Trident with Apex and automatic DOS

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Dear reefers !!
dang, I made it, I was able to set it up, I was struggling, I had to do a firmware update etc.

apex to control everything
DOS1 for automatic water change
DOS2 to work with Trident

I am still lost with it, I have 2 questions
do I really need to wait 10 days to use trident with DOS? it seems to be working fine
I am confused how this part works
I was under impression that Trident will test water, and if the parameter is off ( too low) it will add some alkalinity, and then test it again and add more if needed, is it how it works?

also I have 24G nanocube , I am confused with this screen

so lets say I want to keep dKH 9
so I am confused here, what should I put?
I can read the label from the alkalinity that 1mm will add 0.1dhk but I was under impression that the whole idea Trident and DOS to have it automated, it will be adding as much as possible to keep the levels right

1610501082263.png

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I have 24G nanocube , I am confused with this screen

so lets say I want to keep dKH 9
so I am confused here, what should I put?
I can read the label from the alkalinity that 1mm will add 0.1dhk but I was under impression that the whole idea Trident and DOS to have it automated, it will be adding as much as possible to keep the levels right

1610501082263.png

Hi there!

The trident does adjust dosing, but it does it based off what you normally dose. Do you dose now? If so, how much are you dosing? That's what you add under "volume". So let's say you normally dose 5 ml of alkalinity additive per day and you want to maintain 9dKH, then that's what you would put.

Level: 9 dkh
Volume: 5 ml

Then it will dose +/- 35% of your normal volume - so if the dKH is a little low, it'll dose more than 5, and a little high, it'll dose less than 5ml. But if the trident reads WAY off - like if it reads 4 dKH, then it will just revert to your normal schedule (5ml) so that way if there is a test error (or you knock the sample line out, which I have done several times), then it doesn't flood your system with too much additive or completely stop adding additive when your system needs it.

Waiting the 10 days is ideal - ideally you would keep manually dosing (or keep using your DOS at the normal level) and make sure your trident readings are consistent. THEN, you'd have the trident start managing it. The point is to make sure what you input into the system is accurate.

Long story short though, I love my trident and dos and think they are totally worth the time to set up properly!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident Controlled Dosing works to make small adjustments to your DOS schedule to keep things stable. It cannot be used to bring your Alk level way up or way down. It's up to you to know what the approximate daily consumption is in your tank and set your dosing accordingly. Once you know you're close (+/- 0.4 dKH or so) then set up the Trident Controlled Dosing to maintain it. Keep in mind as your corals grow or you add additional corals, that uptake can increase and it will again be up to you to increase the base amount the DOS is delivering so the Trident can keep it within range.

Read Neptune's guide here: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/tridentdos/

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
From time to time readjust your daily amount. I use the daily DOS log to determine. If I have it set for 100 ml a day and I notice the DOS has dosed 120 the past 3 days I change my daily amount to 120.

OP
OP
A

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it

I also notices that those parameteres are not changing on my dashboard, and thy are off
hanna checker is testing 9.6

adding, it works it took a while.
1610503598343.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident Controlled Dosing works to make small adjustments to your DOS schedule to keep things stable. It cannot be used to bring your Alk level way up or way down. It's up to you to know what the approximate daily consumption is in your tank and set your dosing accordingly. Once you know you're close (+/- 0.4 dKH or so) then set up the Trident Controlled Dosing to maintain it. Keep in mind as your corals grow or you add additional corals, that uptake can increase and it will again be up to you to increase the base amount the DOS is delivering so the Trident can keep it within range.

Read Neptune's guide here: https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/trident/tridentdos/
ok
let me ask you this way
so if trident will test that I am close to the desired dhk for example, then he DOS wont add, correct?
if trident will test the desired parameter below, then he will activate the DOS correst?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok
let me ask you this way
so if trident will test that I am close to the desired dhk for example, then he DOS wont add, correct?
if trident will test the desired parameter below, then he will activate the DOS correst?

1. You first define a base level of dosing required to maintain the 24 hour consumption for your tank.
2. You then tell the DOS how much extra to add (as a percentage of the base amount) if the test results are low, or how much less to add if the test results are high. There is no scenario where it will tell the DOS to not run at all, unless you manually add coding to the Advanced tab.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back