Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what you are wanting you will likely need a complex code, and code it yourself. They "may" be able to add a Wizard to do this for you at some point, but I'd expect any task wizard to be pretty basic initially. It's on us to program it if we want more beyond that.

A custom "Triton Task" may come in handy for a few, but I doubt it's high on their list.

Agreed. But this goes beyond Triton as these dosing methods are becoming more and more prevalent (ATI and Aqua Forest are some others that could leverage this wizard). And with the amount of Triton solution that's being shipped these days I think the market is actually quite large (look at the photos Unique Corals posts of their Triton stock...).

Seems pretty easy for a Neptune coder to turn Tim's code above into a wizard that would take a single input to say dose 30 ml per day and it automatically push this to the tied dosing heads and calculate staggers automatically.

Last edited:

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the old days, we used to dose by shot glasses. Fill up the glass to a line, pour. Intervals and overlapping bs is operator error.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tim@Triton any chance you would mind chiming in on this code and it's necessity given the current features offered by DOS?

I would love to see code like this built into dosers like DOS through programming wizards but need a little support as many don't seem to see any issues with the current ways... many like myself are uncomfortable employing this code without a wizard to guarantee it's accuracy.

upload_2019-4-16_9-19-29-png.1041975

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for those saying just move the dosing location of the various parts, Triton recommends dosing into the algae fuge which I can attest having dosed both in the return chamber and algae fuge does make a difference on macro algae growth rate.

upload_2019-4-16_16-48-25.png

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is fraught with peril until it's figured out. I'm confident this is why they're taking their time to put it through its paces now with two rounds of NSI testing.

Well, not really - but I get your point. Yeah, that’s fine .... if actually true. Thrilled to be proven wrong, until then I’ll just use trident to monitor thank you very much. Plus I run a dialed in CaRx - no wish to be futzing with it.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*shrug* Ok. I understand your point.

Brandon

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to start somewhere. I sure don't plan on using Trident to automatically adjust dosing on my large DT from day one but would like to see it built out and proven over time. Perhaps I will test it on my coral QT tank so there's not much to lose.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what Terence said earlier, you will set min and max parameters to guide the automatic adjustments. That is a fantastic idea to me. I also fully understand your being cautious.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep checking back to see if it has been released but nothing yet. Wow. I bought the 2016 apex as soon as I heard about trident and waited and waited. Decided to leave the hobby about a month ago and still no release. I’ll be surprised if these are even for sale this year tbh. Sucks it took so long. I would have liked to had one. It might have made the difference me staying in.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. But this goes beyond Triton as these dosing methods are becoming more and more prevalent (ATI and Aqua Forest are some others that could leverage this wizard). And with the amount of Triton solution that's being shipped these days I think the market is actually quite large (look at the photos Unique Corals posts of their Triton stock...).

Seems pretty easy for a Neptune coder to turn Tim's code above into a wizard that would take a single input to say dose 30 ml per day and it automatically push this to the tied dosing heads and calculate staggers automatically.

That code actually doesn't look too bad. The Wizards do make it easier, but would bet someone here or at the Neptune Forums will have a detailed sample for this shortly after it's out. Maybe one putting limits in place, rather than direct control at first since it would be easier. The tasks are new for me so I've not actually tried one yet and the reverse of others. LOL, I don't trust Wizards :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autodosing is fraught with peril as it is. Especially with the many ways it is done outside of the apex.

Traveling across the sea and off the ends of the earth was fraught with peril.

If the Apex never lets you dose more than x% above or below what you already do now, and now+x% <> peril then all should be OK, right? And if you get to determine x?

We are leaning heavily on the side of safety with this.

I get that my view will be unpopular in a thread like this. I’m actually not at all opposed to something like Trident and plan to buy one once the initial rush to order has dissipated (and once we get past the initial ‘this is the best thing ever’ shillish reviews). Appreciate that you guys are taking a conservative approach. Not just because sensors/probes/tests can be wrong, but also because it takes some time for a dosed additive to distribute to equilibrium in a sizable body of water.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this question may sound stupid. Will the Apex system self dose based on the parameters set?
The reason I’m asking is different 2 part brands have different concentrations so donwe manually program the dose based on the solution we use? Not sure if I’m making sense. Thanks

TTNuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this question may sound stupid. Will the Apex system self dose based on the parameters set?
The reason I’m asking is different 2 part brands have different concentrations so donwe manually program the dose based on the solution we use? Not sure if I’m making sense. Thanks

That is literally what the most recent discussions in this thread have been about.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up. I don’t trust a computer to completely control my parameters. Too much to lose ;)

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe on the next talk reef they will gives us a little update :)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up. I don’t trust a computer to completely control my parameters. Too much to lose ;)

I remember when my grandpa didn’t trust the seatbelt. Said he’d rather be thrown clear.

I remember when my dad didn’t trust cruise control.

I get it. Once you understand it better you will see why it’s no less safe than what people are already doing. Unless you don’t like any tech at all to add stuff to your aquarium for you - then you only have to worry about your own user error I guess.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when my grandpa didn’t trust the seatbelt. Said he’d rather be thrown clear.

I remember when my dad didn’t trust cruise control.

I get it. Once you understand it better you will see why it’s no less safe than what people are already doing. Unless you don’t like any tech at all to add stuff to your aquarium for you - then you only have to worry about your own user error I guess.
I trust the trident for testing, I don’t trust a computer to pick an amount of chemicals to put in my tank.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t trust a computer to be more accurate on testing that yourself? There are guardrails to prevent things from going completely off the rails if something goes absolutely nuts. With this logic everyone should be hand dosing using old powdered reagents watching for color change.

And you always know what the Trident is doing. It’s not like it is hidden away somewhere.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back