Trident or not?

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Trident or not to Trident, that is the question. I am old salt water tank guy, but new to reefing in this decade! So please assist. Thank you. I like toys, but I want my reef to be a peaceful no worry hobby too.

Exciting new piece of equipment, being a Neptune Apex and DOS fan, the Trident obviously is an amazing reefer advancement. I hope the results are more accurate than my pH probe!? Lol... Knowing Neptune it should work great.

But....my parameters luckily stay fairly same most every day since I added my DOS and Apex with Fritz Part 1 and 2, since big issues were Alk and Ca stability. Hanna and I get together twice a week and update the numbers, but so far very good.

Is the value to monitor for the dreaded....Houston we have a problem, your Alk just dropped from 10 to 6, while you were on business trip? And your corals are dying! Hurry.

Or should I be aware 24/7 exactly what is and is not happening to be in control at all times.

Your all the experts. Where do you side? Thank you.

(One footnote is the Trident price is so reasonable (don’t tell them) it’s an easier decision than maybe $1999.99 which I think it still would have sold to the reefer refers.)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually on the waiting list for one.....originally because like you, I just like toys. Recently I had a strange issue though that would have been caught by the Trident so I am really looking forward to getting it and setting it up. My Dos stopped dosing Ca (I rarely test for Ca) even though Apex Fusion said it was still dosing normally. My Ca plummeted which caused my coral to stop growing.....which raised my ALK. Lost a few coral......the trident would have alerted my to the low Ca. Pretty funny I am buying a Neptune product to save me from a Neptune product lol.

Last edited:

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait for a little bit; like next spring or summer. Let the early adopters find the possible kinks and bugs along with a more mature support system in place. By next summer we'll have more places to buy reagents, more details on maintenance periods/costs, and community programming support. If it is a solid product, or more of their version 1 optical sensors or pH probes. XD

The value of monitoring can be great, but could take away some of the touch and feel of the tank. On a trip, it could mean a message to the tank sitter to check on specific things before things stray too far from center.

On a aside, there are so many automated testers either on the market or coming within the year. The competition is great for us as hobbyists.

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say yes, but I'd wait a bit.
I'm curious how this plays out going forward with other companies and competitors, avalibility and pricing etc.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat- ran my systems for years without a controller. Never thought I needed one even though invariably when I was away something would happen and I would return to a mess or spend a few frustrating hours on the phone trying to direct my wife to do this or that. I went with a controller for my new build and can't imagine running a system without it. The peace of mind and ability to check in from a distance, be alerted, intervene is invaluable.

Trident? I think it depends on your corals. If mainly an LPS/softies system probably just a fun toy and convenience of not having to manually test but for SPS I have found it invaluable. I no longer have that anxiety of should I check my alK today again. It has let me dial in the Alkalinity and keep it rock stable. Do I need Ca and Mg checked twice a day ....definitely no...but the trident needs to do that for whatever obscure reasons and I accept it.

I have two trident's, one on my Display and the other on my Frag system that houses many high end SPS. I was able to get the first one during the initial release week and set it up on the frag system. I got lucky and happened to be perusing BRS when a batch was released a few weeks later and picked ups the second one for my Display system. I have had no issues, I have replaced reagents on both systems, recalibrated and all continue to just chug along. What I find remarkable is using the DOS to adjust dosing based on the Alkalinity reading has really allowed me to maintain a rock solid level.

Hope this helps.
Happy Reefing!

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, a big part of reefkeeping is the equipment and gadgets. That being said, I have the trident and dos working together in tandem. I like seeing the consumption of elements in my system and the effects of other factors reflected in the coral growth.

It’s definitely a luxury but for me it has been a lot of fun and a big piece of mind that the tank is being monitored daily for the elements I’m most concerned about. Ordering reagent has been incredibly easy through Neptune and arrived a few days after I ordered online.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a bit. Lots of new products coming to market. Especially ion based testers. These should have less complicated maintenance and better accuracy.. peristaltic based testers will eventually be obsolete if ion based prevailed accurate.
Another factor you should look at is the functions per device, some test only, some test and dose..
Some work independently, some force you to buy controllers to operate...
So compare function and cost, not only cost...

Good luck.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Trident or not to Trident, that is the question. I am old salt water tank guy, but new to reefing in this decade! So please assist. Thank you. I like toys, but I want my reef to be a peaceful no worry hobby too.

Exciting new piece of equipment, being a Neptune Apex and DOS fan, the Trident obviously is an amazing reefer advancement. I hope the results are more accurate than my pH probe!? Lol... Knowing Neptune it should work great.

But....my parameters luckily stay fairly same most every day since I added my DOS and Apex with Fritz Part 1 and 2, since big issues were Alk and Ca stability. Hanna and I get together twice a week and update the numbers, but so far very good.

