Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve cut my tubing for my trident as I did not know it should not be cut until I read this thread but my readings are still accurate with my Hanna checker.

DoobDob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve cut my tubing for my trident as I did not know it should not be cut until I read this thread but my readings are still accurate with my Hanna checker.

How much of the hose did you cut off? I cut about 8" of mine, not sure if its still calibrating or whatever since its been installed for less then 24 hours. How long does it take to be calibrated?

Anyway, I got a quick replay from Neptune Systems, and basically they said to do what I first asked in this thread, to switch the waste line with the sample line if I haven't cut that one, will be doing that tomorrow.

Heres their replay:

Thank you for your inquiry.

If you did not cut the waste line, swap the lines out, and then run it like that until we get back in to the office, and you can then purchase a new sample line from the webstore.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.

Last edited:

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of the hose did you cut off? I cut about 8" of mine, not sure if its still calibrating or whatever since its been installed for less then 24 hours. How long does it take to be calibrated?

Anyway, I got a quick replay from Neptune Systems, and basically they said to do what I first asked in this thread, to switch the waste line with the sample line if I haven't cut that one, will be doing that tomorrow.

Heres their replay:

Thank you for your inquiry.

If you did not cut the waste line, swap the lines out, and then run it like that until we get back in to the office, and you can then purchase a new sample line from the webstore.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or need any additional clarification.
I cut about 12” of the feed line and maybe 3 feet of the waste line. Unless I missed it, I did not see anywhere in the instructions where it said not to cut those lines. when I first started my trident, I let it run for about 2 weeks. It was giving me consistent readings. I then used the calibration fluid and m readings were adjusted slightly but mainly consistent with what I was already getting. I double checked with my Hanna checker for alk and cal and the results were very close. Especially for the alk. Until I started reading this thread, I did not think anything of it. So, I will leave it as is. Maybe because I started the trident with the cut lines and never made any adjustments afterwards is why I have no issue. I also think it is best to get your Sample water from a high flow area of the tank other than where you dose.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that I always knew was going to be an issue with the Trident is the plastic Couvette getting stained by the reagents. I kind of wonder why they did not include a third line for RODI water to rinse the Couvette out after each test. The staining is going to keep throwing off the readings but this can be offset by re-calibration after each reagent bottle change. I am wondering if some of those earlier posts about Calcium going off could be due to the stains building up faster on some units depending on the environment where the Trident is stored.
Yours is actually pretty clean. I was getting inconsistent alk readings. After trying everything and Neptune monitoring it, they asked me to look at the vial and sure enough it was dirty. It had a film on all sides of the vial. They gave me instructions on how to open the unit and access the vial. I used a cotton swab and cleaned the vial and it worked great afterwards. I wasnt using a filter sock before but Im using them now. It may have not been the culprit but I just want to make sure there's less stuff floating around that can get sucked up into the sample line.

You can see the film on the vial wall and some sediment on the plug (small white pill looking thing on the bottom)
IMG_4132.jpg

Here's a shot looking down the vial.
IMG_4135.jpg

This is how dirty it was.
IMG_4137.JPG
Something that I always knew was going to be an issue with the Trident is the plastic Couvette getting stained by the reagents. I kind of wonder why they did not include a third line for RODI water to rinse the Couvette out after each test. The staining is going to keep throwing off the readings but this can be offset by re-calibration after each reagent bottle change. I am wondering if some of those earlier posts about Calcium going off could be due to the stains building up faster on some units depending on the environment where the Trident is stored. You can only compensate for the build up of stains to a certain point and then even the calibration won't help. Also the Accuracy drops off when small changes in parameters occur as the stains color decreases the units ability to detect small changes. The big question will be how long does this take to happen? When it does the unit will need to be cleaned down or completely service. Given the way dosing pump work my guess is that it's probably going to be more efficient to just change the Dosing head, all the lines and Couvette with mixing pill when the time comes.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the trident first can out, there were discussions about periodic maintenance and the availability of a ‘health kit’. Presumably this kit would include those things likely to degrade over time. I’ve heard nothing since launch about those kits .... perhaps once the offices reopen. My trident just passed the one year mark. I’ve popped the front cover and the cuvette in mine is not stained ..... not yet.

U

User1

View Badges
I cut about 12” of the feed line and maybe 3 feet of the waste line. Unless I missed it, I did not see anywhere in the instructions where it said not to cut those lines. when I first started my trident, I let it run for about 2 weeks. It was giving me consistent readings. I then used the calibration fluid and m readings were adjusted slightly but mainly consistent with what I was already getting. I double checked with my Hanna checker for alk and cal and the results were very close. Especially for the alk. Until I started reading this thread, I did not think anything of it. So, I will leave it as is. Maybe because I started the trident with the cut lines and never made any adjustments afterwards is why I have no issue. I also think it is best to get your Sample water from a high flow area of the tank other than where you dose.

