Triton refugium a bit small???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Campo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I want to use the triton method on my brand new 120 display tank however this is on the second floor. So due to space and weight issues I could only use the trigger triton 34 sump which only has a 10 gallon fug area. So since my display tank is 120 gallons does having a 8ish percent refugium hurt my chances for successful triton?

Thanks for you time. Sorry if this has been asked I tried to search with nothing.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know triton recommend minimal 10% but I think you might get away with it ... I run triton other methods so I don’t have a refugium..maybe others opinions may differ

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, I reached out to them and they recommended I supplemented with carbon dosing. Apparently this is not uncommon as most sumps don't offer a large enough fuge.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your 'frug is a little smaller than recommended there will be more than enough nutrients to feed it. Get the best light you can afford which will make the plants in the 'frug grow fast. I have a 65 gallon tank (67 gallon total water volume) and the 'frug is only 4 1/2 gallons with the Kessel 380 light. I use the full Triton method for a year+. With a way undersized 'frug my NO3 and PO4 still went and stayed at zero which I think may of caused a dino problem in my tank. So I'm going to try and slow down my 'frug with Triton Other Methods next time I order. Your 'frug is very close to being correct size for the full Triton method. You wisely spent the money on a Triton sump so do your proper research (check BRS site) on the light that will be over the 'frug. Get a good one and see if adjusting the "hours on" duration to control the nutrient intake of the plants to keep some NO3 and PO4. In my opinion I would try first to keep away from dosing anything if you don't have too. You won't know until you run your tank awhile.

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally agree with @Oberst Oswald, the problem I had was, my nitrates and phosphates never went any direction but up. I have an eshopps R-200 Refugium Sump with a Kessil H80 Fuge Led. Once I dialed that in, the growth was incredible and I expected to see my numbers dropping...but no, they continued to go up. I feed lightly, once a day and still couldn't make headway. It was very frustrating. Thats when I reached out to the guys on the Triton forum and they suggested I do carbon dosing. Mind you, my total volume is probably around 70 gallons and my refugium is probably around 4.5 gallons. That puts me in the 6-7% range of the minimum requirement noted by the triton method.

@Campo21 you're in a much better situation than I am, I would say get yourself a good fuge light and pay attention to the chaeto growth. If your not getting any growth then you may need to change the spectrum. Some people weight their chaeto...not sure how accurate that is though.

OP
OP
C

Campo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use dry rock like pukani? They say it leaches for quite some time.

OP
OP
C

Campo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok this is good information, I was actually planning on getting the kessel 380 anyways because i figured this was more about macro growth rather than actual fuge size. I have a question though.
has anyone tried or heard about or tried the "
MarsHydro 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Hydroponic Indoor Plants Growing Veg and Flower

I tried posting the link but it said it thougth i was spam

Guess its for growing weed and I have a reefer friend that swears it grows macro like crazy.

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, it works, but I like the Kessil better. Plus with the Kessil’s you can program them into your apex if you like. Not that it’s a huge plus though.

OP
OP
C

Campo21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually is a big plus for me, thank you. Do you need an extra module to control the kessel like the radions?

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one, it works, but I like the Kessil better. Plus with the Kessil’s you can program them into your apex if you like. Not that it’s a huge plus though.

You can’t control the H380 with the Kessil. It has one knob grow, bloom or off. No slot for a controller cable.

The H80 you can control with your Apex.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quit fooling around and get the Kessil H380...

Guess I'm "fooling around." I've had the Mars aqua above and can't run it for more than 6 hours a day or my phosphates COMPLETELY bottom out... 0 on a Hannah phos ULR. Top of my chaeto gets 1200 par.

Here's a photo of how much of an impact it has on pH when it turns off around 4am.

Screenshot_2018-04-24-20-13-53.png

I think I'll keep "fooling around" and spend that extra 300 on SPS.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back