Trochus Snail shell. Issue or nothing?

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me if this normal for a Trochus Snail? I have about 15 of them and two of them have these "tentacles" that are coming from the outer shell. Both of these two snails have a hole or crack in the shell as all others seem pretty solid. When I grabbed them for inspection they retract as does the snail. They re-emerge as the snail does. Wasn't sure if it's actually the snail, or pest. Thanks!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got more than 2.maybe like 6 or 8

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking about the white strings on the back? I have many trochus, and haven't seen that..looks like something growing on its shell.

OP
OP
air_run

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking about the white strings on the back? I have many trochus, and haven't seen that..looks like something growing on its shell.

It is definitely something alive. When touching or grabbing for observation, it retracts as would a tube worm or aiptasia. It kinda does look like something "growing" though. I wasn't sure as it only retracts as the snail does, and re-extends as the snail emerges.

I was just concerned as I did not quarantine them and a week later I noticed aiptasia in the cleanup crew holding tanks at my LFS.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those are a spionid type worm . Don't worry about these.

Looks like your snail has 3 hitch hiking on him.

Edit: maybe even 4... what the world...

Badnade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely something alive. When touching or grabbing for observation, it retracts as would a tube worm or aiptasia. It kinda does look like something "growing" though. I wasn't sure as it only retracts as the snail does, and re-extends as the snail emerges.

I was just concerned as I did not quarantine them and a week later I noticed aiptasia in the cleanup crew holding tanks at my LFS.

Those are definitely a type of worm, not the snails. I didn't even see those at first. I told you wrong.

Back