Trochus Snail Help

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of days ago, I noticed that my trochus snails cleaned up most of the algae on the rocks. I made a post asking if they would starve, but the general answer was no and since that post, the algae has come back, but the snails are not cleaning it up. Instead, they like to run all over my zoas and mushrooms, which I have never seen before. I also have noticed that they are slowing down and becoming less active during the night as well. Should I just leave them be? If not, what should I do?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple of days ago, I noticed that my trochus snails cleaned up most of the algae on the rocks. I made a post asking if they would starve, but the general answer was no and since that post, the algae has come back, but the snails are not cleaning it up. Instead, they like to run all over my zoas and mushrooms, which I have never seen before. I also have noticed that they are slowing down and becoming less active during the night as well. Should I just leave them be? If not, what should I do?
Cuc doing what it does. Give it time or possibly more/different cuc.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I tell if they are not getting enough food? Also, can trochus snails damage corals?
Cuc are weird, IMHO there really isn't a 'way' to tell if they are eating or not. Trochus snails won't hurt coral, they may make their way over it in the hunt for algae but no harm will come to the coral outside of general irritation from something crawling on it.

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuc are weird, IMHO there really isn't a 'way' to tell if they are eating or not. Trochus snails won't hurt coral, they may make their way over it in the hunt for algae but no harm will come to the coral outside of general irritation from something crawling on it.
Thanks for the help!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I tell if they are not getting enough food? Also, can trochus snails damage corals?
Take my advice with a grain of salt since I have never had issues with feeding my Trochus snails and I have never kept coral:
I have heard that slowing down is a sign of starvation. Others have recommended feeding foods like nori tied to a rock or algae wafers. I am not sure about the coral part.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Supplement them with algae tabs. they typically dont go after coral but may be seeking zooxanthellae whic are contained in many coral.

1659892730085.png

OP
OP
C

c0b_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplement them with algae tabs. they typically dont go after coral but may be seeking zooxanthellae whic are contained in many coral.

1659892730085.png
I did drop one of these in, but after about an hour or so, I took it out because none of them even touched it. How should I supplement these to them?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave them to it... From what you posted they have had a good feed/graze. have you ever over eaten and feel you need to lounge? After a 24oz steak.... You want to chill.

Your post is very confusing.

If they are not dead or dying... Then nothing to worry about :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did drop one of these in, but after about an hour or so, I took it out because none of them even touched it. How should I supplement these to them?
feed at night and they wont spoil for a couple of days

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and Nitrite 0, Nitrates 10 ppm, pH 8.3
How big is your tank?

Your paramaeters should be fine for most inverts, trochus included. How's your phosphate, Ca and Alk doing? If the former is high and the latter ones are low, the snails might be having difficulty growing their shells (but this is a long shot). I would not feed the snails. Feed the fishes instead, algae will happen automagically.

On the other hand, if your nitrates are higher in reality than what you measured, it will not go down well with most inverts (trochus included).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back