Trochus Snail Serial Killer

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any ideas what could be killing and eating my trochus snails? I’ve lost 2 in the last 3 days. I just see empty shells on their sides. Truth be told I haven’t pulled them out to see if there’s any hermits in the shells. However, both blue leg hermits I have are way to small for the trochus shells. I have a couple of the blue legs, an emerald crab that pretty much keeps to himself in the rocks, a handful of very small Nassarius snails, 6 blue green chromis and a banggai cardinal. I’ve been trying to get the algae under control so have cut down feeding a bit but everyone eats when I feed.
I like the trochus as they are good helpers with algae on the rocks but I don’t want to get any more till I figure out what’s getting them...

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have enough to eat? It is often thought that we buy enough snails to deal with an algae problem, but too many for the carrying capacity of the tank.

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallon DT. Had 5 of the Trochus. There’s PLENTY of algae on the rocks for them. Since I cut back on fish feeding could it be the emerald if not enough detritus for it?

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always think crabs in this situation. If you cut back feeding maybe they are scavenging an easy meal? I’d lean more towards hermits for this.

AptasiaEatingFilefishLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any ideas what could be killing and eating my trochus snails? I’ve lost 2 in the last 3 days. I just see empty shells on their sides. Truth be told I haven’t pulled them out to see if there’s any hermits in the shells. However, both blue leg hermits I have are way to small for the trochus shells. I have a couple of the blue legs, an emerald crab that pretty much keeps to himself in the rocks, a handful of very small Nassarius snails, 6 blue green chromis and a banggai cardinal. I’ve been trying to get the algae under control so have cut down feeding a bit but everyone eats when I feed.
I like the trochus as they are good helpers with algae on the rocks but I don’t want to get any more till I figure out what’s getting them...
Do you know if the snails were healthy from the get go? Do you know that your water supports inverts?

Maybe I'm sloppy but losing snails is what I do. Add more. But I know my water is legit. I don't lose snails unless they're garbage. Or a wrasse gets the wrong idea.

Your emerald crab didn't kill your snails. If it did, they were sick or dying. Neither did what else you posted...not without more evidence

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Mg approaches 1500 ppm it becomes toxic to snails. Trochus tend to be more resistant to this than other species in my experience but they aren't immune. Astrea and turbo snails seem to be very sensitive to it.

The main symptom I see is they stay in one spot for days with their face sticking out of their shell and falling of the glass for no reason. Normally when they sleep only their foot sticks out attached to something. When their face sticks out too they sort of look drunk. Too high of Mg kills them in the same manner as ODing on anesthesia meds. So maybe they are drunk?

I have also seen predatory bristle worms, hermits, and crabs of all types. Wrasses too. Hard to tell if it's a predator unless you catch them in the act. I recommend testing Mg first just to rule it out. Otherwise stay up late with a flashlight and check periodically.

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a guess. I have read that nassarius snails can easily be mis-identified by sellers. They have the same shell structure as whelks, which are effective snail predators. You may have whelks in your tank.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a guess. I have read that nassarius snails can easily be mis-identified by sellers. They have the same shell structure as whelks, which are effective snail predators. You may have whelks in your tank.

I have heard this too. Recommend posting pictures of them just to verify. I also heard of nassarius snails going predatory from lack of food too.

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the culprit may have been unhealthy snails. I bought these online. I’ve since gotten 3 more from a reputable LFS and no other issues since

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found trochus snails can be very sensitive when acclimating to a new tank

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 9 Trochus Snails from tiny things grown now to over 1 inch in diameter.
They have never reproduced.
I will say though my Mg levels have always been high around 1550 sometimes higher.
I gather this is the cause, but my original 9 are doing great.
Been working on lowering my Mg levels, after reading this thread I will be even more pro-active to get the level down.

Back