Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Fusion, go to Inputs, then select Alk (or Ca or Mg). Under Configuration, click on the Advanced Tab, then under Alarm, select When Outside Range, which you can set in the Min and Max below to match the controlled dosing range.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling I’ve disabled mine in the past and forgot how I did it to turn back on

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Fusion, go to Inputs, then select Alk (or Ca or Mg). Under Configuration, click on the Advanced Tab, then under Alarm, select When Outside Range, which you can set in the Min and Max below to match the controlled dosing range.
This is probably what I did at home on my pc and can’t find it threw the app on my phone

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had their tridents readings just go nuts? Mine are bouncing around all over the place.

Capture.JPG

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i figured out my problem. one of the tubes inside trident was disconnected. i had a pool of purple reagent under my trident today. the red circled tube was diconneted from the hub.

1.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How close does this need to be to the aquarium/sump? My controller cabinet will be about 8 ft away from my current set up.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence is there any way that Neptune can release a firmware update that will allow Trident users to create custom testing times? My Trident and controlled dosing through a DOS is dialed in now and I feel I could get away with two or less test times a day. I think this would help out all of us that are running low on reagent and unable to buy some with the out of stock issues on most sites. I often find myself switching to manual to test once or twice daily to save on reagent. I just wish there was an option for more flexibility.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence is there any way that Neptune can release a firmware update that will allow Trident users to create custom testing times? My Trident and controlled dosing through a DOS is dialed in now and I feel I could get away with two or less test times a day. I think this would help out all of us that are running low on reagent and unable to buy some with the out of stock issues on most sites. I often find myself switching to manual to test once or twice daily to save on reagent. I just wish there was an option for more flexibility.
There is a reason why the minimum testing is 2 cal and mag and 4x a day alk and that is the lines are always full of tank water and regents and by this many times a day being tested it helps to prevent clogging and staining of internals. If trident is not being used that is why there is a shut down procedure which drains the entire machine. Barely using trident or less then the min will cause problems

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason why the minimum testing is 2 cal and mag and 4x a day alk and that is the lines are always full of tank water and regents and by this many times a day being tested it helps to prevent clogging and staining of internals. If trident is not being used that is why there is a shut down procedure which drains the entire machine. Barely using trident or less then the min will cause problems

I get that but why would there even be a manual mode then? I had it in manual mode for over two weeks with testing just ALK twice a day until I received new reagents. Put new reagents in, calibrated, and everything ran flawlessly.

Honestly, the way I look at it is this is MY Trident. Neptune can put a disclaimer that they recommend 4 times a day and If I choose to test once a day and there is an issue then that is up to me.

Facts are facts. We have a product and given the situation at hand with the shutdown, etc is causing issues with receiving Reagents. I am not the only one with this issue. Just read the reviews on BRS, etc. 99% of the complaints are lack of reagents going back to the first of the year. So I guess I have a choice which is run out of Reagent and not use my Trident or run a risk of testing once a day? Personally, if those are my only options then I would choose to test once a day.

Either way. The answer is simple. If 4x a day is minimum then they need to release more reagents. If they cannot due to the pandemic and supply then I 100% get that but they need to help out the consumer to save reagent until they can get supply back up. I believe it should still be an option if I wanted to test this way. Kinda sucks that I am forced to test a minimum of 4x a day when the reagents are very limited and don't even last for the duration that they are listed for.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
I think they said 18 months, not sure though.

That is what I recall also during one of the streams they did. They also hinted at self serve / hobbyists option vs sending in vs the possibility of sending one in getting one in return sort of thing (they have a stand by pool or something). Not sure but i'm sure the current pandemic isn't helping with this though.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that but why would there even be a manual mode then? I had it in manual mode for over two weeks with testing just ALK twice a day until I received new reagents. Put new reagents in, calibrated, and everything ran flawlessly.

Honestly, the way I look at it is this is MY Trident. Neptune can put a disclaimer that they recommend 4 times a day and If I choose to test once a day and there is an issue then that is up to me.

Facts are facts. We have a product and given the situation at hand with the shutdown, etc is causing issues with receiving Reagents. I am not the only one with this issue. Just read the reviews on BRS, etc. 99% of the complaints are lack of reagents going back to the first of the year. So I guess I have a choice which is run out of Reagent and not use my Trident or run a risk of testing once a day? Personally, if those are my only options then I would choose to test once a day.

Either way. I believe it should still be an option if I wanted to test this way. Kinda sucks that I am forced to test a minimum of 4x a day when the reagents are very limited and don't even last for the duration that they are listed for.

So just for clarity because you spoke in the present tense, 2 month reagent packs ARE currently in stock at SaltwaterAquarium, MarineDepot, and BulkReefSupply. The reagent shortage was almost all related to covid shutdowns- which sucked, I agree.

