Triton dosage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah. That's crazy. did you mix the solution correctly? I don't see how you couldn't but just making sure. Call Scott at Triton USA. Keep us updated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 100 gallon reef heavy coral and fish . Was using 3 part bionics - 80ml alk & cal 60 ml mag. 8.1 ph ,9 dkh , 440 cal, 1380 mag . Switched
To triton 4 part started at recommended 40 ml of each and my ph crashed to 7.2 ,alk below 7 and cal 380 increase all up to about
80 ml triton results still poor went 90ml on 1&2 left 3&4 around 60 still ph down at 7.7 and allk at 7.2 cal 380 . Couldn't take it went back to bionics
And everything back up to normal. Not sure what to do . Anybody experience same thing ?

While I do not know exactly how they formulate their additives, Triton does say that sodium bicarbonate is a primary ingredient. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) has no pH boost when added to seawater. Most two parts, such as the original B-ionic you are likely using or my DIY Recipe #1 (such as sold by BRS), use sodium carbonate (baked baking soda), which does cause a pH boost when added.

So this difference may explain your lower pH, and may explain why Keithcorals does not see any cloudiness when adding the alk part. That cloudiness is magnesium hydroxide in the locally high pH of a high pH additive, and sodium bicarbonate won't cause it.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 gallon water volume

Dosage is 86ml/86ml/86ml/86ml and the water removal is 156.52ml per day

The tank is about 15% stocked I'm going with the minimalist aqua-scape look.

The KH is stable now at 8.4

I have been looking at the Europeans before and after pictures since they started the Triton Method. They started maybe a year before us and I'm seeing pictures of explosive coral growth. They say their dosage goes up a lot initially.

Maybe the cost of the Triton Chemicals are the same as water changes but the Triton method seems to be a lot easer for me and the corals in the us aren't growing anywhere near as fast as the Europeans corals using Triton.

Gene

Rjedreski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy - thanks , so how would you dose the sodium carbonate ? Does the lack of sodium carbonate affect the DKH also?

Rjedreski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I bought four three gallon polycarbonate water bottles and mixed the 9liters of RODI in each element . Actually
I was surprised how easily element 1 mixed usually a carbonate/ alkaline granules do not mix very easily .
Randy in his thread - mentioned the sodium carbonate / sodium bicarbonate and the difference it has on PH not sure on the DKH
Though as that was down to 6 DKH ( I used Hanna & sail fret test kit to confirm.) so I'm still trying to figure this out
Do I dose another sodium carbonate solution to keep the ph and alkalinity up?

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose kalkwasser to increase ph. Open up the windows n let some fresh air in may help. I am not sure why your ph drops so low. Recalibrate the pH probe to make sure.

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, since you mentioned what is likely in the ALK. What about the Calcium portion?

Most typical CA 2 part has chloride in it. Which isn't really a problem except that if follow Triton to the T it says you don't need water changes. I can't remember if it was you or Boomer that charted it out and came to the conclusion that you need approx. 30% water change per month to keep the chloride/sulphate from getting too far out of whack over long period of time. So is it possible to make a highly concentrated CA solution that has little to no chloride in it to cause this gradual rise and make up a larger % of the total salinity. I can see going 1-2 years without water change that this could be a factor if chloride is present at any substantial amount in the Calcium part of the Elements additives.

Like you, I'm a long time kalkwasser user been using it exclusively since 2003 and ran CA reactor prior to that. My tanks have lots of surface area so even heavily stocked and 400+ frags growing out in the system, I still have no troubles keeping CA/ALK levels using kalkwasser as evaporation rates are well into the 2-3% per day. I really wouldn't want to stop as it's pretty economical buying 5g buckets worth of kalkwasser at a time. So the ALK/CA parts of the elements are of no use to me. Only one I would consider would be the 3A & 3B but doesn't look like they are sold seperately. So no Elements dosing for me. I have had two Triton tests done and started dosing the ones I'm low at individually but not using Triton as they just came out last month and had already started as soon as I got my tests, specifically silicate, molybdenum, vanadium, manganese. Everything else didn't show difficient in Instant Ocean and my tank results. I'm personally not sold yet on the no water changes aspect as my tank is really rockin' and probably just going to keep doing what I'm doing but it's done so well. The CA and what in it is one of the main stumbling blocks for me with the Triton elements dosing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 100 gallon reef heavy coral and fish . Was using 3 part bionics - 80ml alk & cal 60 ml mag. 8.1 ph ,9 dkh , 440 cal, 1380 mag . Switched
To triton 4 part started at recommended 40 ml of each and my ph crashed to 7.2 ,alk below 7 and cal 380 increase all up to about
80 ml triton results still poor went 90ml on 1&2 left 3&4 around 60 still ph down at 7.7 and allk at 7.2 cal 380 . Couldn't take it went back to bionics
And everything back up to normal. Not sure what to do . Anybody experience same thing ?

I've already bumped mine up, but I started slightly lower than suggested due to my alk spike. You have to remember that the triton product is quite diluted so it may take quite a bit more for the same results. I'm not familiar with the bionics but I assume is like the majority of others.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per the Triton test for my 120 gallon reef tank;

4 weekly 15% water changes have been done with Pure

Maintaining the DKH @ 8.4

Performed these test today with red sea pro test kits;

salinity 35ppt
PH 8.13
Ca 470
Mg 1540
K 452

I don't know why the readings are so high? But the corals look better than ever and they are growing better than ever.

Gene

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 gallon water volume

Dosage is 86ml/86ml/86ml/86ml and the water removal is 156.52ml per day

The tank is about 15% stocked I'm going with the minimalist aqua-scape look.

The KH is stable now at 8.4

I have been looking at the Europeans before and after pictures since they started the Triton Method. They started maybe a year before us and I'm seeing pictures of explosive coral growth. They say their dosage goes up a lot initially.

Maybe the cost of the Triton Chemicals are the same as water changes but the Triton method seems to be a lot easer for me and the corals in the us aren't growing anywhere near as fast as the Europeans corals using Triton.

Gene
what do you mean when you say water removal?

[/U]

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my setup. Currently dosing 60ml! Looking good so far. I love how simplistic it is. Litermeter 3 is an awesome pump. Super quiet n very reliable. Highly recommended if u guys want high quality pumps.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421003525483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421003525483.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 456
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421003552257.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421003552257.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 454

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a calculator on the Triton web site that tells you how much water is dumped out of the tank. On the site you put in your dosage amount and it tells you how much water to take out of the tank.

Found here; | Triton-Method Method calculator | Triton GmbH

Gene

hmm glad i read this thread, i havent started dosing the elementz yet but i had no idea i would have to take out water daily. So this is something you do daily as well i presume? or is it only if your salinity increases?

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you want. You just have to measure your salinity a bit more often than usual. The salinity isn't going to increase all that much even within a week especially when ur starting out.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wet skimming you may find that you do not need to remove water at all.

Only if your salinity starts to rise.

Cheers Tim

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some trouble with high alk I'm all setup and running now at 96ml a day (4ml 24x a day) with around 180gal total water volume.
The setup for now

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, Keith. Keep us updated with your progress. Mine has been solid at 142ppm at 60ml. Loving the simplicity of the whole thing so far.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 55 73.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back