Triton 10 month Feedback

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JohannesFFM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I want to give some feedback regarding my experience so far with the Triton Method. I am a saltwater aquarium beginner. My setup is:

Reefer 250
custom Triton sump
orphek v4 lights
Vectra M1
BM Curve 7
2 Tunze Stream 3
Apex classic
5 Head dosing pump

startet with:
carib sea rocks
1 live rock in the sump
caulerpa in sump
SPS/LPS corals
7 small fish

my tank is now 10 months old and everything is working ok. I have minor coralline algae. no coralline on rocks (I know triton only wants live rock ;). instead I have some cyanos and some bubble formed dynos on the rocks. the dynos became more of a problem after a di resin cartridge was depleted and I didn’t notice it right away. after adding silicate remover it got a bit better with the dynos. I read almost everything I can for two year now but missed some things I didn’t watch out for. my actual problem is my ultra low nutrient environment. I had 0.0 nitrate and phosphate for some time now and I think that’s a reason why I am having problems with cyano and dyno. the sump worked to well and the phosphate and silicate remover did make it worse. I noticed that my corals where not happy every time I changed gfo. my last icp did say I should remove gfo and I started overfeeding my fish and stopped rising my food. after that I got for the first time ever some algae growing in my display tank. my phosphate is 0,04 and i will add some nitrate to the tank, to get my nitrate levels above 0.0. one of my mistakes was not giving to much attention to nitrate levels. if you have a big tank with many fish you probably won’t run into my problems but with my setup and wanting to only add fish suited for my tank size I created a low nutrient situation. I know that triton is staring ndoc and maybe that will help beginners to avoid my situation. it would be great if triton did make a beginner guide explain what they test, what they don’t test! and what a new user look out for. the triton setup with a big refugium and gfo is in some situations to powerful when you only have a few small fish and many corals. I will continue to use triton and can’t wait to have the ndoc test available.

Regards Johannes

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken, I believe @d2mini had a similar experience to yours when starting his tank with the Triton method. The lack of nutrients when starting up a tank seems to be the problem. In his case I think it led to his fuge crashing as well.

OP
OP
J

JohannesFFM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
sorry if its difficult to read. English is not my native language. i will try to do better next time :)
The nutrient aspect or better the possibility of lacking nutrients when starting is something to be aware of as a beginner.
Regards Johannes

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
sorry if its difficult to read. English is not my native language. i will try to do better next time :)
The nutrient aspect or better the possibility of lacking nutrients when starting is something to be aware of as a beginner.
Regards Johannes

Your english is fine! People just don't like to read dense paragraphs online (it's hard on some peoples eyes). All that your posted needed was a little more formatting. In your case, if you hit the enter key a few more times it would have been perfect!

Again, don't worry it's fine, some people just don't have great eyes.. Especially in a hobby comprised of mostly older men :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back