I’m not sure I’m in total agreement with the “it’s mine” logic. Sure, it’s your trident. But when the tubes all clog and it doesn’t work because of the reduced testing interval causing precipitation in the lines, you call Neptune for warranty service and/or will bash the product online. Many products have features that are intended to protect itself and to ensure a reasonable lifespan- for example consumer electronics shut down if too hot or have features that protect battery lifespan etc. This minimum testing interval was never a secret- reagents are literally advertised with how long they last.

Last edited:

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just for clarity because you spoke in the present tense, 2 month reagent packs ARE currently in stock at SaltwaterAquarium, MarineDepot, and BulkReefSupply. The reagent shortage was almost all related to covid shutdowns- which sucked, I agree.

I’m not sure I’m in total agreement with the “it’s mine” logic. Sure, it’s your trident. But when the tubes all clog and it doesn’t work because of the reduced testing interval causing precipitation in the lines, you call Neptune for warranty service and/or will bash the product online. Many products have features that are intended to protect itself and to ensure a reasonable lifespan- for example consumer electronics shut down if too hot or have features that protect battery lifespan etc. This minimum testing interval was never a secret- reagents are literally advertised with how long they last.

Oh, I know as I just purchased the almost $50 for a 6 week supply today from Marine Depot because there are never 6 month reagents anywhere in stock. The $200 a year sell on reagents is slowly slipping away at $50 for a 6 week max supply.

If the 4x a day testing is simple as keeping liquid in the lines and helping the tubes from glazing, etc. Then why couldn't they just make it so if you chose to test 2 times a day then it would actually run an additional two times a day sucking in aquarium water to keep the lines primed, etc.

Please don't take this in any way that I am bashing the Trident. I love my Trident with the controlled dosing with a DOS. One of my best buys to date. However, I wish there was an option or a workaround for those that don't want to test a min of 4x a day.

U

User1

View Badges
Oh, I know as I just purchased the almost $50 for a 6 week supply today from Marine Depot because there are never 6 month reagents anywhere in stock. The $200 a year sell on reagents is slowly slipping away at $50 for a 6 week max supply.

If the 4x a day testing is simple as keeping liquid in the lines and helping the tubes from glazing, etc. Then why couldn't they just make it so if you chose to test 2 times a day then it would actually run an additional two times a day sucking in aquarium water to keep the lines primed, etc.

Please don't take this in any way that I am bashing the Trident. I love my Trident with the controlled dosing with a DOS. One of my best buys to date. However, I wish there was an option or a workaround for those that don't want to test a min of 4x a day.

So here is the deal. I think it was on Feb 20th that Neptune did a live stream and they talked a little bit about the reagent shortage. If you haven't watched it I would recommend it. There are a couple points they noted along the lines of:

1. Hobbyists are testing more than what they polled, collected data on, projected, etc
2. Higher testing, strained reagent supply pipeline / projections
3. Said reagent delay is causing delay in launching Trident to other regions

At the time Covid wasn't in full effect but it is now. So let us just add a 4th, Covid. Now how does this factor in to testing limits? I don't really know other than I'm guessing it may be related to reagent shelf life. Just a guess. Also I'm guessing that covid is preventing them from assessing and doing the data analysis on reagents, supply, shelf life, maintenance, and software changes to tie it all together.

TL: DR - they have the data. I'm sure they will dive into and see how hobbyists are using it then see what they can do to address concerns. Just need to work around C19 a bit.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the deal. I think it was on Feb 20th that Neptune did a live stream and they talked a little bit about the reagent shortage. If you haven't watched it I would recommend it. There are a couple points they noted along the lines of:

1. Hobbyists are testing more than what they polled, collected data on, projected, etc
2. Higher testing, strained reagent supply pipeline / projections
3. Said reagent delay is causing delay in launching Trident to other regions

At the time Covid wasn't in full effect but it is now. So let us just add a 4th, Covid. Now how does this factor in to testing limits? I don't really know other than I'm guessing it may be related to reagent shelf life. Just a guess. Also I'm guessing that covid is preventing them from assessing and doing the data analysis on reagents, supply, shelf life, maintenance, and software changes to tie it all together.

TL: DR - they have the data. I'm sure they will dive into and see how hobbyists are using it then see what they can do to address concerns. Just need to work around C19 a bit.

I 100% agree with you. I would much rather buy the 6-month supplies but I am more than happy to buy the 2-month supplies until everything goes back to normal. However, I wish there was a workaround for all of us while this is happening.

U

User1

View Badges
I 100% agree with you. I would much rather buy the 6-month supplies but I am more than happy to buy the 2-month supplies until everything goes back to normal. However, I wish there was a workaround for all of us while this is happening.

Agreed. I believe all of us with tridents lunge at the 6 month kits due to cost. I'm optimistic that they will look at this but it is just an option of mine :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back