Trident reagent A empty notification...almost 100mL left in bottle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I got the reagent A empty notification today, and went ahead and replaced it. Followed the task directions, but realized after that the bottle felt a bit heavy, so I decided to see how much was left in it. There was still 92mL of reagent left in the bottle. This seems WAY too early to have an empty bottle notification....and a complete waste of quite a bit of reagent. How much should be left in the bottle under normal circumstances?

4F92AA39-9CF6-40E0-8EFE-CDA37C3772BA.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem like a good bit of leftover reagent. Curious... How many tests are you running per day and when was your Trident up and operational? I thought that at the minimum testing frequency of 4/2/2 the reagents are to last 2 months.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a couple days at 8 tests per day, then 4 per day since then. I got mine the Friday after launch....looking back that was May 10th. It comes with 2 bottles of A, so I probably could have gotten to 30 days if it didn’t tell me to change the reagent so early.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, okay. The 2 month reagent supply at the minimum 4/2/2 makes sense now that it comes with 2 bottles of A. I appreciate the clarification.

Now hopefully someone can chime in on the premature reagent change notification.

U

User1

View Badges
I was going to ask if there is anyway to see the content of the bottle or level line but it looks dark so may not be possible. That seems like a lot of regent left and I'm wondering the logic of the replacement alert. Is it done based on tests and match calculating or estimating how much is left? If so then they can probably make adjustments as they get information on what is left.

That does seem like a lot and I'm wondering if there is a way to save it and re-add it to the other bottle.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask if there is anyway to see the content of the bottle or level line but it looks dark so may not be possible. That seems like a lot of regent left and I'm wondering the logic of the replacement alert. Is it done based on tests and match calculating or estimating how much is left? If so then they can probably make adjustments as they get information on what is left.

That does seem like a lot and I'm wondering if there is a way to save it and re-add it to the other bottle.

It states in the task that adding the leftover in this bottle to the next bottle will cause contamination.

The Trident Tile in Fusion will show you what is remaining (I assume based on calculations as there are no sensors to tell it actual levels). A couple days ago I saw "21 tests remaining" on the Alk reagent, so was surprised to see that it said it was out today....but did the task anyway.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so I got the reagent A empty notification today, and went ahead and replaced it. Followed the task directions, but realized after that the bottle felt a bit heavy, so I decided to see how much was left in it. There was still 92mL of reagent left in the bottle. This seems WAY too early to have an empty bottle notification....and a complete waste of quite a bit of reagent. How much should be left in the bottle under normal circumstances?

4F92AA39-9CF6-40E0-8EFE-CDA37C3772BA.jpeg
Nothing should be left if the notification says its 'empty'. If its a warning - perhaps at 10%

U

User1

View Badges
It states in the task that adding the leftover in this bottle to the next bottle will cause contamination.

The Trident Tile in Fusion will show you what is remaining (I assume based on calculations as there are no sensors to tell it actual levels). A couple days ago I saw "21 tests remaining" on the Alk reagent, so was surprised to see that it said it was out today....but did the task anyway.

Ok, thanks. Have you created a ticket with Neptune? I do not own a trident but curious to know what they say or see if others have seen something similar. 21 remaining then get an alert the next day seems odd.

U

User1

View Badges
Nothing should be left if the notification says its 'empty'. If its a warning - perhaps at 10%

No problem. I have no idea how it works so was just wondering. I'm with you in that little should be left so curious to see how it turns out.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree...and if it was a warning I would have checked into things a little more before actually changing it out. The Tile stated "Reagent A Empty" in flashing red, which seems to me like maybe it ran out of reagent mid-test and threw an error.

Ok, thanks. Have you created a ticket with Neptune? I do not own a trident but curious to know what they say or see if others have seen something similar. 21 remaining then get an alert the next day seems odd.

I have not yet, wanted to get some feedback on if this was anywhere close to normal before opening a ticket.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, this is not how it works.

People are basing their automated DOSING on trident results. If it sucks air rather than reagent, you will will dose incorrectly. (though if it is an extreme result, it should throw a warning).

Leaving 10% in the bottle and refusing to test any longer is a completely acceptable function. This prevents users from potentially messing up their systems based on the Trident results.

