Trigger Stuck underneath rock

owen_1.1200500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I purchased a Niger Trigger fish today, and I come home, can't find him swimming in my tank, and then i lift the rock, and he is in a crevice, like this, underneath the rock, but stuck to the rock. His eyes looked at me and his fins were moving, he's still alive. I need help telling if this is normal or if this is a serious problem. (This rock in this photo is flipped on its side, the fish faced the bottom when I found him)

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^This^^^

They will wedge themselves in a crevice when stressed and when they sleep. Perfectly normal for a new guy to do that. You will do way more harm in trying to "rescue" him from his hidey hole than if you just leave him be. In fact, trying to force him will just cause his "trigger" (rigid dorsal fin) to become that much more difficult to move.

BellaD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Niger Trigger that did the exact same thing. Found a medium sized gouge on one of my rocks and slept in it. Also went in it when he was frightened. Had a Picasso that did it too.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This behavior is why they are called triggerfish in the first place. They have one rigid appendage, or trigger, on the top and one on the bottom. These can lock upright in place to prevent them from being pulled out of whatever crevice they are hiding in. This behavior is perfectly normal.

Just leave him alone and he will settle in quicker.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very typical of all triggers as they use that upper dorsal as a Lock to secure themselves while hiding.
They also lay flat or upside down.. No cause for alarm. They do the darndest things

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back