Tropic Marin -Is it worth the extra $&

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty much starting over with a 90 gallon aquarium and I recently upgraded another tank to a 28 gallon cube both are starting from almost zero as far as corals.
I’ve added several soft corals and lps to the 90 gallon and the 28 gallon has some soft corals
I’ve been using reef crystals for years but can’t say it’s impressed me or that my corals thrived in the past. I only switched because of the price.
Recently I mixed about 16 gallons of salt water and after 3-4 days I had an odor ( I had a powerhead mixing it )
I’m considering switching to tropic Marin because it’s considered one of the better salts
I’m wondering if the additional cost is worth the change

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not.

If you don't mind lining the pockets of the higher ups at tropic marin, then go for it. I personally have reefed with regular old purple box IO for over 20 years and have no reason to change.

At the end of the day, salt is salt. If you don't care for death crystals, then switch to something else. The price of tropic marin will keep me away from it forever. Theres absolutely nothing in tropic marin that warrants a 50% markup over some other salts.

Right now, tropic marin(200G) is $110.00, IO is $45(200G), heck even fritz is only $65.

The salt you use, will not make you a better reefer.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty much starting over with a 90 gallon aquarium and I recently upgraded another tank to a 28 gallon cube both are starting from almost zero as far as corals.
I’ve added several soft corals and lps to the 90 gallon and the 28 gallon has some soft corals
I’ve been using reef crystals for years but can’t say it’s impressed me or that my corals thrived in the past. I only switched because of the price.
Recently I mixed about 16 gallons of salt water and after 3-4 days I had an odor ( I had a powerhead mixing it )
I’m considering switching to tropic Marin because it’s considered one of the better salts
I’m wondering if the additional cost is worth the change
If you mixed it in a brute can an odor is common. Probably not the salt. If I leave water in the bottom of my brute can for a few days it smells. Almost like cat tick. I thought the cat was peeing in my can lol. I read its common.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I also like to buy products made in the good old USA, which tropic marin is not.

I can for see tropic marin going up even further with the recent spike(and certainly not going down) in shipping costs. I can also see with the shipping issues, tropic marin getting hard and harder to purchase as they will not be able to get a lot of it shipped, or unloaded in a timely fashion.

It certainly is the recent "salt of the month", but for my tank, I'll stick to a salt that been around for decades.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use HW reefer. Similar price high end manufactured high purity salt. It's all I've ever used. It mixes almost instantly although I rarely mix it for immediate use. I don't have any cake build up in storage. After 2.5 years my ICP shows no build up of any elements.

At my usage I'm probably spending $5-7 / month more. If TM add another couple bucks.

Could I have successful reef with a less expensive brand? Sure. Many reefers (most) do. Does higher purity guarantee success? Of course not.

Am I changing? Nope.

It's personal decision but I like the higher purity that HW and TM provide. That is worth what I consider a small monthly price difference.

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to what Quietman said. Salt is salt at the end of the day. The companies push their own salt and market it in their own way. It won't make you a better reefer because there are thousands of successful reefers on "cheap" salt.

I will say this though, I use TM Pro Reef for the sure fact I like how pure it is and it doesn't leave residue in my mixing bin. I have tried a lot of different salts and that's what it came do to is do I want that crap in the bottom of my mixing bin along with the smell like Jeffcb said. I chose not to have it in there and stick with TM Pro Reef for that reason.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use TM Pro, in the past I have used IO, Red Sea and HW. I found myself settling with TM because of the purity, and the trace element levels along with the most important Alk being low. My target is 8.3dkh. however with all that said, the $110 price tag is starting to eat at me, and I am starting to look else where. I don't want to have to reduce alk, so I need something that mixes at 8.3 or less at 1.025. Id say TM is a great salt, but the price is no longer worth it.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite honestly the move towards no water change systems is becoming more mainstay. Unlikely to need large quantities of salt to be fair. Pick one that works for you. Regular IO is as good as the rest of them, unless you want to run an AWC system without cleaning the tubing, then a cleanly mixed salt will probably be beneficial.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how accurate BRS' salt comparison from a couple years ago is, but it highlighted the difference between the stated amount of saltwater produced vs what you actually get from the package and some of the cheaper brands actually make less saltwater than what is stated which mitigates the price difference between TMP Pro and other cheaper options.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot from BRS salt price video.
Screenshot_20211028-075622_YouTube.jpg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how accurate BRS' salt comparison from a couple years ago is, but it highlighted the difference between the stated amount of saltwater produced vs what you actually get from the package and some of the cheaper brands actually make less saltwater than what is stated which mitigates the price difference between TMP Pro and other cheaper options.
So I get roughly 180G out of a 200G box. TM is currently $110 for a true 200G. IO is currently $45 for roughly 180G.

Still doesn't negate twice the price for me.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above. You can buy 2 boxes of IO for yet a fraction of TM. That comparative chart is awful.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a few different salts. For the longest time I used the blue bucket. When I got back into the hobby I started using Red Sea but I didn’t like how it mixed so I switched to tropic Marin. Is it worth the extra money? Probably not, but I have a small tank and it mixes well so I’m happy. A lot of people have success with IO which is significantly cheaper

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely

Pharmaceutical grade elements without any contaminates

Like comparing 25 year old Scotch (TMarin) to 5 day old Vodka (IO)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back