Is the value to monitor for the dreaded....Houston we have a problem, your Alk just dropped from 10 to 6, while you were on business trip? And your corals are dying! Hurry.

Or should I be aware 24/7 exactly what is and is not happening to be in control at all times.

Your all the experts. Where do you side? Thank you.

(One footnote is the Trident price is so reasonable (don’t tell them) it’s an easier decision than maybe $1999.99 which I think it still would have sold to the reefer refers.)

Sound like you are a Neptune fan so go for it! I'm a fan of automated testing, lots of cool stuff out now and more coming soon. Good luck finding one, and good thing you are willing to pay up to $2k, you can get one on eBay today within that budget.

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx all. But I will wait for bugs to get worked out and $599 retail, LOL. I was saying I think that’s cheap for the safety it gives us for peace of mind, and true reefers might pay $1995 for that level of protection. My budget is retail, only because I can’t get one discounted on Amazon yet! LOL.

Appreciate all the votes...I am leaning to having the peace of mind sitting looking at my Apex on iPhone seeing my tank is running and temp, ph are all cool.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally I would wait for the Abex Xepta or other ion based testers. To me the trident along with all the other reagent based systems are going to be out of date with ion testing right around the corner. They launched a little late in my opnion.

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would wait for the Abex Xepta or other ion based testers. To me the trident along with all the other reagent based systems are going to be out of date with ion testing right around the corner. They launched a little late in my opnion.
Could not agree more.

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shred5 that is totally cool! Thank you...like AT&T buying satellite TV...oops. I am online checking out ion testing now!

Wow...We love R2R!

Thanks to all!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shred5 that is totally cool! Thank you...like AT&T buying satellite TV...oops. I am online checking out ion testing now!

Wow...We love R2R!

Thanks to all!
Check ghl ion director, kh director, xepta, kh guardian and mindstream.
Some of these products work stand alone. Some give you dose and test....
Cool products.

Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it. It's cool.
The problem with waiting for new tech is that we have no idea when it will be usable, and we have no idea if it will actually work. Sounds great, but if I want a new vehicle, I'll get a car instead of waiting for Jet Packs. ;D

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 2 kh directors for my display and frag tank. Others are saying the reagent way is old. It maybe old but at least it’s time tested and standard. As for the on going costs. You can buy the acid on amazon for 38 bucks. That an entire year at 4 tests a day. 10 cents a day I can live with that.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with earlier points, its important to see how product work before purchasing it. Online real reviews and availability of the product is important to evaluate it before investing in it.
For older tech :peristaltic based" oh guardians and kh director are the oldest in the industry and their pros and cons are known.
If you are in to progress and new things(I am, since if i want to invest i would rather invest in something new)
Ion director, xepta or mindstream are the way to go. Couple of months and all these will be available to consumer, reviews will tell all.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had intended to wait until there were a few months of user reports on trident. Then I got the chance to get one at retail and couldn’t resist. I’ve mostly liked it. My personal view on all these things is that more data is better than less data - though more data is not necessarily good data, so be careful what you do with it. I’m comfortable that the alk and MG readings from mine are good, but calcium has been all over the place. Since I don’t use trident, or apex generally (some exceptions) to trigger actions, no biggie.

I’ve no idea whether these ion testers will be the next great innovation for the hobby or yet another new set of clothes for the emperor. There’s a tendency to hyperbolize that which is coming, and discount that which is already here. Once that which is coming actually arrives, all the warts become apparent. If ion testers are great I’ll jump; if they’re not I won’t.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had intended to wait until there were a few months of user reports on trident. Then I got the chance to get one at retail and couldn’t resist. I’ve mostly liked it. My personal view on all these things is that more data is better than less data - though more data is not necessarily good data, so be careful what you do with it. I’m comfortable that the alk and MG readings from mine are good, but calcium has been all over the place. Since I don’t use trident, or apex generally (some exceptions) to trigger actions, no biggie.

I’ve no idea whether these ion testers will be the next great innovation for the hobby or yet another new set of clothes for the emperor. There’s a tendency to hyperbolize that which is coming, and discount that which is already here. Once that which is coming actually arrives, all the warts become apparent. If ion testers are great I’ll jump; if they’re not I won’t.

Already here? Most of the Reagent based systems just launched recently I mean the last few months except the KH ones. Most still cant buy a Trident so basically it is new too. Not like these systems have been around for years. At the rate the Trident is going ion based systems will be out by the time everyone who wants a Trident can buy them. I do hear what you are saying but not much of lead, now if the Trident came out last year.

I think we will see ion testing this year and could be by fall. Maybe by that time we will know how reliable the Reagent systems are.

Just my opinion. I just feel the reagent systems are a little late but time will tell. Maybe I am way off base. Sometimes better tech fails because it is brought to the market by the wrong company or one with less marketing capabilities.

To me it is about testing the stuff we do not normally test for.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back