Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes... thats... expensive. Curious to see how it holds up against the ReefBot. I'd prefer to have something like this hooked to my Apex anyway, but you can do many more tests with ReefBot.... tough choice.

Hopefully the accuracy will be what makes the Trident stand out and worth the $
Where can I get reefbot from?

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes... thats... expensive. Curious to see how it holds up against the ReefBot. I'd prefer to have something like this hooked to my Apex anyway, but you can do many more tests with ReefBot.... tough choice.

I have my ReefBot connected to apex for logging and adjusting dosing :)...so it is definitely possible with some programming. The Trident will work well with apex and DOS for dosing out of the box, from what Terrance has hinted at.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ReefBot connected to apex for logging and adjusting dosing :)...so it is definitely possible with some programming.

Oh really? I'm not as concerned about dosing (I'm fine setting that up manually based on tests results) but thats really cool that you can. Its the actual test results I'd love to keep within Apex. I like all my graphs in one place lol

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I looked into the reefbot but I think the cost of the Trident and the reagents will pay for itself in time & energy (I hope). From what I understand, The Trident will test Alk, CA, and mag while the reefbot will do the same but you will need to purchase individual tests kits to supply the reefbot. The other alternative would be the KH director but that will only monitor and maintain Alk. the way I see it:

Reefbot - Maybe more costly to run over time and will not filter information into your Apex ( guessing here) but you can also run various tests outside of the big 3
KH Director - Only manages KH but does a pretty good job from the reviews I have read ( $800)
Trident - Testing big three with 2 months worth of standard testing @ $40 (4 alk tests a day and CA and Mag 2x a day)

I have no problem being a guinea pig and testing the trident out for myself--- others on the forum have said they may not rely on it right away. Most likely I will not automate any sort of dosing through Apex because of the tests on the trident. I will more than likely have it just "report" its findings which will allow me to make a more informed decision on dosing. Plus, I will be running a calcium reactor with it so that may prove to be my only option since it is a dastaco and i cannot run it nonstop as it is oversized for my current system.

Keep posting yall!!! lets get to 2k!!!

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ReefBot connected to apex for logging and adjusting dosing :)...so it is definitely possible with some programming. The Trident will work well with apex and DOS for dosing out of the box, from what Terrance has hinted at.

I wasnt sure whether the reefbot could report to the apex--- Was it complicated to establish the connection?

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? I'm not as concerned about dosing (I'm fine setting that up manually based on tests results) but thats really cool that you can. Its the actual test results I'd love to keep within Apex. I like all my graphs in one place lol
Good info--- for some reason I was under the impression that it had its own app but from the sounds of it can report on the apex.

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence have the online retailers been notified of any anticipated release dates yet? Curious if there will be an opportunity to preorder

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see if any hints are given on the new episode of lets talk reef

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the reefbot but I think the cost of the Trident and the reagents will pay for itself in time & energy (I hope). From what I understand, The Trident will test Alk, CA, and mag while the reefbot will do the same but you will need to purchase individual tests kits to supply the reefbot. The other alternative would be the KH director but that will only monitor and maintain Alk. the way I see it:

Reefbot - Maybe more costly to run over time and will not filter information into your Apex ( guessing here) but you can also run various tests outside of the big 3
KH Director - Only manages KH but does a pretty good job from the reviews I have read ( $800)
Trident - Testing big three with 2 months worth of standard testing @ $40 (4 alk tests a day and CA and Mag 2x a day)

I have no problem being a guinea pig and testing the trident out for myself--- others on the forum have said they may not rely on it right away. Most likely I will not automate any sort of dosing through Apex because of the tests on the trident. I will more than likely have it just "report" its findings which will allow me to make a more informed decision on dosing. Plus, I will be running a calcium reactor with it so that may prove to be my only option since it is a dastaco and i cannot run it nonstop as it is oversized for my current system.

GHL currently has the ION Director in the workings that will complement the KH Director.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't care much about letting it control my DOS, but what I really like about it is that it would allow me to manually dial in my parameters and maintain them on point.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statistics are skewed due to the numbers of operated vs. autonomous.

Lol no, actually they compensate for that. It’s not autonomous accidents verse manually operated accidents. They have accidents PER MILE TRAVELED etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

JMO - monitor the data - doing what ever you are currently doing re dosing. for the same length of time you would currently test. For example I test weekly (the Alk) - and only change my dosing +- 10% based on those readings. In other words - dont chase your tail :)

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're forgetting the Alkatronic which has been proven for 2 years now. I run an Alkatronic, and it controls my DaStaCo CA RX. It's the perfect combo in my opinion, and it actually is available :)

chap34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're forgetting the Alkatronic which has been proven for 2 years now. I run an Alkatronic, and it controls my DaStaCo CA RX. It's the perfect combo in my opinion, and it actually is available :)
For $900 and only one element...

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SawCJack00 Sure the Alkatronic would do great. I was just looking for more in terms of a return for my money. If the Trident does come in around $500-600 plus $40 per 2 months testing, I feel the return on my purchase would pay itself off faster with the trident.

As for my tank--- I feel I run a pretty tight ship and test alk daily @MnFish1 but I am primarily acro heavy. If I can alleviate myself from testing daily that would be great plus I can have a better understanding of my alk/ca/mag consumption--- It really just comes down to your own needs. If you dont need or want a trident then that may work for you but I feel that it will help with the stability and understanding of my reef which I have invested heavily in. To each his own...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For $900 and only one element...
yeah - 900$ and the only element thats important. Lets check the Mg every 20 minutes - LOL - if I had a product that did that people would laugh. I wonder why people dont laugh at a product that wants to test Mg every couple hours...... You can go figure - I dont care...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SawCJack00 Sure the Alkatronic would do great. I was just looking for more in terms of a return for my money. If the Trident does come in around $500-600 plus $40 per 2 months testing, I feel the return on my purchase would pay itself off faster with the trident.

As for my tank--- I feel I run a pretty tight ship and test alk daily @MnFish1 but I am primarily acro heavy. If I can alleviate myself from testing daily that would be great plus I can have a better understanding of my alk/ca/mag consumption--- It really just comes down to your own needs. If you dont need or want a trident then that may work for you but I feel that it will help with the stability and understanding of my reef which I have invested heavily in. To each his own...
here is a question - how often do you act on the alk you measure daily .......... the answer for me is - I dont act unless its a significant change - ie 1 dKH or greater - and even then I would wonder. SO perhaps (despite the number of companies wanting you to keep a tight ship) you dont need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back