Tropic Marin All for Reef not increasing CA and MG?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any opportunity for expansion on your aversion for using it for ALK control?

Since the alk does not show up instantly, an automated system that doses a supplement based on alk may lead to run away dosing since adding some will not show an alk increase, then more is dosed, no alk change, more is dosed, no change, etc.

One can potentially control that by limiting how much alk can possibly be dosed in a day to not more than is actually expected to be needed, but it is not as simple as using sodium carbonate for automated alk control.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since the alk does not show up instantly, an automated system that doses a supplement based on alk may lead to run away dosing since adding some will not show an alk increase, then more is dosed, no alk change, more is dosed, no change, etc.

One can potentially control that by limiting how much alk can possibly be dosed in a day to not more than is actually expected to be needed, but it is not as simple as using sodium carbonate for automated alk control.
Thank you for the response. I hadn't considered the comment in reference to system controllers such as the Apex Trident that can react to current levels automatically. I was thinking more of a manual feedback loop such as testing 24hr later and adjusting a dose. Considering the time delay for alk to rise, your comment makes more sense.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well coralline algae just like anything else is going to lower calcium and alkalinity together. Corals, clams, coralline.. all use alkalinity and calcium together to generate calcium carbonate.

So here’s a possible scenario:

You measure the following

8.0 Alk
380 Calcium.

You then dose AFR, and immediately test

8.0 Alk
400 Calcium.

Next day you test again:

9.0 Alk
390 Calcium

At this point what has happened (assuming your tests are perfectly accurate) is that the AFR raised your calcium immediately, however the alkalinity was still locked up with the formate. The next day the formate metabolized unlocking the alkalinity; but both calcium and alkalinity also were used up due to calcifying organisms. (My numbers are probably not completely accurate, Randy’s better with the exact math, but the basic trends are correct)

So with AFR, you just have to test and make sure things are “about right”. Even if you test off calcium, usually that seems to fluctuate more than it does due to test error.

It’s why I wouldn’t advise using it for sensitive stuff like Acropora. However it seems okay for your tank livestock. (I use it in a tank with softies and a few stony coral, and I don’t worry about)

So just get your numbers about where you want them, then dose and keep track of the trend over several weeks. If it continues in one direction increase or decrease. As things start to grow and change you’ll need to change dosing as well.

Ultimately don’t worry unless you’re seeing large excursions.

If you’re more OCD like me or want to keep things super stable for Acro or something, then you might want to change away from AFR.
Yeah, that's not what I'm seeing. Can't be coralline then... I think I'm gonna back away from the AFR and get a true 2 part to increase levels along with dosing mag to keep it up.

Thank you for your help!! ;Happy
All for reef is amazing and all you gotta do is test your alk till it’s where you want it and stable.. plenty of sps tanks running it strictly including mine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking more of a manual feedback loop such as testing 24hr later and adjusting a dose. Considering the time delay for alk to rise, your comment makes more sense.

There's nothing wrong with that, IMO. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back