I believe I read that Neptune Systems INTENTIONALLY gives you extra reagent- it is STILL a 2 month supply as advertised

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree...and if it was a warning I would have checked into things a little more before actually changing it out. The Tile stated "Reagent A Empty" in flashing red, which seems to me like maybe it ran out of reagent mid-test and threw an error

I have not yet, wanted to get some feedback on if this was anywhere close to normal before opening a ticket.

It is completely normal to have some extra, see my response above. You still get your 2 months worth, without potentially sucking an air bubble and messing with automated dosing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

People are basing their automated DOSING on trident results. If it sucks air rather than reagent, you will will dose incorrectly. (though if it is an extreme result, it should throw a warning).

Leaving 10% in the bottle and refusing to test any longer is a completely acceptable function. This prevents users from potentially messing up their systems based on the Trident results.

I believe I read that Neptune Systems INTENTIONALLY gives you extra reagent- it is STILL a 2 month supply as advertised

I think 10% at the bottom would be acceptable...however I just measured the total capacity of the reagent bottle and it is 300ml filled to the top....92ml remaining means that almost 1/3 of the reagent was left.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is what I said...... I said - if the alert said 'empty' and it was not - that is different than if there was 10% left - and it was a warning? Unless im misreading what I and you said?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Well Neptune themselves says the Trident is not a 'dosing' product - but a 'testing' product. And - that thats up to the user to decide - if they want to use it for dosing....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BTW - how does it work? do you work for Neptune? Are you sure that what you're saying is true - the poster says there is 1/3 amount left but the warning is coming on.... could it be air in the tubing? Could it be a malfunction of that unit? Could it be something else entirely? Could the poster be mistaken? Yes - all of the above. But I'm getting a bit tired of Neptune Fans merely dismissing problems LOL its silly IMHO

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 10% at the bottom would be acceptable...however I just measured the total capacity of the reagent bottle and it is 300ml filled to the top....92ml remaining means that almost 1/3 of the reagent was left.

I just said 10% referencing the number earlier in this thread- haven't checked it myself. My trident has 30 tests left, so I in a few days will check to compare with you!

I forgot to mention a few things before. They also need to provide additional reagent because the user must prime all of the lines, and do calibration.

Did you do that, for this batch of reagent? Including re-priming the lines after putting in the 2nd Alkalinity bottle? That might be an automatic function, I gorget lol.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - how does it work? do you work for Neptune? Are you sure that what you're saying is true - the poster says there is 1/3 amount left but the warning is coming on.... could it be air in the tubing? Could it be a malfunction of that unit? Could it be something else entirely? Could the poster be mistaken? Yes - all of the above. But I'm getting a bit tired of Neptune Fans merely dismissing problems LOL its silly IMHO

Where did you get in my text that I work for Neptune?

The warning is that there are no tests remaining, no? Assuming that the OP was getting valid results, I dont see how air in the line would effect the calculated amount used :).

Also not sure where you got that I am dismissing a problem. I am just explaining the need to have some excess of reagent in the bottle- which is needed for several reasons. Priming the system, doing the calibration, etc.

The "problem" seems to be that there is excess reagent..

Do you work for them, MnFish? Or at least have any experience with the product at hand?

Dont give out false information- or did you forget to say "In my opinion" in your post "Nothing should be left if the notification says its 'empty'. If its a warning - perhaps at 10%"

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get in my text that I work for Neptune?

The warning is that there are no tests remaining, no? Assuming that the OP was getting valid results, I dont see how air in the line would effect the calculated amount used :).

Also not sure where you got that I am dismissing a problem. I am just explaining the need to have an excess of reagent in the bottle- which is needed for several reasons. Priming the system, doing the calibration, etc.

The "problem" seems to be that there is excess reagent..

Do you work for Apex, MnFish? Or at least have any experience with the product at hand?

Didn't think so
LOL no defensiveness needed - I said 'do you work for Neptune?' Someone has a problem with an alert and its like whatever. It sounded like you knew the answer to the question - which I would assume would need to be a Neptune employee

Second - There is no such a company as 'apex'. I believe its Neptune systems...

Third - The person asking the question asked why when he had a third of a bottle of reagent left - why did he get a warning.

Fourth - my memory is not great - but I believe you have been extremely complimentary of the trident (all good).

As to air in the line - I have no clue but obviously there is a problem here. Or?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back