Trident makes apex the best controller?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Apex for the most part. For a very expensive piece of equipment some of the pieces don't work very good. I'm about to dump the dos, it is constantly getting air in it. I adjust tighten and replace. The constant bubbles make it hard to get consistency. I had 4 days of consistent Alk, then today it dropped .4, I look and find more bubbles. I'm guessing if you want to use trident for consistency you'll have to use dos, which is very inconsistent.

I had thought about getting one then told myself not to do it. I read too many people with issues with it and having only 2 heads was definitely a deal breaker for me.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about getting one then told myself not to do it. I read too many people with issues with it and having only 2 heads was definitely a deal breaker for me.

Don't get me wrong. I bought it because of the integration with Apex. It's easy to adjust your dosing and you can dose as little as 0.1 ml, which makes it great for spreading your dosing through out the day. All the other dosers I looked at had a resolution 1.0 ml. I think it's the best solution, if I could get the bubbles out permanently.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an apex, but am kind of leaning the same way as Mortie. Once I have a sumped tank in the (more distant now that I like) future, I was thinking about apex+trident. It would be nice, but only nice, and I'm not sure if it's worth the coin.

First, it seems to me that Trident is only useful if you dose the three (or four or whatever) part formula of your choice. You can watch things by trident and hand dose I suppose, but if you're doing this you probably want a doser. You can go ~$400 for a decent three pump doser and container, but it seems to me that if you have trident it doesn't make sense not to have the DOS. Since three part needs two sets of pumps, you're now out $500 (trident) and another $600 (DOS); maybe another $300 (DDR, though that might be a bit of a luxury.

Thus, all the stuff around trident will cost (new price) $1100-$1400; $1000 more than the basic dosing setup (not even counting the apex, which I've become less enamored with the more I think of it compared to cheaper, single item manufacturer automation systems from Coralvue, Ecotech, Kessil, etc.). Probably worth it for a large system, especially if you like expensive name corals. But for the average (40-80 gal, 3-4") aquarium, with maybe the occasional $50+ coral and the remainder in $15-50 livestock (maybe $400 in livestock total), with daily dosing requirements maybe measured from 1-20mL per additive, that's a heck of a difference.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I will be running a 90 rimless. I don’t see the need to spend it now especially since the system might not fluctuate that much to be monitored

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely partially my point. Other point is I have had an issue where my entire Apex has freaked out on me due to a bad module. It definitely happens with everything electronic at some point, but for a single component to do what it did to my Apex has left a bad taste in my mouth about relying on it for anything other than monitoring. Even though I use the Alkatronic, I still check my dKH manually every once in a while. Also have gotten used to knowing when my SPS are happy. For nutrients in the tank, I use my spider sponge as a tell-tell sign that something isn't right in the tank. If it is coming out as usual, everything else is on point. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong in paradise.

I know your set on the Trident, but you should definitely give the Alkatronic a peak under the covers to see what it has to offer. I love that it is a standalone unit and doesn't rely on anything else to function. You still get online access and can send info to your Apex if you like. Recent firmware update has made it even better than before and they actually listen to user advice and incorporate what they can into the platform. Gonna love it when their doser comes out. Will be 5 channels. Too many times have I needed the additional channels and just refuse to have to buy multiple dosers for my system.
that Alkatronic looks good ! how long have you used it and it checks and doses? hmmm that is a nice pice of equipment

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We deman so much in this hobby it’s kinda funny reading these threads and the difference in opinions, what works for
You won’t work for me it’s as simple as that not just because not all tanks are created equal we all treat our tanks differently their is no right or wrong in this, apex is not better than GHL just like the vise versa, we should all be glad these advances are happening stop being so bitter on others people’s personal choices,it is what works for them, I notice this hobby has a lot of people with OCD I think that‘s what derails a lot of these forums from a simple question to a debate about who’s methods are better lol.

