Triton method - basic question

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've just started the triton method and have some very basic questions I can't seem to find on triton's site or anywhere else.

1) When dosing core 7 base element 1, 2, (3a+3b combined), how much time must pass in between dosing each solution ? (ie. When dosing ESV b-ionic 2 part, I usually dose alkalinity first and then wait 30 minutes before dosing calcium. is it the same for triton core 7 ? 30 minutes wait time ?)

2) I understand alk, and ca needs to be dosed at 30 minutes interval to avoid precipitation. what about solution 1 ( magnesium) ? do we also need to allow 30 minutes to pass before dosing calcium or alkalinity ?

3) after mixing 3a+3b together, the resulting solution is clear and has no precipitation at all. However when I dose it (3.5 ml) into my sump (via ghl doser) white flaky precipitate forms. the doser drips into the return pump section of the sump which is quite small containing only 1.5 gallon of water. Am I right in assuming due to small size of the section that is the cause of the precipitate ? or any solution to avoid precipitate ? I didn't have this problem dosing esv b-ionic 2 part.

my current parameters are:

alk: 8.0
ca: 438
mag: 1320
sal: 1.026
phos : 0.04
nitrate: 0

tests done via Hanna checkers.

question 1, 2 are very basic and i'm surprised triton method does not have any instructions on this anywhere on the website or pamphlet.

thank you for reading and helping

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @george7523

First off #WelcometoR2R !

Let me disclaimer my response with the fact that I do not use Triton, but another method very similar. However, I think I can answer two of your questions..

#1, you should not need to wait 30 minutes between dosing as long as you are dosing into a high flow area. As long as turnover in your sump is halfway decent, it should not be an issue to dose with a 5 min gap, if you are concerned. My dosages happen at the same time directly to my display over powerheads, therefore the solution dissipates instantly.

#2, the only thing I can think of for the magnesium dosage is that dosing magnesium plays a role in minimizing abiotic precipitation. So as long as you are maintaining the appropriate amount (for instance 1380ppm), it should assist in minimizing abiotic precipitation onto objects such as pumps and heaters. Here is a quote of an article provided by @Randy Holmes-Farley

"If magnesium is lower than normal, then it may not adequately get onto growing calcium carbonate surfaces, allowing the deposition of calcium carbonate to proceed faster than it otherwise would, potentially leading to increased abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate from seawater onto objects such as heaters and pumps. Often the inability to maintain adequate calcium and alkalinity despite extensive supplementation, and the precipitation of significant amounts of calcium carbonate on heaters and pumps, are signs that the water has inadequate magnesium."

For #3, can you attempt dosing the same amount at the same speed over a powerhead in the display and let me know if you get the same result? My educated guess that the volume and slow movement of the water in that section of the sump may be causing your problem and this is a good test to my hypothesis :)

Back