Trident Users is it a nice tool to have?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune stated that they planned for the maintenance as they thought some components would need to be replaced or serviced but they have found out that it hasn't been the case. They haven't even called in any units for the service. They are also working on a DIY so we don't have to ship the tridents off.

Link to where those things were stated?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks. shall give it a listen.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these guys I test my Alk nightly with a Hanna checker just want to hear some feedback about them. Thanks

Honestly this is one of the very best pieces of equipment I've purchased. Had a sever calcium \ alk imbalance. Ca was very high. I shut off the Ca dosing for a good bit of time, stabilized alk and just watched Ca fall on the graphs. It's that immediate feedback loop that really helps make better informed decisions for your tank. It was eye opening really.
Buy it!!!

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to Reagent life: Keep in mind that if you keep your ALK at 10 vs 7 the test will consume more reagent during each test, and likewise for B and C.

OP
OP
WIReefer

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to Reagent life: Keep in mind that if you keep your ALK at 10 vs 7 the test will consume more reagent during each test, and likewise for B and C.
Okay I keep my around around 7.8-80 will be setting up this weekend and will give some feedback.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice, but not exempt from flaws. Mine has been up and running for 2mi and I'd say that it hasn't done much for me but give me piece of mind.

The good:
1. Nice to be able to spend less time testing, but if your tank has been up and running for a while you probably have it down anyways.
2. You can't get any easier for changing and repriming the lines, just run the replace reagent task.
3. It's a miracle that this tiny intake line hasn't gotten clogged yet.

The bad:
1. Reagents are difficult to find and you'll never find the 6mo kits which seems to just be a marketing gimmick.
2. Reagents don't always run out evenly during normal testing leaving you to toss several days worth of tests because there is no way to replace B and C without doing A.
3. My biggest pet peeve is this does not, let me repeat, does not stabilize dosing according to your desired levels when using their DOS system. I run triton and have alk set to 8.0 and it recently dosed up to 8.4. what the heck? (I like how my acronym is modified and expanded automagically). I end up having to turn my dosing off for several hours to stabilize when it goes haywire.
4. Once it gets down to 6 tests left it seems to stop, that's 3 days down the drain.
5. When it claims that it's out, it just flashes on the dashboard. One would think it would send a message automatically, guess you have to figure that out yourself.

Last edited:

Jason0203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t live without mine. Well I could but I wouldn’t enjoy it as much. I’ve owned two, the first one broke about 4 months in and I had a new one free of charge to me within a week. My only issue is that sometimes reagent can be more difficult to find. So when you order reagent order a couple boxes at a time if you can.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% recommend the Trident.

it does exactly what it is supposed to do and is very accurate/consistent.

I have been running it for almost 6 months without any issue whatsoever.

Reagents are easy to manage if you plan ahead. Yes they were difficult to find, but I am keeping at least 6 months on hand at all times. If you sign up for “out of stock” alerts on multiple sites, you will easily be able to snag some. Just purchase long BEFORE you are running low.

With work, kids, life, it makes keeping my alk stable a breeze when used in conjunction with the DOS.

U

User1

View Badges
It's nice, but not exempt from flaws. Mine has been up and running for 2mi and I'd say that it hasn't done much for me but give me piece of mind.

The good:
1. Nice to be able to spend less time testing, but if your tank has been up and running for a while you probably have it down anyways.

The bad:
1. Reagents are difficult to find and you'll never find the 6mo kits which seems to just be a marketing gimmick.
2. Reagents don't always run out evenly during normal testing leaving you to toss several days worth of tests because there is no way to replace B and C without doing A.
3. My biggest pet peeve is this does not, let me repeat, does not stabilize dosing according to your desired levels when using their DOS system. I run triton and have alk set to 8.0 and it recently dosed up to 8.4. what the heck? (I like how my acronym is modified and expanded automagically). I end up having to turn my dosing off for several hours to stabilize when it goes haywire.
4. Once it gets down to 6 tests left it seems to stop, that's 3 days down the drain.
5. When it claims that it's out, it just flashes on the dashboard. One would think it would send a message automatically, guess you have to figure that out yourself.

Regarding item 1 - C19 is wrecking everything. Prior to it wasn't bad. I found once I opened the last box I'd start looking and setting alerts. Every time I would get a hit before I swapped A. I don't really see this as bad. Welcome to C19.

Also note 6 month kits came after the Trident was out. It was put together to lower cost and save on shipping. Think bulk toilet paper. Oh, one more thing. Back in a live stream I think in February they mentioned hobbyist are testing more than what they polled. So if you make reagents for an estimate of A and the hobbyists are testing more and thus using reagents for an actual of G demand is going to be up and we have a shortage. Shortage now blocks product launch in Europe.

Back to the toilet paper. C19 hit and everyone started to buy more and more of the stuff. So much so that even the big box stores ran out. Weeks go by and some started to trickle in and then we placed limits. The connection? Manufactures plan for A and when Z comes all heck breaks loose until the supply chain and work its way out to meet the demand.

Doesn't matter I guess really other than the reagent deal is temporary. C19 and expanded use means they are going to have some hurdles. I give them a pass. I don't like paying for the 2 month kit but it is only a temporary thing (in my opinion).

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The good:

The bad:

You can easily setup your alerts just like everything else in your Apex.

I am saving all leftover reagent for future use.

You can program the Trident to stop controlled dosing if it exceeds your desired threshold.

Guided instructions are all there. :)

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily setup your alerts just like everything else in your Apex.

I am saving all leftover reagent for future use.

You can program the Trident to stop controlled dosing if it exceeds your desired threshold.

Guided instructions are all there. :)

Thanks. My point is it could use some polishing. Did edit for another good.

I'll have to go back and check what my thresholds are when I recalibrate. Probably need to figure out how to send messages when the params are out of these thresholds because sometimes it's a precipitation issue (when low).

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding item 1 - C19 is wrecking everything. Prior to it wasn't bad. I found once I opened the last box I'd start looking and setting alerts. Every time I would get a hit before I swapped A. I don't really see this as bad. Welcome to C19.

Also note 6 month kits came after the Trident was out. It was put together to lower cost and save on shipping. Think bulk toilet paper. Oh, one more thing. Back in a live stream I think in February they mentioned hobbyist are testing more than what they polled. So if you make reagents for an estimate of A and the hobbyists are testing more and thus using reagents for an actual of G demand is going to be up and we have a shortage. Shortage now blocks product launch in Europe.

Back to the toilet paper. C19 hit and everyone started to buy more and more of the stuff. So much so that even the big box stores ran out. Weeks go by and some started to trickle in and then we placed limits. The connection? Manufactures plan for A and when Z comes all heck breaks loose until the supply chain and work its way out to meet the demand.

Doesn't matter I guess really other than the reagent deal is temporary. C19 and expanded use means they are going to have some hurdles. I give them a pass. I don't like paying for the 2 month kit but it is only a temporary thing (in my opinion).

Took me a sec to figure out C19, thought it was a firmware release, Doh!
Doesn't help that they are located in Cali where they were deemed not essential. So many businesses got screwed over in that state it isn't funny.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one for three months now. It has caught a few issues with my calcium reactor and made me look at the tank more. If something is wrong, I look for the cause. Had I not had it I wouldn’t have caught my co2 regulator going bad, caught my co2 was low and kept the tank stable. For me, I’m happy I have one and wouldn’t look back ever.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back