I work with Cisco products these products are FAR!! Very far From cheap and are the backbone of multi billion dollar companies and they break from time to time technology breaks! Thank god if not I would be out of a job! But anyways we can find solutions to everything remember the more competition in the market the better cheaper products we will have available. these auto testers and automators are really going to take this hobby towards the high end of hobbies with a monthly subscription of reagents lol, my friends go crazy when they see my tank and start asking for prices because they are interested although I haven’t bought everything at once still a tad expensive for just fish right? Lol . I had to lie to my GF about things I buy because of the explanation “well I can do this manually in 10-15 mins for $20(test kits) every 3-4 months or drop $600+ and $20+ monthly subscriptions and have a machine do it for me... and set it and FORGET IT!!!! Wait I’m jk about forgetting it we have to pay more attention if it’s a machine lol

Imagine this hobby in 10+ years and beyond! Exciting!

Btw I have gotten 4 friends into the hobby push for these advances! and my boss included this guy has automated everything in his tank! our company is considering a reef tank as well because automation is key! In 2018 or what ever is left of it... I also need a car that drives me places I hate driving as much as I hate testing lol

When is this Trident dropping????! I spoke to Santa not apex to get it for me lol

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely partially my point. Other point is I have had an issue where my entire Apex has freaked out on me due to a bad module. It definitely happens with everything electronic at some point, but for a single component to do what it did to my Apex has left a bad taste in my mouth about relying on it for anything other than monitoring. Even though I use the Alkatronic, I still check my dKH manually every once in a while. Also have gotten used to knowing when my SPS are happy. For nutrients in the tank, I use my spider sponge as a tell-tell sign that something isn't right in the tank. If it is coming out as usual, everything else is on point. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong in paradise.

I know your set on the Trident, but you should definitely give the Alkatronic a peak under the covers to see what it has to offer. I love that it is a standalone unit and doesn't rely on anything else to function. You still get online access and can send info to your Apex if you like. Recent firmware update has made it even better than before and they actually listen to user advice and incorporate what they can into the platform. Gonna love it when their doser comes out. Will be 5 channels. Too many times have I needed the additional channels and just refuse to have to buy multiple dosers for my system.
what are thoughts on this piece of equipment...
KH Guardian Pro Alkalinity Controller

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stay away from it. I have a friend that has one and he hates it. Everyone can have a different experience though so take that with a grain of salt. He compared his unit to my Alkatronic and is getting ready to sell in and get an Alkatronic. If you want his, I can tell him that you're interested. ;)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We deman so much in this hobby it’s kinda funny reading these threads and the difference in opinions, what works for
You won’t work for me it’s as simple as that not just because not all tanks are created equal we all treat our tanks differently their is no right or wrong in this, apex is not better than GHL just like the vise versa, we should all be glad these advances are happening stop being so bitter on others people’s personal choices,it is what works for them, I notice this hobby has a lot of people with OCD I think that‘s what derails a lot of these forums from a simple question to a debate about who’s methods are better lol.

I work with Cisco products these products are FAR!! Very far From cheap and are the backbone of multi billion dollar companies and they break from time to time technology breaks! Thank god if not I would be out of a job! But anyways we can find solutions to everything remember the more competition in the market the better cheaper products we will have available. these auto testers and automators are really going to take this hobby towards the high end of hobbies with a monthly subscription of reagents lol, my friends go crazy when they see my tank and start asking for prices because they are interested although I haven’t bought everything at once still a tad expensive for just fish right? Lol . I had to lie to my GF about things I buy because of the explanation “well I can do this manually in 10-15 mins for $20(test kits) every 3-4 months or drop $600+ and $20+ monthly subscriptions and have a machine do it for me... and set it and FORGET IT!!!! Wait I’m jk about forgetting it we have to pay more attention if it’s a machine lol

Imagine this hobby in 10+ years and beyond! Exciting!

Btw I have gotten 4 friends into the hobby push for these advances! and my boss included this guy has automated everything in his tank! our company is considering a reef tank as well because automation is key! In 2018 or what ever is left of it... I also need a car that drives me places I hate driving as much as I hate testing lol

When is this Trident dropping????! I spoke to Santa not apex to get it for me lol

Agree. I try not to show hate when I give advice and ensure that I am speaking from experience rather than being all in my feelings. There are definitely going to be biases regardless, but that is the beauty of it all honestly. Like someone driving a Kia and someone else drive a Honda. Is one better than the other? That's for those people to decide. Same goes for equipment for aquariums, etc.

