Tropic Marin All-For-Reef: Any downsides to it?

midgaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking at various dosing pumps, trying to find one with enough heads to dose the various potions I've been trying out (Fusion 1 and Fusion 2, Ions (for magnesium), Vibrance (for iodide), and maybe even the Pax Bellum Magic Nitrate potion. Then I see Tropic Marin has an all-in-one product, namely, All-For-Reef, which includes "calcium, magnesium, strontium, and carbonate hardness elements, but also other less common elements like iodine, bromine, fluorine, selenium, molybdenum, & vanadium." So I'm thinking this is too good to be true! Given that you can use one potion for all these components (with just a single-head dosing pump), why would you NOT use this product in place of the other individual products??

Not sure if this has been addressed or not, haven't read the entire thread. Sounds like you may have a Pax Bellum, if so I would highly recommend not using Vibrant, it kills Chaeto.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I still not really understand, is the all for reef suitable for all aquarium types? I always thought that the trace metal consumption of an aquarium is independent of the calcium balance? For example, a soft coral tank has a comparable trace metal consumption as an SPS tank, but a significantly lower cal consumption, right? How can you control that? At the end if you had to adjust often with kh or other elements,we actually still end with a two part no??
You are absolutely correct, that in ANY instance where your particular tank is in need of different ratios of Ca, alkalinity, Mg and trace elements, than is normally seen in the stoichiometric usage of the corals and other calcareous animals in the tank, you will need to adjust the addition of those components with the use of other products. Giving up the ability to adjust those ratios of addition, on the fly, is the one big downside of going to a single solution product.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running AFR for almost 2 years and I love it I currently dose 68 ml a day split up over a 24 hr period using a Kmore X1 pump. My system is total 70 gallons
56E67E1A-85C9-4C6F-8305-62CAD6E97B80.jpeg
Nice tank. 68ml a day, that’s a lot compare to 15ml a day on my 75g but I see you have a lot of acros. What is your Alk at?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absolutely correct, that in ANY instance where your particular tank is in need of different ratios of Ca, alkalinity, Mg and trace elements, than is normally seen in the stoichiometric usage of the corals and other calcareous animals in the tank, you will need to adjust the addition of those components with the use of other products. Giving up the ability to adjust those ratios of addition, on the fly, is the one big downside of going to a single solution product.
Thanks for your answer,so would you recommend the balling method over all for reef for better results or just sometimes add products to all for reef in case it is needed?In you experience,wich method give the better results in the main cases ?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your answer,so would you recommend the balling method over all for reef for better results or just sometimes add products to all for reef in case it is needed?In you experience,wich method give the better results in the main cases ?
It really is a matter of choice. All of these methods have their advantages and disadvantages. The reason we offer more than one choice is due to that exact quality. The Balling Method allows you to make those tweaks on a regular daily basis. But you still get the increase in salinity in time, and you need 3 solutions to do it. The AFR lets you do all of that in one solution, with no increase in the salinity. But you have to use a different product, the Balling B, from time to time if your alkalinity is not keeping up with your Ca. That is, of course, not always the case. So in an instance where the alkalinity usage and Ca usage are in the stoichiometric proportions, then the AFR is a clear winner. It is hard to knock the one solution and your done approach. But if you need to make the alkalinity adjustments, then it is really a matter of choice only. There is no real functional advantage to either method that I know of.

hamzamal12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tropic Marin All for reef and pro salt. my corals aren't just surviving, but thriving. for smaller systems, it's a great deal. i'll probably transition over to making my own, now that I know it works for me. gl
Hi,

Do you have any issues with Cal or Mag being much lower then Alk? or vice versa.. or do they just balance out themself?

Thanks

bob lloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been recommended all for reef as I am currently having trouble with my calcium reactor, so does dosing all for reef make the calcium reactor redundant ?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been recommended all for reef as I am currently having trouble with my calcium reactor, so does dosing all for reef make the calcium reactor redundant ?
The All-For-Reef will do essentially the same thing as the calcium reactor. In my opinion, it even does a little more. The AFR will supplement your system for Ca, alkalinity, Mg and trace elements.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The All-For-Reef will do essentially the same thing as the calcium reactor. In my opinion, it even does a little more. The AFR will supplement your system for Ca, alkalinity, Mg and trace elements.

Just about to start using AFR, I use TM pro salt, the alk is around 6.5 in the tank, my aim is to run the tank between 7-7.5 should I bring up the alk in the tank before starting with AFR or just dose till I reach my target?
I don’t have corals in the tank yet.Im not sure why the alk is low in the tank, fresh salt mix is just above 7.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about to start using AFR, I use TM pro salt, the alk is around 6.5 in the tank, my aim is to run the tank between 7-7.5 should I bring up the alk in the tank before starting with AFR or just dose till I reach my target?
I don’t have corals in the tank yet.Im not sure why the alk is low in the tank, fresh salt mix is just above 7.
There are lots of things besides coral calcification that can take alkalinity out of the water column. So there may be some of these other processes going on. Especially if this is a new system.

It is always a good idea to bring your parameters into line before starting AFR or Carbocalcium. So dosing a little sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate, to get that alkalinity up a little, is a good idea. Then start your AFR to maintain those parameters.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to switch over to tropic Marin, been using Red Sea

Just be aware that only the Tropic classic and Tropic Pro can be stored when mixed, the Bio actif have organic or similar in it so is meant to be mixed and used within 24 hours.

Depending where you want to keep your alk, the pro is around 7 same as sea water the classic is quite a bit higher at 9-10.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware that only the Tropic classic and Tropic Pro can be stored when mixed, the Bio actif have organic or similar in it so is meant to be mixed and used within 24 hours.

Depending where you want to keep your alk, the pro is around 7 same as sea water the classic is quite a bit higher at 9-10.
I’ve been using the Red Sea and the only downside is that it leaves a brown residue

bob lloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 100 gallon 3ft cube plus sump 12 years old how would you recommend I dose all for reef if I scrap my bubble magus calcium reactor.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its meant to be safe, a few salts do it, I just didn’t like seeing it, and was wondering if it was doing that in the mixing bucket what was it doing in the tank!
That’s true too, so do you notice any difference from using tropic Marin instead of Red Sea? In terms of coral growth, hmmm more/less algae?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back