Trident water sample error, hose is clogged AGAIN.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok from time to time I have to remove the sample tube from my trident an roll it with a round object to brake up what I assume is dried salt. I fill it in the line an I hear it crunch when I roll it. This is becoming a more than often issue. Is the a fix? Is anyone else have this problem? What is the cause of this I mean I can't afford to test 24 time a day just to keep the line wet. I'm getting ticked. Will. New hose be a good fix.? But that to would get costly after awhile. An whybis this hose so small in the first place.? I believe neptune got lazy when designing the intake tube. The only thing that fixes this is cleaning all the lines all the way into the black stub / connecter inside the pumps. what the heck.

Last edited:

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had the same thing in Nov 2020 BAD ALK (sent a trouble ticket to Neptune, longest and worst experience in my opinion), just experienced it again this past weekend. I had to pull the sample hose roll it and smashed it with a credit-card from one end to the next about 3 times (time consuming) then calibrated the line via the Trident/Apex app. But I am going to send a note to Neptune tonight to see what the deal is.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the sample line drying out? End of black hose is supposed to be submerged. There’s no way for it to suck air. I’ve been running mine since the first week it was available for sale, and I’m still running fine on the original hose. I did worry that the sample line would ingest detritus over time, so I bought a spare .... haven’t needed it yet.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how its drying out. But it is, thats the purpose of this thread..an yes its submerged come on man really. Hahaha. JK

This topic of line clogging and rolling to clear is common. Your lucky I guess. Want to trade hoses. . But im going to look now cause just maybe. I have been pondering installing it in my overflows, there by removing it from close proximity to other cords and equip. Im thinking it's getting warm laying next to other cables an devices.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know how its drying out. But it is, thats the purpose of this thread..an yes its submerged come on man really. Hahaha. JK

Well, sorry, but you never know for sure ........ I was recently confounded by my RODI system that just wasn’t working the way it’s supposed to. Then I noticed this black rubber washer on the floor ..... hmmn, wonder what that’s for ...... doh!

Maybe there a loose tube or a pinhole that’s causing water to drain back down. Have you looked at the tubes in the back of the unit to see if they’re firmly attached?

Last edited:

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're pumping in Kalk or carbonate alkalinity, this could happen. I suspect the "crunch" is carbonate that has precipitated on your Trident line. If that's the case, consider moving to a bicarbonate additive, like baking soda.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All lines look good. Could be a pin hole from all the past smashing I have done on the hose in the past, An I use soda ash so that could predict could be the cause. Been using it for years. Wonder what the impact on my tank would be if I switched?

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All lines look good. Could be a pin hole from all the past smashing I have done on the hose in the past, An I use soda ash so that could predict could be the cause. Been using it for years. Wonder what the impact on my tank would be if I switched?
If you've been using it for years, and your levels have remained constant, disregard, you're probably not dealing with abiotic precipitation. To your question about impact if you switched, you wouldn't get an immediate pH boost associated with regular carbonate dosing--bicarbonate provides a boost, too, but it isn't as dramatic. The effect of bicarbonate dosing is that you have less precipitation on pumps, heaters, and dosing lines.

This is my bicarbonate formula:

Alkalinity Bicarbonate DYI Formula:

1/2 cup (150 grams) of baking soda
+ 1/2 gallon of water
= 1,750mL of solution

DOSING: 25mL of solution to increase dKH by 1 per 20-gallons.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back