Triton/ Ati water test comparison

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Triton test laying around and saw an Ati at my lfs and thought I would send them both in to see what, if anything, would be the difference.

My first impressions seem to lean toward the Ati.

They give a third vial to test your RO water along with the 2 tank vials. Big plus to help track down any issues.

I have done a Triton before and really like the detailed report they give. They prioritize on things that need to be taken care of immediately and things that you may need to watch.

I have heard that Ati comes back a lot quicker. That was the one thing that was outputting on the Triton. I live in SC so it has to go to California before it gets sent to Germany. The label on the ATI says California, but not sure if it gets forwarded on from there.

Stay tuned and I will get the results in a few weeks and see the difference, if any.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have done a Triton and literally just sent an ATI yesterday. Triton only took about 10 days so I am waiting to see.
When it comes back please share your thoughts.

I am looking mainly for a comparison of samples taken at the same time. Literally dipped one vial after the other.

I usually do my water changes on the w/e so these samples aren't going to be tainted be a recent water change.

Danny Venditti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes back please share your thoughts.

I am looking mainly for a comparison of samples taken at the same time. Literally dipped one vial after the other.

I usually do my water changes on the w/e so these samples aren't going to be tainted be a recent water change.
I certainly will. I do like the fact of the R/O test as well. I waited till a few days after my water change also but My parameters are stable and consistent so I think it will still be a decent comparison. I am very interested at seeing a same time compare though.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my email from Triton yesterday saying my barcode was scanned in California and the water is being forwarded to Germany.
When I mailed both, the Post Office said they would both be delivered Monday.
Idk if the ATI gets sent to Germany also. There is a lot of foreign language options on their website like Triton.
So far I am still liking the ATI because of the price point also. At around $10 cheaper the postage to Cali was covered. Although from my home state of South Carolina it was only $3 to send the Triton, that still 3 more dollars between the two.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI sent an email early this morning. Test is ready.
6abb40fca066c0bccae4a1afc0f9586d.jpg

Less than a week is pretty impressive. When I had first sent a Triton, I was having tank issues. Getting quick results is a major plus when you are trying to get to the root of a problem.

Another plus in ATI's column.

Now let's wait and see the results of both. Triton still has a chance with their detailed analysis and game plans to correct issues. I haven't looked at the ATI yet, but not counting triton out yet.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along for this. I've used triton in the past and like the service. Waiting game would be the only con, if ATI comes up with similar results in a shorter time frame I'll give them a go. Great thread idea BTW.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks smite.

Speed cost and actionable intelligence are all 3 major things most of US consider when doing a water test. The main thing for me Was if Triton says I have point 035 Joules of unobtanium what does the ATI come back. Just to see if they were consistent from the different facilities.
Of course, our worst nightmare if they come back showing different numbers. Who do we go to to find out who is right and who is just punching in horoscope numbers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, our worst nightmare if they come back showing different numbers. Who do we go to to find out who is right and who is just punching in horoscope numbers.

That has been the case in some other test comparisons between ICP analysis companies, and some oddities were clearly technical errors of some sort.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been the case in some other test comparisons between ICP analysis companies, and some oddities were clearly technical errors of some sort.

I´m sure they will differ.

I only use 1 of them - because for me – it’s most important to see trends – not absolute values.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure the bigger scheme of things, this is still just a hobbiest grade test. To get the kind of precision testing we all hope this would be would definitely be cost prohibitive.

My sister is a genetic engineer. They do testing on Materials for computer chips. The microscope that they use to examine the layers what they shave it down cost about a million dollars. Can you imagine how much a water test on a million dollar Machine would cost.

Danny Venditti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it took me a few days to digest all the info on my first Triton test.
seems most things are good except I have a high level of tin and zinc.... The RO/DI test didn't show it so it has to be in the tank somewhere. maybe a dropped clamp or screw (Who knows) I have a bare bottom tank so I will be searching through everything tonight. the test is detailed and provides remediation steps for the high impact items. it is more basic than the Triton and provides less "step by step" detail. My general recommendation is to alternate quarterly between the 2 and I think I will follow that for a bit to see the comparison over a period of time.

I will say it took less than a week to get the results from ATI so very fast turn around.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!!

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems most things are good except I have a high level of tin and zinc.... The RO/DI test didn't show it so it has to be in the tank somewhere. maybe a dropped clamp or screw (Who knows) I have a bare bottom tank so I will be searching through everything tonight. the test is detailed and provides remediation steps for the high impact items. it is more basic than the Triton and provides less "step by step" detail. My general recommendation is to alternate quarterly between the 2 and I think I will follow that for a bit to see the comparison over a period of time.

I will say it took less than a week to get the results from ATI so very fast turn around.
So fast turnaround is definitely a big plus when you are having a tank issue.

Price point is also a big factor for a lot of us. Although 10 or 15 bucks in the big picture isn't much. It seems we have a lot reefers with tighter budgets than others. Throwing big money out just for sake of it isn't smart no matter what your budget.

Triton is so much more than just a water test with their complete system in place. Like you said a more detailed report is always welcome.

I can't wait to see mine side by side just for the comparison and entertainment value.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back