Trident

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up my trident 5 days ago how long should I wait till I calibrate it

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing my answer since it wasn't precise and because I didn't know a calibration standard was included with reagent packages (and also because I can't delete a reply outright).

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune says

When should I calibrate my Trident?

The Trident should not be calibrated until at least 48 hours after its initial setup. This helps to ensure that the Trident is working normally before attempting the calibration. “Normal” can be defined as readings that are stable and generally consistent over the last 24-48 hours.
With every 2-month reagent package is a calibration standard. In every 2-month package Neptune Systems guarantees the reagents are from the same “batch.” The calibration standard allows your Trident to calibrate to that batch. Generally we recommend that at least 2-3 tests are completed on the new batch of reagents before attempting a calibration.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never calibrated it I have it running for 5 days now cross checking with my Hanna and salifert test kit they are way off
Hanna alk 8.4 trident 9.05
Hanna calcium 422 trident 314
Salifert magnesium 1450 trident 1518

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone... I use Hanna as my backup and have similar issues.
Trident Alk: 9, Hanna Alk: 9.8 (and it has been 9 for 2 months consistently)
Trident Ca: 400, Hanna Ca: 525 (and it has been 400 for 2 months consistently)

I just recalibrated and now my Ca reads 360 and NOTHING has changed... same dosing, same everything. The Hanna tests at 525... Hmmm!!

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... they just responded asking if I tested the calibration fluid with the Hanna tester...;Facepalm
They missed the point completely. Is my Ca really 360 or really 400? Not chasing numbers, but it does play into my dosing regiment...
Waiting to hear back from them again.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just calibrated mine using the calibration solution
neptune solution numbers on the bottle dkh 8.25 cal 405 mag 1235
hanna alk 9.3 cal 432 salifert mag 1500
ive seen online others calibrated used there tank water instead of the neptune solution according to there test kits numbers neptune dosent recommend doing this but again i really dont know

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune says

We are thrilled we found a piece of equipment that gives us a revenue stream of money in you having to buy consumables.

We are Neptune are tired of selling you a piece of equipment then never seeing another purchase from you for 5-10 years.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune says

We are thrilled we found a piece of equipment that gives us a revenue stream of money in you having to buy consumables.

We are Neptune are tired of selling you a piece of equipment then never seeing another purchase from you for 5-10 years.

Evil commercial company makes money off consumers wishing to pay money for their event, product or service. Where will the madness end?

I love my trident - that and my DOS’s doing awc and automated dosing are probably my favorite purchases of the last 15 years.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evil commercial company makes money off consumers wishing to pay money for their event, product or service. Where will the madness end?

I love my trident - that and my DOS’s doing awc and automated dosing are probably my favorite purchases of the last 15 years.
Everyone is so serious nowadays

Guess I need a disclaimer saying I'm only joking to get a laugh

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune never declared the accuracy of the Trident, only repeatability but that is not accuracy vs. a standard.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be which should I go by one would figure the trident because it’s automatic as opposed to the Hanna which requires a chance for human error I’m aware that the numbers won’t be the same but shouldn’t it be close to say the least

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was only looking for help seems this got out of hand wow
I think you just have a bunch of sarcastic people being noisy at one another. I’m certainly not upset.

Personally, my trident is my absolute favorite piece of testing equipment and my Hanna low range nitrate is my least favorite, but I wouldn’t say I’m upset with the Hanna, it’s just a pita.

I also think that consistency is more important than nailing a particular number (within reason, let’s not nail 15 dkh or anything), and the trident does help a lot with that once dialed in

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long have you had the hannah reagent open/how many test have you conducted. I believe once opened the alk reagent is only good for 1 month or 25 tests whichever comes first. I found this out the hard way in which a bottle of hannah was reading 9.8 and trident was reading 8.5... opened up a new bottle of hannah and turns out trident was dead on. The calcium for hannah is also a bit tricky which leads to inconsistencies. I would trust the trident more than hannah.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as the Hanna I’ve tested my water everyday alk was spot calcium was a little off but not by much mag was spot on as well I’m. Aware the trident should be more accurate than myself but for the numbers to be that off I think it’s a lot I was just trying to get others opinion on what to do

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back