I personally do my best not to be cheap when it comes to equipment that I have running a tank that cost just as much as a Kia or a Honda. Try to buy once and not look back.

With that being said, I wouldn't get a Trident. I looked into originally and the more that I thought about it, just does fit the bill for me (even testing for calcium and magnesium). I personally feel there is a major design flaw just having a single pump to test ALL 3 parameters. What happens when that single pump decides to take a nose-dive? What about cross contamination of the reagents? Just questions that there aren't really many answer to at ATM. The single pump and design kills it for me alone.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that Alkatronic looks good ! how long have you used it and it checks and doses? hmmm that is a nice pice of equipment

I have had it since March of this year. Has been a workhorse and I still have 1/2 of my original 4L reagent available. I even switched from measuring every 4 hours to now every 8 hours. So I can literally see the reagent lasting me another 8 months.

I'll be the first to tell you that I was highly upset when I initially purchased it. It was noisy as heck. They listened and fixed the issue. They also have taken plenty of other advice and incorporated it into the last firmware that was recently released. I absolutely love that aspect about what they are doing.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I try not to show hate when I give advice and ensure that I am speaking from experience rather than being all in my feelings. There are definitely going to be biases regardless, but that is the beauty of it all honestly. Like someone driving a Kia and someone else drive a Honda. Is one better than the other? That's for those people to decide. Same goes for equipment for aquariums, etc.

I personally do my best not to be cheap when it comes to equipment that I have running a tank that cost just as much as a Kia or a Honda. Try to buy once and not look back.

With that being said, I wouldn't get a Trident. I looked into originally and the more that I thought about it, just does fit the bill for me (even testing for calcium and magnesium). I personally feel there is a major design flaw just having a single pump to test ALL 3 parameters. What happens when that single pump decides to take a nose-dive? What about cross contamination of the reagents? Just questions that there aren't really many answer to at ATM. The single pump and design kills it for me alone.

Perfect anology because I hate Honda’s but love my Acura same maker lol.. idk why i hate Honda’s probably because my GF drives a Civic I like busting her chops lol, usually with tech first models are rough no matter the preparations the more people use them the more combinations and possibilities for failure, but I hate testing especially during summer days, this would have saved some of my acros a few months back I cheaped out on the ddr went on a 9 day vacation and my Kh container ran dry human mistake my computer could have reminded me, the most important task in my Check list was overlooked because it’s done every 2-3 months and I’m constantly checking for Kh but hit snooze on my check container alarm preparing a family vacation went from 9 to 4.5-5, I would love to know how long my tank was below 6

Trident where were you when I needed you the most???

Funny thing when things go south the nicer most expensive corals pay the price all my montis and birdsnest are still intact like nothing happened.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from it. I have a friend that has one and he hates it. Everyone can have a different experience though so take that with a grain of salt. He compared his unit to my Alkatronic and is getting ready to sell in and get an Alkatronic. If you want his, I can tell him that you're interested. ;)
lol, no thanks
I like the specs on the Alkatronic though, i will have to think that over

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, no thanks
I like the specs on the Alkatronic though, i will have to think that over

Here is a screenshot of my dKH for the past few days:
upload_2018-9-7_14-54-28.png

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What is the alkatronic’s margin of error for accuracy?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.05. Not enough for me to worry about. Heck I’d even be fine with as high as .5.

Very interesting. If it really is that accurate, I think it will be well worth considering. I am making two with Hanna, with its 0.3 DKH margin of error.

Costs quite a pretty penny though.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, looking around it seems that Alkatronic has the same accuracy Trident will have. Very interesting.

trident is just a mess. throwing my money on alkatronic

It is (unsurprisingly) behind. Moreover, I do think there has been a bit of a "FUD competitor's products with vaporware backed by your market share" effect here.

Still thinking on this whole thing. My opinion is not as certain as it was before.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back