything was fine after. The only reason why I used the Fauna Marin is because that is what I had on hand.

I didn't ask or maybe I did but what reagents are we using? Neptune or ABC?
Neptune reagents and you got the fact pattern down. I ran my alk test already with hanna to test the calibration solution. not enough left to do another trident test.

Guess Ill just buy more recalibration solution and hope it was user error somehow.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune reagents and you got the fact pattern down. I ran my alk test already with hanna to test the calibration solution. not enough left to do another trident test.

Guess Ill just buy more recalibration solution and hope it was user error somehow.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure about user error. I mean I've made a few but my eyes are not the best. I entered the wrong values one time in the task and another time I left the sample line in the calibration bottle :(

The Fauna multi reference will range anywhere from 7 to 19 bucks for the 100 ml bottle depending on the source of purchase. Shelf life will be 6 months after it is opened (I confirmed this via their support page as I was curious). I keep a bottle or two on hand for this very reason.

If you have a 6 month reagent kit you could take a calibration bottle from it, run a test, and compare. However that will mean you are down 1.

Gophish1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you.

I am having this exact issue. The first time I calibrated my new trident (4 days after setting it up) it started reading Alk low. Alk was spot on to my Hanna when it was first set up, but then after calibration it was consistently 1.4 lower then Hanna. I used Fauna Marin solution to calibrate the trident and ALSO check my Hanna. The fauna Marin solution bottle said it had an Alk of 6.6, Hanna read 6.8. Then I calibrated trident with that same solution. Hanna read my tank water at 8.6 then trident read it at 7.2. I waited a week and recalibrated the trident with my tank water and the results from a Hanna test. Gave the trident the Hanna reading of 8.5, did the calibration with the tank water and immediately ran a test when it was done. Trident said 7.15. This thing is driving me crazy. It came in accurate for Alk and Mg, but my Ca reading was WAY off (600 compared to several other tests reading in the mid 400s) and now Ca is much closer, but Alk is way off. I just got off the phone with them and they told me to run a calibration with their solution, then test the remaining solution with my other tests. Calibration bottle reads 8.45/460/1355, my 3rd party tests Hanna/salifert both 9.3, salifert Ca 465, Aquaforest Mg 1340. Post calibration test results of my tank water from trident 7.69/460/1355. 3rd party results of tank water post calibration 8.5/450/1355. There is definitely something wrong with the Alk reading. They can’t tell me that both Hanna and Salifert are both exactly wrong. All 3 of the LFS in my area have tested my water on numerous occasions and they are all fairly close to my Hanna/salifert results as well. If Neptune doesn’t switch this one out or come up with a solution I’ll be contacting BRS and then my credit card company. There is no reason I should have to “mentally calibrate” a $600 machine, when the $50 Hanna can give me accurate consistent results.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibration bottle reads 8.45/460/1355, my 3rd party tests Hanna/salifert both 9.3, salifert Ca 465, Aquaforest Mg 1340. Post calibration test results of my tank water from trident 7.69/460/1355. 3rd party results of tank water post calibration 8.5/450/1355.

Out of curiosity have you calibrated until complete and then run a manual combined test on the trident and compare those numbers to the reference solution used?

In short run through the calibration test, leave the sample line in the reference bottle, and then run a combined test manually and compare those test results to the solution.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a slightly older thread and I have had mine for about three years now. It's never really been that accurate or at least against hanna with consistent 1ml reagent and process. However, I seem to remember calibrating against the water itself and the Hanna readings one time. The results were much closer.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back