Triggerfish scratching side.

ETH2ETH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bursa trigger scratches his right side on the sand and rock often after eating. Video is attached. He is eating well and has no visible signs of ich or scratches on him. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6230.MOV
    53.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bursa trigger scratches his right side on the sand and rock often after eating. Video is attached. He is eating well and has no visible signs of ich or scratches on him. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Wow - that is some violent scratching! Triggers often develop odd little behavior quirks, but this is pretty severe. The fish is scratching so hard it is actually getting out of breath. Does this happen after every feed, and always on the same side? How long have you had the fish?

Jay

OP
OP
ETH2ETH

ETH2ETH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - that is some violent scratching! Triggers often develop odd little behavior quirks, but this is pretty severe. The fish is scratching so hard it is actually getting out of breath. Does this happen after every feed, and always on the same side? How long have you had the fish?

Jay

we have had him for about a month. I have only noticed him do that on his right side. And I wouldn’t say every feeding but I have only seen him doing that after feeding. I still have yet to see any scratches on his side either. He is also still eating well and is active otherwise.

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the behavior of flukes. I would do a proper freshwater dip to confirm.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have had him for about a month. I have only noticed him do that on his right side. And I wouldn’t say every feeding but I have only seen him doing that after feeding. I still have yet to see any scratches on his side either. He is also still eating well and is active otherwise.
The fact that it is only scratching on one side and only after a feed leads me to a behavior issue, not flukes, but if the fish hasn't been treated for flukes, that is a good idea to do anyway. You should research using Prazipro, it is fish-safe as long as you increase aeration while dosing, and is mostly safe for invertebrates (excepts worms, delicate corals and maybe clams).

Jay

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw my kuiter's wrasse flashing twice today ☹️ scratched twice or thrice each time and then continued swimming regular. I am bummed to say the least.
Can't even imagine what you must be going through. The little guy looks awfully stressed.

OP
OP
ETH2ETH

ETH2ETH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that it is only scratching on one side and only after a feed leads me to a behavior issue, not flukes, but if the fish hasn't been treated for flukes, that is a good idea to do anyway. You should research using Prazipro, it is fish-safe as long as you increase aeration while dosing, and is mostly safe for invertebrates (excepts worms, delicate corals and maybe clams).

Jay
Thanks for the advice. He is acting normal today after feeding. He is in our fish only tank anyway so I will look into treating with that. Thanks again!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back