Did you look? I know it is in their FAQ for sure and been talked about many a time. The answer is a resounding NO.

DoobDob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look? I know it is in their FAQ for sure and been talked about many a time. The answer is a resounding NO.

It honestly doesn't say it on the setup instructions, and one shouldn't have to go off looking for that important bit of information when setting up. I just happened to browse through the FAQ after I was done setting mine up. ;)

U

User1

View Badges
It honestly doesn't say it on the setup instructions, and one shouldn't have to go off looking for that important bit of information when setting up. I just happened to browse through the FAQ after I was done setting mine up. ;)

I understand. I believe the setup task and card though is just that. A guide to setup. I'd imagine if it was a more detailed booklet maybe. I don't know - it doesn't matter, right? :).

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. I believe the setup task and card though is just that. A guide to setup. I'd imagine if it was a more detailed booklet maybe. I don't know - it doesn't matter, right? :).

They should have put a red sticker on the outside of the plastic bag that contains the hoses and cabling saying "DO NOT CUT THE HOSES" and in finer print "Please read online Instructions for details".

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if someone can tell me that if while using trident and dos when using controlled dosing am I supposta get a text alarm when my alk drops below my set point and reverts back to manual dosing? For instance it’s set at 7.7dkh with .2 +- so if dkh gets to 7.47 should I get alarm along with revert to my pre set 50ml setting. Hope this makes sense

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so now that the Trident has been released, we wanted to create a new thread with links to the information out there on the Trident as well as answer, to the best of our ability, additional questions from hobbyists. From that feedback, we will update our official FAQ with those questions when it seems like they will be "Frequently Asked."

We hope that this thread can stay on topic, stay productive and also does not devolve with unhelpful posts from those that may have no real interest in the Trident, and whose only desire is to foment unrest.

The Trident goes/went on sale at midnight, PDT, 5/8/2019.

Here are the links:

Launch video: https://bit.ly/2PX0oPm
Product page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/expansion-modules/trident/
Official FAQ: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/faq/
Trident Support Information Page: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/
Neptune Systems Community Trident Forum: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forumdisplay.php?84-Trident-Marine-Aquarium-Water-Analyzer
Reagent Ordering: https://www.neptunesystems.com/reagents
5/7 #LetsTalkReef livestream: https://bit.ly/2vOZcEu
5/8 Launch Day Update: https://bit.ly/2WHBKVL

Here are additional questions we have answered already in this thread and, likely, elsewhere.

What is Trident?
Automatic, continuous water tester for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

Do I need an Apex to use a Trident?
Yes

How many tests does Trident perform per day?
The Trident has the option to run as few as 4 test cycles per day up to 24 test cycles per day. The test cycles alternate between testing only alkalinity and testing all three parameters. The 4/2/2 schedule will result in 4 alkalinity tests per day, 2 calcium tests, and 2 magnesium tests.

Can I test more or less than the minimum schedule or in any different combination?
No, the provided schedules are necessary to maintain proper operation.

I don't want to test calcium or magnesium every day, can I turn those tests off?
No. The Trident alternates between testing all 3 (alk, cal, mag) and single alkalinity tests.

Installation

How far from my tank can I place Trident?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances! We suggest keeping the Trident less than 4ft from the tank or sump.

Can I cut or extend the sample line tubing?
The sample line is 5ft and cannot be cut or extended under any circumstances!

Should I place the Trident above my water line? Below?
It can be placed wherever the tube reaches but placing it below the waterline can risk a siphon to occur and drain water from your tank should something disconnect the sample tube.

Reagent Info

How long in between reagent replacement?
Reagents will last 2 months when testing on the 4/2/2 schedule.

What is the reagent shelf-life?
1 year when sealed.

Can the reagents get cold? Hot?
Reagents should be kept at room temperature and not exposed to bright sunlight.

Is there a reagent subscription plan?
It's possible if there is interest - let us know!

Maintenance Info

What do I need to do to maintain Trident?
Besides replacing reagents and letting it calibrate with a standard solution every couple of months, it is suggested to perform service on the Trident roughly every 18-24 months.

Can I perform the servicing myself?
Yes! You will be able to order a maintenance kit for less than $100. We are still determining all of the necessary included components and since this is quite a bit into the future, we want to get it right and not require too much or too little to be done.

Are there other servicing options?
Neptune Systems will offer an advanced replacement servicing option for between $150-$200 - there are not further details at this time.

