• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Trident reagents alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are half the price and exactly the same. In fact the guy that developed them (a biochemist in the pharma industry) said they have no expiration date. Makes you wonder how many people bought reagents and replaced them based on the dates...

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why
It was a very informative back and forth about what has been tried, and what levels. I have a screenshot of the final chemicals and ratios that ended up being the exact match, but clearly someone didnt want this non-proprietary unpatented information out there. If they ever do they can repost or unblock it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the thread where someone (I think it was him) discussed that he figured out the formula. He was talking about posting how to make it but then I guess turned it into his own business. Jim Welsh seemed very opposed to him posting it so I’m guessing it was legit. Mods replied to the thread stating that it was not against forum rules to post it, but the account seems to have been removed.

I haven’t bought any of the reagents yet but when I run out of the official reagents I’m going to buy from him to see if they work the same.

4davegill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the thread where someone (I think it was him) discussed that he figured out the formula. He was talking about posting how to make it but then I guess turned it into his own business. Jim Welsh seemed very opposed to him posting it so I’m guessing it was legit. Mods replied to the thread stating that it was not against forum rules to post it, but the account seems to have been removed.

I haven’t bought any of the reagents yet but when I run out of the official reagents I’m going to buy from him to see if they work the same.
He did post how to make it. but they took it down. If you look on another reef site, where his interview with telegraham, that post has it. (im being vague so I dont get deleted).

OP
OP
Elitecorals

Elitecorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 6 month supply of neptune reagents. when i use them up i'm going to give these a try.
I will likely to try them out once my reagents are empty, also give us an update too

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not posting in favor of Neptune or their overpriced reagents but I can see a scenario where Neptune voids all warranty and repairs when someone uses a third party reagent. Wouldn't be hard for them to find out either. They'll ask for pics and batch numbers. When you can't give them that info, warranty is out the window

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I have a year supply on hand, I will be using this next

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. My 6 month kit will last me a year anyway cause I only test my Alk twice a day and ca/mg once, but this is a huge savings when I need to get more.

FYI, the whole expiration thing is not an advantage for this over Neptune. If his doesn't actually expire, then neither do neptunes. Either that or they actually should expire and he just didn't put a date on. I would guess that both actually last about 2 years if they are unopened before accuracy is affected based on similar things like buffered pH calibration packets.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things should raise questions to hobbyists such as combining of left over reagents and clear lack of understanding how dyes work. No expiration is also a concern. Most important is the comment that they work better. Is there any data to prove this? If so do they include the side by side test results along with methodology of testing?

Color me skeptical.

This is nothing more than reverse engineering and removing the middle layer from the cost. Started out at 79 bucks then lowered out of spite. Instead of money being return as royalties to promote further reagent based development it pretty much neutered that I'd wager.

I find it rather ironic too as hobbyist knowing going into test automation be it Trident or ION or other bot name here that reagent cost a factor. It is known going into it as part of run and maintain be it reagent, service, or probe replacement. Automated or manual testing.

Is ABC going to make Reef Factory Smart Tester reagents? Hanna reagents? Probes? I'm guessing not.

OP
OP
Elitecorals

Elitecorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not posting in favor of Neptune or their overpriced reagents but I can see a scenario where Neptune voids all warranty and repairs when someone uses a third party reagent. Wouldn't be hard for them to find out either. They'll ask for pics and batch numbers. When you can't give them that info, warranty is out the window
My trident is out of warranty anyways, so now looking for cheaper reagents. If you look up the podcast about the guy who created abc reagents, he said they used the same chemicals as his

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My trident is out of warranty anyways, so now looking for cheaper reagents. If you look up the podcast about the guy who created abc reagents, he said they used the same chemicals as his

I am simply saying Neptune could deny any help and say the third party reagents caused the issue. They would likely sell you the parts still. Doesn't matter if the chemicals are the same though. Neptune can immediately blame something else and they likely will. There will be plenty of people who get these reagents while still under warranty.

I have no dog in the fight. I don't have a Trident and have zero plans to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back