Triton dosage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a sump ? :D

I have two 80 gallon tanks next to each other plumbed into one sump. One stand is full of my sump and refugium and the other have my topoff bucket dosing pump 4 part and a handful of mp10 and tunze controllers. My apex and most other plugs are on top of the shelf/light rack above the tanks.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my alk has continued to drop so I just up'd my dosage again to about 120ml of each part. It's a good size jump but it got down to 7.3 dkh so I have to put a stop on the drop. I'm fearful that I may have some trouble with some corals after this, since I initially started out with a spike from accidentally over dosing due to bad programming on my part. That said, several corals that had been going down hill seem to be turning around for the better.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a sump ? :D

I have two 80 gallon tanks next to each other plumbed into one sump. One stand is full of my sump and refugium and the other have my topoff bucket dosing pump 4 part and a handful of mp10 and tunze controllers. My apex and most other plugs are on top of the shelf/light rack above the tanks.

Wow thats a cool set up.

I took all the softies out of my tank and trying my hand at sps and a few lps.

Gene

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gpwdr thanks I keep mostly acros in one and montis in the other. I used to have problems with over lighting the montis in the shallow tank so I got a second for lower light SPS

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens if you dont remove recommended volume of water while dosing base elementz
Salinity will slowly increase.... High salinity is not good. The rise will be slow. Just take a scoop of water out n dump back I'm some fresh water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy - thanks , so how would you dose the sodium carbonate ? Does the lack of sodium carbonate affect the DKH also?

Sorry, I missed this.

Sodium bicarbonate is a perfectly fine alkalinity additive, but it cannot be made as concentrated as sodium carbonate as it is less soluble.

If you start with baking soda and bake it, you get sodium carbonate. Or you can buy it. Disoslve it in RO/DI and dose as needed.

I show how to make a two part from it here:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, since you mentioned what is likely in the ALK. What about the Calcium portion?

Most typical CA 2 part has chloride in it. Which isn't really a problem except that if follow Triton to the T it says you don't need water changes. I can't remember if it was you or Boomer that charted it out and came to the conclusion that you need approx. 30% water change per month to keep the chloride/sulphate from getting too far out of whack over long period of time. So is it possible to make a highly concentrated CA solution that has little to no chloride in it to cause this gradual rise and make up a larger % of the total salinity. I can see going 1-2 years without water change that this could be a factor if chloride is present at any substantial amount in the Calcium part of the Elements additives.

It is certainly going to contain calcium chloride as there's little other option, but I hope and expect that they have the chloride/sulfate balance worked out with the various things they add to the other parts. Even my DIY accomplishes that using magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) as the source of the sulfate). Sodium sulfate is another possible ingredient for a two part to add sufficient sulfate. Calcium sulfate is not very soluble, but could be used in a dilute solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm glad i read this thread, i havent started dosing the elementz yet but i had no idea i would have to take out water daily. So this is something you do daily as well i presume? or is it only if your salinity increases?

It is a necessary effect of any two/three part additive system. It is not peculiar to Triton's product.

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a necessary effect of any two/three part additive system. It is not peculiar to Triton's product.
So lemme get this right...I should be taking out water from my tank on a daily basis while dosing 3 part? This is news to me. How do you determine the amount to take out per day?

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
168 ml of each part per day seems to be about what it takes to keep up with my systems requirements. Thats quite a bit more than the 100ml or so per day as the suggested starting point. I suppose if I still had the acros I had before then that number would be much higher. lol

I never removed water while dosing c-balance of a regular basis either. I think I just remove enough to keep the salinity in line in the normal course of my day, as I never had it fluctuate. I take out water from my reef to thaw food etc, and feed that food to all my other tanks as well, so thats replaced by ATO.

Last edited:

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i missing somthing? 4 part?

Elementz 1 + 9 Liter of rodi water
Elements 2 + 9 Liter of rodi water
Elements 3a first add 8 Liter of rodi water then add the 3b or am i wrong?

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And why isn´t it a normal 4 part then? I think you have to mix them.

You can mix 3A & 3B together to make 10L or you can mix 3A to make 10L and mix 3B separately to make another 10L

There has been a crystallization problem with 3A & 3B mixed together.

I believe either way is OK.

Gene

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct you can combine 3a+3b or leave them separate.

There were a few cases last year of solution 3 crystalizing.

However I never experienced it and running them combined.

Back