Triton Core 7 - target 8DKH or 7DKH?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conflicting information, on the Core7 bottles it says that the target DKH is 8.
However in the PDF method guide from Triton it states a DKH of 7. Stability really is key here, but what should Triton Core 7 users be aiming for?

On the bottle:
778dff530b54500e8b04f10585da59fe.jpg

In the PDF method guide:
https://www.triton-lab.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Brochures/Guide_to_the_TRITON_Method_5-4-17-web.pdf

"Note: for users of Base Elements CORE7 we recommend a target dKH of 7."
e7d837539c26e0ea6a82bafdf43e7eda.png

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both, the target number is around 8dKH due to the inherent errors in home KH kits of around +-1dKH so if we aim for 8 then that gives more room for error. Once a stable dose has been achieved then in conjunction with the ICP testing you can fine tune your dose closer to 7. When I say in conjunction with ICP I mean looking at your other elements, if all you macro elements are a touch high then that could indicate you KH measurement is actually higher than you think.

The clarify, the system should be setup to achieve a stable dose of around 8dKH, once that has been achieved you should then look (depending on your analysis) to lowering the dose closer to 7dKH.

I hope that helps, and we will look to explaining it better on the guide...

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so let me try to figure this out.
In the beginning we would want the target range to be closer to 8dkh. Because of human error and that is the safe zone for the plus or minus one dkh.

After we believe that we found the consistent dose we will send away for an icp test. When we get the icp test back depending on what the other elements are at we can adjust down to seven to get the macro elements where they belong but if everything test out ok keep it at the eight?

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A stable dose of between 7-9dKH is the target.

The number 8 is chosen as it is middle ground and the point where most Alk test kits can be accurate enough with +-1dkh. You can stop there if you want to.

However once you have achieved a stable dose you may find that your Ca and Mg are higher than you want them to be, conversely you may find that they are lower than you want them to be. At this point then you can deduce that your KH test kit may be over or under reading. You can then adjust your dosing to stabilise at a lower/higher KH to balance the other parameters at more suitable numbers for you.

Core7 runs better when set to a KH of 7, but more important than that is the stability.

For 90% of customers 8dKH is where they will stay for the first few months until they are confident in their home test kit and have had other parameters confirmed with the ICP.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Triton results back which showed I was very low on Ca and low on Mg among other elements. I don't get it... my Kh is 7.4 and the 4 DOS heads are calibrated correctly so I did not often test Ca & Mg because dosage is the same for all 4 bottles which I see are used equally. One thing I notice is the Hanna alkalinity reagents give a different test results with each new replacement bottle. I bought 3 bottles and tested... one was way off and the other two were pretty close so I don't trust the home testing kits. Just for information... I almost have every bottle of elements now with Lithium, Sulfur and Nickel now recommended to be added with the latest test results. Triton has been good to my tank so I'm going to follow their advice religiously and see how it goes.

A post of mine taken from another thread which I think is the issue I have with growth. Slowly raising the dosage to 8 but I'm up to 14.5ml in 67 gallons total water volume and not there yet. Red(sp) in another thread that 12ml in a 100 gallon tank (Justin's ?) is too much. Mixed 1 1/2 yr tank (Softies LPS & SPS in equal proportions) that is doing very well, except growth, but I'm afraid of dosing too far and "blowing it". Advice appreciated. Would post picture but still learning to do that properly.

Question to Justin... looked at your videos (very nice setup) and see that you use Fuel. Did you get an elevated copper reading on your tests? I'm on my 4th test and had 0 copper until I started Fuel (I liked it). If you didn't I'll have to look elsewhere for source of copper... maybe magnet. Thanks in advance.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A post of mine taken from another thread which I think is the issue I have with growth. Slowly raising the dosage to 8 but I'm up to 14.5ml in 67 gallons total water volume and not there yet. Red(sp) in another thread that 12ml in a 100 gallon tank (Justin's ?) is too much. Mixed 1 1/2 yr tank (Softies LPS & SPS in equal proportions) that is doing very well, except growth, but I'm afraid of dosing too far and "blowing it". Advice appreciated. Would post picture but still learning to do that properly.

Question to Justin... looked at your videos (very nice setup) and see that you use Fuel. Did you get an elevated copper reading on your tests? I'm on my 4th test and had 0 copper until I started Fuel (I liked it). If you didn't I'll have to look elsewhere for source of copper... maybe magnet. Thanks in advance.
yea I'm using fuel when I rember to do it like once a week and that's only cause I won it as a door prize so when it's done I'm done I haven't really noticed anything great about it when dosed when I get my results back I will let u know most def I'm a send it out on Monday.

And 12 ml in a 100 gallon tank is .6 dkh uptake in a day so I don't see how that is too much.

