Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoCivil_Engineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see my awc program on the dos automatically adjust to bring in more new saltwater to compensate!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this cant be answered because of NDA but im curious how they are able to test Ca and MG with Just one reagent bottle. Most test kits use 3 plus reagents/indicators for Ca and Mg is at a minimum 2 for Titration
magic

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that the Trident comes with and is calibrated for a 5' tube connection for filling it up for testing, My question is why does it have to be that long especially when most people will place it under their tanks in close quarters to their sump? Couldn't that be shortened?

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that the Trident comes with and is calibrated for a 5' tube connection for filling it up for testing, My question is why does it have to be that long especially when most people will place it under their tanks in close quarters to their sump? Couldn't that be shortened?
I’m sure you can cut it down.

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you can cut it because I think it's calibrated to fill the testing equipment with the 5' tubing in the calculation!

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you’d have to calibrate it yourself. Or at least I hope you do because of wear on the head and possible precipitation in the tubing over time. I’m assuming though as the details can’t yet be released.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is any aquarium problem that can be solved with a zip tie really a problem?

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The 5’ internal volume is calculated to perform the precise tests. This insures the Trident pulls in exactly the correct amount of liquid for each test and uses the smallest amount of sample possible. If the tube was shortened the Trident would pull in too much sample and all of the values would be incorrect. You also don’t want to have very long 20’ intake lines as this much liquid needs to be pulled for each test in order to be testing on current water rather than water sitting in the lines for hours or days.

If you have the Trident right next to the tank or sump just coil up the excess.

NSI is testing using the 5’ length. In the future a long length may be possible but it would a separate fixed length that is calculated separately.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have one? I’d think they would have you calibrate it to keep it as accurate as possible. There are variables that will drift with time and so would the values. I’m not part of the nsi though so I’m not sure if this is available. If it was me I’d have it automatically calibrate with photeyes and a timer on the pump if the photo eye was to get a bubble in the tube. There are of course better options than photo eyes but they would be harder to fit in the trident.
The 5’ internal volume is calculated to perform the precise tests. This insures the Trident pulls in exactly the correct amount of liquid for each test and uses the smallest amount of sample possible. If the tube was shortened the Trident would pull in too much sample and all of the values would be incorrect. You also don’t want to have very long 20’ intake lines as this much liquid needs to be pulled for each test in order to be testing on current water rather than water sitting in the lines for hours or days.

If you have the Trident right next to the tank or sump just coil up the excess.

NSI is testing using the 5’ length. In the future a long length may be possible but it would a separate fixed length that is calculated separately.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have one? I’d think they would have you calibrate it to keep it as accurate as possible. There are variables that will drift with time and so would the values. I’m not part of the nsi though so I’m not sure if this is available. If it was me I’d have it automatically calibrate with photeyes and a timer on the pump if the photo eye was to get a bubble in the tube. There are of course better options than photo eyes but they would be harder to fit in the trident.

Yes I’m a NSI and have one.

oF9r1mVl.jpg

This tubing length discussion was brought up a few times internally early on by various members, including myself.

Removing as many variables as possible is best for the precision of the tests and ease of use for users.

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get the idea that it's one reagent? Even the demo units at MACNA and other shows have 3 bottles in the tray. Was there some new announcement that I missed?

He means 1 bottle for calcium and mag
My red sea uses multiple reags for both.
I think all popular kits use multiple reags for both cal/mag

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m a NSI and have one.

oF9r1mVl.jpg

This tubing length discussion was brought up a few times internally early on by various members, including myself.

Removing as many variables as possible is best for the precision of the tests and ease of use for users.
I know you are on a nondisclosure so you might not be able to answer or maybe @Terence can but does it calibrate itself every so often? I am assuming that it uses a small pump(think I read that, like a one head peristaltic pump?) and after time, much like @Terence suggested on the brstv episode on water changes with the dos that the heads should be swapped out 6-12 months depending on use. Would this be the same? I know the volume is tiny in comparison though....

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are on a nondisclosure so you might not be able to answer or maybe @Terence can but does it calibrate itself every so often? I am assuming that it uses a small pump(think I read that, like a one head peristaltic pump?) and after time, much like @Terence suggested on the brstv episode on water changes with the dos that the heads should be swapped out 6-12 months depending on use. Would this be the same? I know the volume is tiny in comparison though....

It does use a single pump. If the pump drifted out of calibration based on ml/min it would be very negligible on your test results. All values would skew at the same time because there is only one pump moving all liquids. They would be proportional.

I can’t comment on part replacement. But remember that Terence said the DOS heads should be replaced that often when used for automatic water changes. Those peristaltic pumps are moving gallons a day/week. The Trident tests in the range of a few ml per day. Very small volumes and shorter cycles than the DOS.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any guesses on price? I want o have money saved up for when it comes out. Will $500 be enough?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been bouncing around in many videos between 500-600 and if I was to guess $599.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back