Do I have to ship my Trident into Neptune Systems for the this servicing?
No! If you decide to service the unit yourself, then you do not have to ship the unit in. If we do the maintenance, there will be an advanced replacement option available - details to be released later. BUT NO DOWN TIME!

Automatic Dosing Control

Can Trident control my dosing pump to keep everything stable?
Yes, when paired with one or many Neptune DOS, the Apex will use the Trident data to safely and intelligently adjust dosing based on recent test results.

Will automatic dosing control work with my 3rd party dosing pump?
The short answer is no. However, since the Trident is providing the testing data back to the Apex, if you have an "on/off" type dosing pump, you could come up with your own dosing programming to use that data in different ways.

How does controlled dosing work?
After each Trident test, The Apex will use the Trident data to update the DOS head linked to each test and make small adjustments to attempt to course-correct and maintain stable parameters. If you typically dose 10ml of alkalinity, enabling controlled dosing will give the Trident the ability to change that dosage by 1-2ml depending on test results. There are safety limits in place to prevent a runaway condition that could harm your tank.

Do I need 2 DOSs to use dosing control?
No. You can choose to activate controlled dosing for a single parameter if you'd like. A single DOS can be used to control alkalinity and calcium, leaving magnesium to be manually dosed, for example.

What happens if Trident controlled dosing isn't working? Will it harm my tank?
Trident controlled dosing is very clever about not dosing too much or too little additive. Controlled dosing is only activated while the test results are within an expected range. If Trident + DOS control results in numbers that aren't staying stable, controlled dosing will temporarily be shut off and you will receive an alert to intervene. Dosing will go back to your baseline dosing value in the interim.

Can I use Trident with my calcium reactor?
At the moment, we don't have a task created to help program direct calcium reactor support, but it can be done through advanced programming. Another method would be to use the calcium reactor for 90% replenishment and use Trident + DOS to dose liquid additives for the remaining 10% of usage. This also adds a bit of redundancy if your calcium reactor ever goes offline.
Wondering if I can get an answer on the question above? Sorry if I missed it already posted here but a lot to read threw.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if someone can tell me that if while using trident and dos when using controlled dosing am I supposta get a text alarm when my alk drops below my set point and reverts back to manual dosing? For instance it’s set at 7.7dkh with .2 +- so if dkh gets to 7.47 should I get alarm along with revert to my pre set 50ml setting. Hope this makes sense
Doing the TCD task it should set up an alarm if you are below the min. or max. points. From what I have seen when my ALK was above my max set point; the DOS added my standard base amount. For Example; my standard15mla day dose with an allowed 30% deviation resulted in 15ml base dose being added that day as a failsafe.
Pic is the last step where it mentions the alarm triggers and failsafe amount during alarm conditions.
878E6941-3C74-4F72-A126-74D06D15E439.png

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have yet to get an alarm when not within the parameters. i have only had mine for about 1.5 months, but the numbers have been outside the setpoint a few times and i never got an alarm.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have yet to get an alarm when not within the parameters. i have only had mine for about 1.5 months, but the numbers have been outside the setpoint a few times and i never got an alarm.
Yes that’s what I’m going threw one thing I noticed if you look at Adams picture above it says period 24 hours so maybe it needs to be outside those peramiters or over 24 hours to set alarm ? Idk I’m guessing I’ve noticed it within that 24 hours and corrected it myself could be my issue . But I’m thinking it should send alarm if ever outside my set values regardless

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can just add an alarm in your alarm outlet, very easy. Just like you can do "if PH < 7.7 then on", you can put code with Alk, Mg, Ca, etc.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just add an alarm in your alarm outlet, very easy. Just like you can do "if PH < 7.7 then on", you can put code with Alk, Mg, Ca, etc.
Except if not getting an alarm the way we doing it this means possibly have an issue

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except if not getting an alarm the way we doing it this means possibly have an issue

You will only get a notification doing it that way if you add the error Trident condition to your alarms. I would highly recommend doing so, so you will also get alerts if the waste is full, sample error, etc.

Initial setup should add the individual inputs alarms.

"If Error Trident_X_X Then on"

Instructions are always a good resource to utilize:

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 1.08.56 PM.png

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will only get a notification doing it that way if you add the error Trident condition to your alarms. I would highly recommend doing so, so you will also get alerts if the waste is full, sample error, etc.

If you scroll up and look at Adams picture it says if alk falls below then an alarm will be triggered. Does not say you need to set up and alert it says alarm will be triggered.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this if error trident code send alarm if values are past set points? I’m thinking no cause it does not put trident into error state

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Instructions are always a good resource to utilize:

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 1.08.56 PM.png
Yes but that only sends alarm if trident is in error state not if outside of set value

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back