Trident makes apex the best controller?

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that it isn't much more than $600. I was expecting it to be in the $1k+ range.
In my oppinion 600$ it's not expensive for the Trident unit if you really need that and if this device will work how they say. I wonder what will be the running price for this unit if we think about regents and calibrations solutions. Alkatronic it's from far more expensive, the running cost here in Norway it's about 200$ per year and deal only with Alk. Plus i don't reed best review about this unit. My point it's that i concern more about quality and running cost that the initial price...If we really need i think we can save this 600$ to buy it, but i also believe that will be close to 1000 in US and more expensive here in Europe..

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, looking around it seems that Alkatronic has the same accuracy Trident will have. Very interesting.

It is (unsurprisingly) behind. Moreover, I do think there has been a bit of a "FUD competitor's products with vaporware backed by your market share" effect here.

Still thinking on this whole thing. My opinion is not as certain as it was before.

Definitely a lot of people holding out on getting a Trident instead of choosing one of the other units for dKH that's currently on the market. Kicker is that everyone that is holding out, fail to realize that you still will be manually measuring each parameter (just not as frequently) for confirmation purposes. At least I know that I still do so even though I have the Alkatronic. What I have found is that my calcium and magnesium do not change drastically like my dKH can/will. Yeah calcium/magnesium is depleted but it is so much easier to maintain than dKH.

In my oppinion 600$ it's not expensive for the Trident unit if you really need that and if this device will work how they say. I wonder what will be the running price for this unit if we think about regents and calibrations solutions. Alkatronic it's from far more expensive, the running cost here in Norway it's about 200$ per year and deal only with Alk. Plus i don't reed best review about this unit. My point it's that i concern more about quality and running cost that the initial price...If we really need i think we can save this 600$ to buy it, but i also believe that will be close to 1000 in US and more expensive here in Europe..

I calculate that the running cost for reagent for me at least will be $110 for approximately 18 months using the Alkatronic (around $6/month). Not even a pack of cigarettes :cool:. Curious to the reviews that you mention about the Alkatronic unit, any links? I'd also like to know what @JonasRoman and the gang did about it. They definitely are top notch from a service perspective in my book. I know that I personally was infuriated with the unit at first, but once they resolved the noise issue, haven't had any further issues. Initial setup could have been easier to do, but once it was completed, the unit has been rock solid for me.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the thread about the Alkatronic for those that are interested: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-honest-opinion-about-the-alkatronic.372934/

I know some may say why is he supporting the unit so heavily? A few reasons honestly.

1. It works as intended
2. The support has been great
3. Competition in the market place continues to elevate the hobby to new levels
4. It works as intended
5. It works as intended

The Trident, KH Director, and KH guardian can be awesome units for those that have them; just like what works in my tank may not work in your tank. We all have our opinions and thoughts about how we want to do things. That is what makes us all different. Some are more successful than others, but does that mean that those that aren't as successful are failures? Sometimes in life in general it's about being in the right place at the right time. In other words being lucky. I have been lucky with my Alkatronic unit and it has worked for my intended use case. Doesn't mean that it will for yours. I encourage everyone that is reading this to make your decision based upon your use case and stick with it. We all have different needs, like I need a cigarette, but someone else doesn't smoke ;). Y'all get the point.

dimidragos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lot of people holding out on getting a Trident instead of choosing one of the other units for dKH that's currently on the market. Kicker is that everyone that is holding out, fail to realize that you still will be manually measuring each parameter (just not as frequently) for confirmation purposes. At least I know that I still do so even though I have the Alkatronic. What I have found is that my calcium and magnesium do not change drastically like my dKH can/will. Yeah calcium/magnesium is depleted but it is so much easier to maintain than dKH.

I calculate that the running cost for reagent for me at least will be $110 for approximately 18 months using the Alkatronic (around $6/month). Not even a pack of cigarettes :cool:. Curious to the reviews that you mention about the Alkatronic unit, any links? I'd also like to know what @JonasRoman and the gang did about it. They definitely are top notch from a service perspective in my book. I know that I personally was infuriated with the unit at first, but once they resolved the noise issue, haven't had any further issues. Initial setup could have been easier to do, but once it was completed, the unit has been rock solid for me.

Yes, i assume that was my mistake that i didnt reed all the thread before i write that comment. Now i see hahhy people here. Some wile before when i done some reserch about this AlKatronic system i reed not best opinnions about this device. I did not say that it's something wrong with it but after i reed about it my felling was that this Alkatronic have some issues. In same time because i plan to buy a alkalinity controler Alkatronic it's my second option after Apex Trident. I need to see what Apex release. I don't want to write bad about one product that i see how looks only in pictures and i feel sorry about that. About prices, i live in Norway, i have mention that and i consider the running price from here. Unfortunately a for bottle of reactive its over 200$ and the main unit it's 1400$...i just pay over 1500$ for my Apex 2016 with DOS pump....then we are not so lucky like you guys

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i assume that was my mistake that i didnt reed all the thread before i write that comment. Now i see hahhy people here. Some wile before when i done some reserch about this AlKatronic system i reed not best opinnions about this device. I did not say that it's something wrong with it but after i reed about it my felling was that this Alkatronic have some issues. In same time because i plan to buy a alkalinity controler Alkatronic it's my second option after Apex Trident. I need to see what Apex release. I don't want to write bad about one product that i see how looks only in pictures and i feel sorry about that. About prices, i live in Norway, i have mention that and i consider the running price from here. Unfortunately a for bottle of reactive its over 200$ and the main unit it's 1400$...i just pay over 1500$ for my Apex 2016 with DOS pump....then we are not so lucky like you guys

You will also run into the same thing with the reagent for the Trident as well with the pricing up there. Here if memory serves me correctly, I think they are shooting for $20/month. There it may be more around $35-$45/month. I recently edited my original post because it accurately reflects my opinion of the unit as it stands today. They did stumble a bit on initial launch, but they did react appropriately and for that reason, you cannot or anyone else can say that they aren't keeping our best interest. At least I cannot.

I am definitely interested in the Dosetronic that'll be coming out this year that works in conjunction with the Alkatronic. I am considered switching to a calcium reactor so not 100% on board with the Dosetronic yet. I'll know more once it has been released to the public. I am looking to switch to a calcium reactor now solely because I trust what the Alkatronic can do to help me tune it and I will ideally not have to continue to purchase Red Sea ABCD anymore; or drastically decrease my need for it.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait for the Trident, though I am not sure how I will use it- whether for monitoring and cutoff, or active control of dosing.

As a monitering/cutoff, I would program my BRS 1.1ml dosers with the normal oscillating pattern found here: https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php and then make adjustments to the program if I see any drop or increase. If there are any "surprising" results, it would notify me and/or cutoff dosing until the issue is fixed.

But given that the trident test 4 times a day, if I see that a consistent (around the clock) dosing schedule makes a swing similar to that of pH, I could also add a "supplementary" dose based on those results.

@Terence, is Neptune systems suggesting that the Trident works as a monitoring system, or that it provides active control (with decreased testing interval)?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back