Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex uses the information from the Trident along with a “standard baseline” or “nominal” dosing level provided by the user, to slowly adjust up or down dosing in relation to that nominal level in order to keep the aquarium at the target level while keeping adjustments within a safe zone of adjustment.

I see. Thank you

One more question. I'm currently building a tank with a CA reactor and hoping to have Trident manage it. Does Trident work with a CA reactor or will I need to set my alk level on the reactor low and use an alk doser with Trident to reach target?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thank you

One more question. I'm currently building a tank with a CA reactor and hoping to have Trident manage it. Does Trident work with a CA reactor or will I need to set my alk level on the reactor low and use an alk doser with Trident to reach target?

You can do both. Although the former will not have a task. At least not out of the gate.

I believe the safest solution for those with a calcium reactor, regardless of whether or not they have a Trident, is to have two part and a DOS on standby just in case, or to provide that last mile of fine tuning. If you have a trident and a dos, that last mile is fine tuned for you automatically.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My computer 10 years ago or more had a USB cable. But it won’t work with my iPhone XR.

But.... isn’t that the definition of the included iPhone cable? Still the same on the XR- The provided USB to lightning one.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But.... isn’t that the definition of the included iPhone cable? Still the same on the XR- The provided USB to lightning one.

This is actually a pretty good example. The USB is a communication standard. So is AquaBus. But maybe think of it the other way around. Making your iphone3g work with the most current iPhone software, apps, and peripherals. Even though both the newest and 3g both can connect to usb. The issue is not in the common interface itself, but rather in the power and capabilities of the device. Again, this has been discussed already in this thread and elsewhere ad nauseum.

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be under 2k--- @Terence I must admit--- in the position you have been in regarding the release of the Trident--- I commend you. I feel as though many were patient, others were not--- you and your team have undoubtedly kept us as up to date as possible with the inevitable hurdles you must have experienced in the process of putting out a piece of equipment that many have hoped for a long time would come to our hobby. I must also admit that I was looking at other options not because I wanted something outside of Apex but because of my need to monitor my parameters at a more detailed level. With that being said, I am excited that we are on the verge of a product that will help hobbyist move forward in monitoring our mini reefs health and I thank you and your team for working diligently to bring that to our hobby in a cost effective manner. so in short--- Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you guys really should be discussing is wagering on the over-under if the Trident will be released before or after this thread reaches 2000 posts!
Yes I understand but how will the trident know how much to dose? The problem is I know my tank. I don’t want the computer to be like oh alk is .1 below, let’s run the dosing schedule twice today so my alk is jacked up to 20dkh. I don’t want to lose 6k in corals to a computer assuming. So how will it know how much? I’m ok if it notifies me and gives me the option to dose and allows me to chose how much I want put into the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand but how will the trident know how much to dose? The problem is I know my tank. I don’t want the computer to be like oh alk is .1 below, let’s run the dosing schedule twice today so my alk is jacked up to 20dkh. I don’t want to lose 6k in corals to a computer assuming. So how will it know how much? I’m ok if it notifies me and gives me the option to dose and allows me to chose how much I want put into the tank.

You already can lose 6k of corals to a computer. You aren’t sitting next to the tank with a fire and a thermometer, are you? You use a heater. You’ve already accepted technology. This won’t be any different.

It won’t just randomly “decide” to randomly dose to 20dkh. No more than your car decides to slam on the brakes randomly.

Initially you’ll enter your typical starting dose of whatever product you’re using. APEX DOES NOT SELL A 2 PART.

So let’s say I’m currently dosing 60ml/day. My alk is 8.

I get a trident. Let’s say it will be allowed to adjust the dKh to 8, by modifying dosing by +- 10% MAX. If that is unable to maintain 8dkh, it notifies me.

There will obviously be safeguards. For example if trident gets a reading that doesn’t make sense, like an alkalinity reading of 10dkh right after 8dkh taken 15 minutes prior, it’ll throw an error message.

This is just my basic assumptions. People at apex know what they’re doing: that’s why it’s taken so long. If you don’t trust technology, go live off the grid.

However, I most likely won’t use the auto-dosing adjustments for a couple months. I’d want to make sure that my specific unit is reliable and accurate before I give it adjustment capability :)

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already can lose 6k of corals to a computer. You aren’t sitting next to the tank with a fire and a thermometer, are you? You use a heater. You’ve already accepted technology. This won’t be any different.

