Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woh, $25.99 for a bucket instant ocean. A
Lol

Screenshot_20210227-220343_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Why buy anything else. Tropic Marin is probably IO anyway with a different label... (hehehe)

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for as many ppl as possible thinking IO purple box is trash.

Most wont ever keep the same corals in the same tank long enough to know that TMP makes zero difference while my colonies continue to thrive on IO purple box for years to come.

I hate to see others flush Soo much money down the drain for something that doesn't confer any benefit to coral growth/health

But I'm also thankful for all of you, bc your requirement for a premium offering that doesn't do anything will make it so I'll never see a TMP like issue on IO.

It will always be on Amazon/Chewy for $.17-.2/gal landed within 24hrs and will always mix the same. And purple box won't ever have a residue since it never has (commonly confused with RC).

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure there is a more nauseating topic to talk and read about than salt.

The lies and misinformation from both sides is just astounding. You'd think at some point we would be past the measuring contest but here we are...this same topic was argued about decades ago. Guess what? Nothing has changed. The best salt is still the same. It's the salt you bought. It has to be the best or you wouldn't buy it.

Not sure why so many want to argue and outright lie just to try and justify to themselves why they use the salt they do. Just be honest with everyone, but more importantly be honest with yourself. You know why you use the salt you use. Be happy with that and move on.

One really good thing about this topic is it's clear to see who is rational and who I should give zero attention to. So there's that

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure there is a more nauseating topic to talk and read about than salt.

The lies and misinformation from both sides is just astounding. You'd think at some point we would be past the measuring contest but here we are...this same topic was argued about decades ago. Guess what? Nothing has changed. The best salt is still the same. It's the salt you bought. It has to be the best or you wouldn't buy it.

Not sure why so many want to argue and outright lie just to try and justify to themselves why they use the salt they do. Just be honest with everyone, but more importantly be honest with yourself. You know why you use the salt you use. Be happy with that and move on.

One really good thing about this topic is it's clear to see who is rational and who I should give zero attention to. So there's that
This is one of my favorite threads on the topic yet. It is almost not civil unlike most of the others. I really enjoy how it was about the supply and turned into which salt is better. Some of the comments on here are straight bad. But the truth is, just get the salt you like, want, and can afford. Every salt mix will only perform as well as the hobbyist.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna switch to Mortons personally. It's even cheaper and will help season the fish before I cook them. Can't wait to try some fried anemone.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Clarify for new reefers

I do not use tap water

hopefully you can understand from
My sarcasm that it doesn’t matter what salt you use if your RO filters are exhausted

quality source water is #1 most important

if you use the best salt in the world with compromised source water you are screwed no matter what

that being said, I run a lot of tanks
I have been successful with all salts but I do like TM pro the best

I have never used another salt where after a water change I actually see better polyp extension on SPS

I know you can use IO n achieve the results

but when I do water changes with TM the tank seems to say thank you by glowing and growing

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a salt mix clean is worth a bit of cost. Nothing worse than having your mixing station grundged up with sludge or a brown film deposited over every surface, I am looking at you AquaForest! Pay attention to how long the manufacturer says you can store the mixed saltwater. AquaForest's recommendation is ridiculously short for their suggested use by.

Dennis

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s also nice when I’m hustling through a service I can mix up TM pro quick n it’s ready to use

crystal Clear and stable

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This argument over which salt is better is ridiculous. No salt is worse than another one when it comes to reefing. They all work and can be successful. They all have pros and cons. IO is great and cheap. It is missing some minor elements so you will have to dose those. TM Pro is great, but the Alk is a little low and it is expensive. The whole conversation about salt should be about what you want to do with our tank and how much time are you willing to spend on maintenance. If you are busy with life, I work 16 hours days, then a clean mixing salt that I can hold for a month and meets as many parameters as close to what I want is imperative. I don't have time to mix water for each water change. I will skip them if I do it that way. I personally use HW Marinemix due to it mixes up to where I want my parameters and I can store it for a month and not have to clean the container. My time is worth the extra time I save vs the extra cost. If you have the time and would rather spend it and save on the cost, then IO or RC is perfectly fine. It is rather cheap and easy to raise or lower the Alk. All of the salts will work. RC and IO don't work for me due to lack of free time. TM is a bit too expensive and I don't want to dose sodium bicarbonate to raise the alk.
At the end of the day, your salt is only as good or bad as the reefer using it.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But no matter what salt you use, make sure your RO water is good or it’s pointless
My RO is non-existent, but I do notice a difference between TMP and IO Reef Crystals. Also, my good ol' Canadian tap water is probably pretty close to what you get from your RO water.

Not all tap water is the same.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about Canadian water but if I use bad USA source water n TM pro it seems detrimental

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back