Trident controlled dosing not quite right

pirarucu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was using trident and two programmed BRS dosing pumps that used Trident results to adjust dosing of Ca and Alk. Though there was some fluctuation, Ca and Alk were relatively stable (Ca = 465, Alk = 10 dkh). I do run a little Jebao pump just under where all my dosing falls in the sump to mix them. But I never felt confident in my improvised system, so I purchased a Neptune DOS pump to be able to have a reliable Trident controlled dosing system that I could "forget" about. But it has been over one week since I installed my DOS pump and enabled it to be controlled by Trident (following Neptune's directions), and my Ca and Alk both have continued to steadly decline. Ca is now at 400 and Alk at 9.5. I increased the daily amounts of Ca and Alk with no success. I am confident I now am dosing almost twice as much Ca and Alk than my mixed tank takes up. Something is off here and I can't tell what. I am thinking it could be that DOS is dosing Ca and Alk too close apart in time intervals and that is causing them to precipitate. Before, when I had the BRS pumps, Alk and Ca were dosed at 1-hr intervals apart. The DOS is dosing them in something less than 10-min apart. Any one has any ideas?

Many thanks!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated the DOS? It's also possible the tubes don't have tight seals so the DOS is not pumping as much as it reports. I always soak the DOS tubing in near-boiling water to soften it before connecting to the DOS heads for a tight fit.

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was using trident and two programmed BRS dosing pumps that used Trident results to adjust dosing of Ca and Alk. Though there was some fluctuation, Ca and Alk were relatively stable (Ca = 465, Alk = 10 dkh). I do run a little Jebao pump just under where all my dosing falls in the sump to mix them. But I never felt confident in my improvised system, so I purchased a Neptune DOS pump to be able to have a reliable Trident controlled dosing system that I could "forget" about. But it has been over one week since I installed my DOS pump and enabled it to be controlled by Trident (following Neptune's directions), and my Ca and Alk both have continued to steadly decline. Ca is now at 400 and Alk at 9.5. I increased the daily amounts of Ca and Alk with no success. I am confident I now am dosing almost twice as much Ca and Alk than my mixed tank takes up. Something is off here and I can't tell what. I am thinking it could be that DOS is dosing Ca and Alk too close apart in time intervals and that is causing them to precipitate. Before, when I had the BRS pumps, Alk and Ca were dosed at 1-hr intervals apart. The DOS is dosing them in something less than 10-min apart. Any one has any ideas?

Many thanks!
on your alk value Im guessing you have it at 10. What do you have your range set as? I believe if you have your range set at +/- say .30 that it would be controlled from 9.7 to 10.3 if your alk falls out of that range setting it would switch to whatever you have your volume set at in the Modify Interval section and it would not switch back to the controlled settings until your alk was back within the 9.7-10.3 range using my example of +/- .30. If that makes sense. The calcium should work the same way. If I am wrong someone with more knowledge please correct me.

OP
OP
P

pirarucu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SuncrestReef, thanks for the tip. Yes, I did calibrate the DOS and have what I think are tightly adjusted tubing with no leaks.

geversole01, below is a print out of the alk dosing settings. Control limit is +/- 35%, Control value is 11, and control range 0.4 dkh. I see what you mean. But I was thinking that if control value = 11, and control range = 0.4, then alk should vary between 10.6 and 11.4. Or do I have this wrong?

One correction about what I said. My take uptake is about 75 ml/day of BRS two-part alk and ca. DOS is now dosing 95 ml/day of each, and alk and ca still are dropping.

1591147204849.png

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have tested the trident readings against another Calc tester?
Also if you have a build up of precipitate in the sump or in the sand or pumps it can bond with that newly dosed calcium very quickly. I was having a similar issue the other day and after removing a 8"x1/8" thick crusted plate that was under the riser my skimmer rested on, the Calcium consumption went back to normal.

OP
OP
P

pirarucu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check the trident readings... and there is no observable precipitate in the tank or sump.

U

User1

View Badges
Have you calibrated the DOS? It's also possible the tubes don't have tight seals so the DOS is not pumping as much as it reports. I always soak the DOS tubing in near-boiling water to soften it before connecting to the DOS heads for a tight fit.

Was doing a drive by read on this since I didn't really have any recommendation or answer but your reply caught my attention. Thank you for sharing this tip because I never thought of it and it will help :) I saw a few drip marks under by DOS and was thinking of re-seating it. I will do this first :)

U

User1

View Badges
I assume you have tested the trident readings against another Calc tester?
Also if you have a build up of precipitate in the sump or in the sand or pumps it can bond with that newly dosed calcium very quickly. I was having a similar issue the other day and after removing a 8"x1/8" thick crusted plate that was under the riser my skimmer rested on, the Calcium consumption went back to normal.

Also a great tip, both. Another one is to make sure the drip / dosing lines are away from the Tridents sample line.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back