Trident

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m getting a used trident from a friend he no longer has the apex can I do the shutdown procedure on my apex and use it or does he have to do it on his end first before I can use it

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The shutdown procedure runs it dry so it doesnt dry up and ruin the lines. You dont have to do it all if you dont have it offline more than a couple days

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just unplugged not sure for how long what happens if he’s had it like that for awhile

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just heard back from him He’s had it u plugged for 3 months should I worry?
I wouldn't worry, per se. I would prime all the lines and run a calibration before use though if you get it. But I do know people that have had issues with used Tridents. Sorta a toss up.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you are picking it up ask in passing how long he owned it and if it has ever been serviced. Good to know along with how long it was off line.

It could be if they just shut it down without using the task that reagents dried out in the lines. It could, or could not, stain them or gunk up the lines. That is why there is a task to properly shut it down as noted above by a fellow hobbyist.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He says about a year but it’s been offline for 3 months he didn’t do the shutdown procedure he said he calibrated it before he unplugged it

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought one used on here that came with the DIY service kits. I was having trouble getting it primed out of the box but once I performed the service it’s running like a champ. Not a hard service to do yourself. Takes maybe 30 mins.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
$75 you have to order direct through Neptune. I would set it up first and see what happens. I would run a calibration too. Remember to start the trident setup task before plugging it in.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiw much does the service kit cost?

The suggested service is between 18 and 24 months. It isn't mandatory but recommended. A lot depends on how long it has been in service, tests per day, how do the results trend, etc. There are three options for service with each having a different price point. There is the DIY version which is the cheapest route. The hobbyist buys it, watches a video, and does the work on their won. Paul/Neptune did a great video on it. There is a option for you to send it in, they send one back. It may, or may not be, yours but you get one in return that has been in house serviced, and working. Then there is the cross ship with a pre-pay that gets credited back. It is the most expensive but you get a new one in return plus a month reagent set. I've personally done both self service and cross ship and happy with both. I don't remember the prices but Neptune's site has it I believe.

As to if it needs it - it sounds like it hasn't been used much so as noted above install it, install new reagent set, and go from there. Remember new reagent and installation will require a calibration. Recommended to do this about 48 - 72 hours after initial install. Follow this as it will allow a couple tests to be run.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$75 you have to order direct through Neptune. I would set it up first and see what happens. I would run a calibration too. Remember to start the trident setup task before plugging it in.

Yep - use the setup task. Calibrate 48 - 72 hours after. Ignore initial test results until calibrated. Also ty for the price est. I forgot what it ran but it was simple enough to do if warranted to do so.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back