If I were u I would test every day with the dose you are doing and then in a week if the dkh stays consistant add .5 ml a day until ur target number is reached now I am no professional but that's what I would do.

Also thanks for the compliment on my tank

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 full of frags and I’m only dosing 2.8ml a Day core7. Hanna checker every night for 8dkh. I just added a reefsyenergy triton Sump so I’m waiting to everything to cool down and send another test in, Ive been showing low mg and potassium. I know a bunch of elements got in the tank during switch nothing crazy tho. I’m not showing low my anymore. I don’t know how you guys dose so much of this stuff. I need more growth !

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it matters but it seems 8 dkh you are referring to is for the regular Core7 system and the 7 dkh is referring to the Base Elements system.

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes Sense I was thinkinghow much these guys must have growing to be dosing that high. I know my tank is pretty decent for a year old system full of SPS frags now way I could dose that much.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volume of your tanks is only one part to factor in, the main one is Alk, Ca and Mg uptake by your hard corals and clams. The more of these animals you have and the more there growing!!! The higher your dose will be, this demand is irrelevant of tank size. Therefore it's unwise to compare usage and tank volume. The figures Triton give for dosing per 100L is simply a guide and we need to individually adjust to meet our demand.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70F8086F-5839-4C4A-99FF-88B3CF8447CF.jpeg

Just taken
614C5068-FC34-442B-B639-135C07A01516.jpeg

Taken September 28th

CDE5F717-0AC1-4B21-8AD9-D41DB669D901.jpeg

A lot of encrusting growth still
So ur tank is consuming about 1 dkh a day .93333 to be exact so if your Corals are growing then that’s great.

Like the other guy said we may have a whole lot more coral then you do so don’t worry about the dosage just if ur sticks are happy.

I found around 7.5 dkh to be that sweet spot for my tank and triton

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great insight thank you. I’ve had a lot of troubles and set backs with this tank. I’m a nervous wreck. I’m forever waiting for another crash and lose everything again.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great insight thank you. I’ve had a lot of troubles and set backs with this tank. I’m a nervous wreck. I’m forever waiting for another crash and lose everything again.
Well think positive and think of it as a learning experience not a crash. I somehow lost a bunch of my Corals which I have no 100% idea why. I was disgruntled and didn’t want to look at the tank for a while but then I realized half my fish are over a year old that’s the longest I have gone keeping fish alive so do I fee horrible and am I upset about the Corals yes I do truly horrible but my fish are happy and alive.
And I beleive I figured out why my Corals were stn ing and it was nothing I did so that made me a bit happy and I went out and bought a tiny frag to see if I was right.

So take it in waves this hobby can get u down but when u stick with it it will bring u right back up. And fearing a crash everyday will not help u know that what ur doing is the right thing
u test alk everyday?
The rest of Ur params at least once a week?
U have the proper lighting and flow?

If u answers yes to these ur doing it right and u should start fearing that ur Corals will outgrow your tank.

madcanary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I had my 220 rear seal fail and had to have major work done to my house I finally decided to get another. I set to tank up November last year. I’ve had velvet wipe all my fish, went fallow and monti eating flatworms age most of my coral, I’ve had bryopsis 2 heater fails (cobalt) one which resulted in fish loss.
I have plenty of flow and lights. I test alk every night but when I think I got it right something proves me wrong. I’m hopeful if I could just get my fish through QT I’d be happier.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I had my 220 rear seal fail and had to have major work done to my house I finally decided to get another. I set to tank up November last year. I’ve had velvet wipe all my fish, went fallow and monti eating flatworms age most of my coral, I’ve had bryopsis 2 heater fails (cobalt) one which resulted in fish loss.
I have plenty of flow and lights. I test alk every night but when I think I got it right something proves me wrong. I’m hopeful if I could just get my fish through QT I’d be happier.
But u learned something each time

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it matters but it seems 8 dkh you are referring to is for the regular Core7 system and the 7 dkh is referring to the Base Elements system.
8dKH is the starting point for achieving the balanced dose, this is due to most home test kits having a error of +-1dKH, once you have a stable dose you can lower your KH to closer to 7 if your other parameters are sitting a little high. That goes for both versions of Core7.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be running the triton method with triton sump with a fuge using pom pom and also dosing phtyo and rotifers and having pods in the fuge. I will also have a skimmer and biopellet reactor in play.

That being said....I see people wait and I see people start it off day one. People say wait on the fuge till the system is mature and stable and with the triton it needs a fuge in order to correctly establish itself.

Plan: Setup tank using Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and argo sand. Run cycle using using skimmer but no biopellet until tank is mature. After that I am going to run the fuge with pom pom and pods that will be fed using an auto phyto reactor feeding the pods and DT. Once my tank is stable after that point is when I planned on introducing the trition method

Question: Is this a fair plan with the method?

Back