Trident makes apex the best controller?

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all im looking into getting a controller primarily for the stability factor.

From what im reading up it seems like apex is the go to due to the trident coming out.

i was looking at the ekoral but the price is just insane for a new company. Way over priced imo.

The Ghl also has a dosing system but uses a ph probe which seems like it wont always be on point.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all im looking into getting a controller primarily for the stability factor.

From what im reading up it seems like apex is the go to due to the trident coming out.

i was looking at the ekoral but the price is just insane for a new company. Way over priced imo.

The Ghl also has a dosing system but uses a ph probe which seems like it wont always be on point.
I don't feel that accuracy is as important as consistency. I personally do prefer the optical method but I wouldn't pick a controller based only on that consideration. While a pH probe may drift over time it will still be useful in maintaining constant alkalinity. Depending on how you dose, it is likely that the alkalinity in your tank will vary more over 24 hours than a pH probe will drift in 2 months.

My recommendation is to pick the controller you feel you like the best, and then get Alk monitor that works with it. Unless, of course, the automated calc and mag testing is also important to you. Then the Apex Trident would be the best choice. Pretty sure the Trident is still planning to test all 3 but haven't followed it in awhile.

OP
OP
LowLi

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel that accuracy is as important as consistency. I personally do prefer the optical method but I wouldn't pick a controller based only on that consideration. While a pH probe may drift over time it will still be useful in maintaining constant alkalinity. Depending on how you dose, it is likely that the alkalinity in your tank will vary more over 24 hours than a pH probe will drift in 2 months.

My recommendation is to pick the controller you feel you like the best, and then get Alk monitor that works with it. Unless, of course, the automated calc and mag testing is also important to you. Then the Apex Trident would be the best choice. Pretty sure the Trident is still planning to test all 3 but haven't followed it in awhile.

Thank you i just didnt know if trident had any runner ups or not apex is looking like my best bet.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved to Apex for those same reasons. Trident is a big leap forward. There are other testing systems in the market now/soon but they are more standalone from what I gather.

I agree with the earlier comment. In our tanks precision (each reading being repeatable and consistent with other readings) is more useful than accuracy.

I care more about keeping parms stable at a certain level than being able to nail down an exact dkh value for example. If the true dkh is 9 but you consistently read that as 8.8 that is far better than reading 8.9 some days and 9.1 other days.

OP
OP
LowLi

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved to Apex for those same reasons. Trident is a big leap forward. There are other testing systems in the market now/soon but they are more standalone from what I gather.

I agree with the earlier comment. In our tanks precision (each reading being repeatable and consistent with other readings) is more useful than accuracy.

I care more about keeping parms stable at a certain level than being able to nail down an exact dkh value for example. If the true dkh is 9 but you consistently read that as 8.8 that is far better than reading 8.9 some days and 9.1 other days.
Ya, I made my decision with the apex. For it to manage the big three is just a huge + sometimes there are some hidden gems posted to see if there were any. Apex is the only one seems like

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched a video today and learned the trident will be $600...,
It’s almost double to what I thought. I think last year I saw in a video where Terrence said it would be $300 ish...

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched a video today and learned the trident will be $600...,
It’s almost double to what I thought. I think last year I saw in a video where Terrence said it would be $300 ish...
I think you misheard. The Trident, especially coming from Terence, was/is going to be $5-600. Anyhow, After 12 years in the hobby and being invested into my fourth generation of Neptune controllers. I think the APEX is the best controller already. Neptune has modules and the ability to be integrated into house controls if you choose and are tech savvy. The Trident is just one more thing that will make us more successful in the long run.

Last edited:

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been to the NY show today and they had a working example there. Said it will cost around $600.00 and should, if all goes well, to be ready by the end of the year. Further down the road will work with the DOS units to dose tanks as needed. Looked pretty good to me, was fairly heavy and smaller than I expected. I'm sold and will be getting one as soon as I can... hopefully it will be ready for a Merry Christmas for me.

OP
OP
LowLi

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been to the NY show today and they had a working example there. Said it will cost around $600.00 and should, if all goes well, to be ready by the end of the year. Further down the road will work with the DOS units to dose tanks as needed. Looked pretty good to me, was fairly heavy and smaller than I expected. I'm sold and will be getting one as soon as I can... hopefully it will be ready for a Merry Christmas for me.
ended up grabbing an apex today at the show time to recoup funds for the trident

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further down the road it will work with the DOS system essentially sounds like it will be just a monitor for the time being.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$600 is almost a full apex controller. Hard to justify to me. I will be doing manual dosing for a long time I guess...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that it isn't much more than $600. I was expecting it to be in the $1k+ range.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info... That reagents will have a shelf life when opened & installed in the unit. You will have to do at least 2 tests per day of Alk, and one each of Cal & Mag and more is recommended. The reason is because of the fluid that is in the tubing, with the tubing, contaminating or reacting slightly with the reagents over the course of the day and will have to kept "on the move". This will only affect the those who want the absolute pin point accuracy. The 3 bottles with a normal amount of tests will last about a month. Said the cost should be about $20.00 a month for reagents. Also talked about the unit not using much tank water for the three tests unlike the other Alk testers on the market presently which use quite a bit which I believe because the tubing was very thin. I can't wait for this cool new toy (toy... because it is not really necessary) to arrive... I have the APEX Classic now and bought the new head unit in April when they had the $50.00 discount.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would talk to some GHL users, I've not spoken to anyone unhappy with the GHL KH Director yet, and in terms of having a fully tested and released product, they are ahead - releasing Ca in the summer and their product is correcting alk currently, whereas the current messaging from Neptune is that they may only release a monitoring only product.

Certainly worth a compare now.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably pick up a new apex and trident when it comes out, so I feel that yes, overall it's the best. Figure even if keep using my BM doser I can have the apex shut if off if alk gets too high (with email) and at least email or text me if it gets too low - that is if I want to keep my BM doser instead of the apex doser at that point.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock solid with no issues including staying connected to my wifi :) Love the build quality of all the GHL products.
Have to agree with this. I don't have the KHD yet (just don't have the growth to justify it) but I love my GHL stuff. I do miss Apex Fusion, but I don't miss the frequent reboots required.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back