It won’t just randomly “decide” to randomly dose to 20dkh. No more than your car decides to slam on the brakes randomly.

Initially you’ll enter your typical starting dose of whatever product you’re using. APEX DOES NOT SELL A 2 PART.

So let’s say I’m currently dosing 60ml/day. My alk is 8.

I get a trident. Let’s say it will be allowed to adjust the dKh to 8, by modifying dosing by +- 10% MAX. If that is unable to maintain 8dkh, it notifies me.

There will obviously be safeguards. For example if trident gets a reading that doesn’t make sense, for example an alkalinity reading of 10 right after 8dkh taken 15 minutes prior, it’ll throw an error message.
I use $200 titanium heater with a built in thermometer, plugged into another thermometer that will kill the heater if the tank gets above 79, which is connected to my apex and temp probe which will kill everything if the tank gets above 79.5...
There’s tons of tech on my tank, I just don’t want a computers discernment choosing how much to dose my tank. It’s called common sense. Look at autonomous cars. They are supposed to be without error but they’ve been running people over, crashing, etc...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use $200 titanium heater with a built in thermometer, plugged into another thermometer that will kill the heater if the tank gets above 79, which is connected to my apex and temp probe which will kill everything if the tank gets above 79.5...
There’s tons of tech on my tank, I just don’t want a computers discernment choosing how much to dose my tank. It’s called common sense. Look at autonomous cars. They are supposed to be without error but they’ve been running people over, crashing, etc...

You just proved my point regarding your feelings towards technology.

Autonomous cars are MUCH safer than regular cars. Look at statistics before you make your claims ;).

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure YOU control how much extra it doses based on %. So if you only want it to dose a small % more than what you specify, then set it low. It has to be very configurable and NOT do more than you allow it to. And if the readings get outside your defined guardrails, it stops compensating and reverts to your manually specified dose.

Neptune would be nuts to not have safeguards in place.

I feel like this has been said already several times, but we still have people railing on a forum specifically about controllers and automation screaming “FIRE BAD!!!”

Don

Last edited:

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm assuming the Wizard will be pretty basic, but there are so many options you could use to fit whatever comfort level you need. You must be dosing already, correct? You could start by only adding an OFF statement if anything gets too high. If a bad reading causes it to not dose, it's not likely the end of the world. You could also use virtual outlets and get it so you dose what you already are, but if something gets too low it can dose a small amount and send you an alert. You're in control then, and the Apex takes action otherwise only if boundaries are crossed.

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see i am going to get blisters on my thumps by driving up the post on this thread

....better get those tridents ready i am on a post driving mission.....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol. why didn't we think of that :rolleyes:. You are pretty clearly missing the issues here.

Again. One of the key people with Triton are using custom complex code as posted above to solve this issue so it is real despite your trivializing. Adding intervals = more intervals to update which makes updating a real pain.
But - you haven't explained why they are doing it - when there are simpler options or? Perhaps Tim Triton had some time on his hands and likes developing code?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But - you haven't explained why they are doing it - when there are simpler options or? Perhaps Tim Triton had some time on his hands and likes developing code?

Actually I have but I'll repeat and post more evidence from yet another manufacture - this time Aqua Forest. Guidelines for dosing vary by manufacture but here is an extreme example from Aqua Forest that calls for a 1 hour gap between dosing solutions. Can you please explain to me how simply putting your dosing lines in separate locations will provide similar results as an hour long delay between dosing?

upload_2019-4-19_21-1-27.png

Further, I've been dosing Triton for quite a while now and never had problems with precipitation until my dose became very high relative to my water volume as the tank matured and coral / coralline became dense. So while many might be able to get away with either dealing with some minor precipitation or not having any due to relatively low stocking / dose, the struggle is real for those of us using products like Triton etc. for dense SPS reefs that are 100% reliant on dosing (no water changes etc). I'm currently tracking to spend about $1500 per year on core 7 for a 165g tank and would prefer not to waste it to precipitation.

Additionally, as already explained, Triton recommends dosing Core 7 Full Triton into the algae fuge to promote better algae growth and nutrient reduction. Again this is not unfounded and I have seen similar results. Moving dosing locations is at odds with this directive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back