Tropic Marin Pro Reef, bye bye

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if TM changed the 'recipe' for Pro Reef? I have used the salt for a while and mixed in a white bucket with never any residue. I am now on a new bucket and I am getting a coating of brown gunk on all surfaces of the bucket and on the mixing pump. I can even see the water has a brown/orange tint to it once the salt dissolves.
I'm having the same issue as well. I've used TM pro for 2 years now, and almost a full year in my new mixing station (45 gal brutes).

The newest bucket of salt I got started developing the brown buildup within the first day.

I was going to preemptively change filters and resin on my RODI thinking that had something to do with it (though TDS still 0) but glad to hear others are seeing the same issue!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any difference in the salt ? Like salt is salt!
Yeah any of the major brands will be fine, salinity will just affect what the parameters are of the salt, if you mix it at 33ppt but the bucket has the parameters listed for say 35 then expect your parameters to be slightly lower than listed.

Just pick a salt that has parameters that you prefer or you’ll have to dose to correct them.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I get that but other than that , the $179 TMP compared to reef crystals is the dosing of the big 3

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that but other than that , the $179 TMP compared to reef crystals is the dosing of the big 3
The parameters of salts are different because people prefer different parameters, no one really knows what the best parameters are, the just choose what they think is best, pick one you think best.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters of salts are different because people prefer different parameters, no one really knows what the best parameters are, the just choose what they think is best, pick one you think best.
Most of its marketimg as each salt manufacturer wants your business.
The best parameters is the ocean.
I keep nsw levels but keep alk at 8.
The ocean alk is 6.5-7.
I have run alk at 7 with zero issues.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The trace elements will be vastly different between the two as well.

To say "salt is salt" is misleading at best. Is there a best salt for everyone? No. Is there a best salt for each individual? Absolutely. Budget, parameters (including purity and cleanliness of ingredietns), and availability should be the determining factors on what salt one chooses.

For example, I won't touch Reef Crystals again. It is a disgusting mess of a salt with parameters way too high for my liking. Large water changes are impossible since I run my alkalinity between 7-8dkh. Does this make it a universally bad salt for everyone? Nope. Plenty of reefers use it with great success.

I do use TM Pro, ESV and IO Purple though. TM Pro and IO Purple mixed 50/50 has great parameters and bings the cost down. In the end, I always end up back at ESV salt. It matches everything I look for in a salt and since I don't do water changes (3-4x a year at most) the cost doesn't make a lick of difference.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

To say "salt is salt" is misleading at best. Is there a best salt for everyone? No. Is there a best salt for each individual? Absolutely. Budget, parameters (including purity and cleanliness of ingredietns), and availability should be the determining factors on what salt one chooses.

For example, I won't touch Reef Crystals again. It is a disgusting mess of a salt with parameters way too high for my liking. Large water changes are impossible since I run my alkalinity between 7-8dkh. Does this make it a universally bad salt for everyone? Nope. Plenty of reefers use it with great success.

I do use TM Pro, ESV and IO Purple though. TM Pro and IO Purple mixed 50/50 has great parameters and bings the cost down. In the end, I always end up back at ESV salt. It matches everything I look for in a salt and since I don't do water changes (3-4x a year at most) the cost doesn't make a lick of difference.
Wow 3-4x a year wc huh…

The prices are outta hand though

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love esv and ran it for 5 years. It excells in nano tanks.
Mix it and use it.
I went back to regular IO during covid as it was not available.
I do have to adjust alk from 11ish to my current 8 but I did the same with esv.
I ran no water changes for 18 months on my 120. I now do 10% a month.
Personally I dont think the salt maters if you know what your doing.
Except for alk IO's Ca and Mag are right where I run my systems.
I also have no issue with the residue.
I dose trace daily in both systems though.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of its marketimg as each salt manufacturer wants your business.
The best parameters is the ocean.
I keep nsw levels but keep alk at 8.
The ocean alk is 6.5-7.
I have run alk at 7 with zero issues.
Same here, those are the reasons I chose TMP salt but the price has gone crazy so moving to IO and will lower the alk to around 7.5-8 just for the slight ph boost.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, those are the reasons I chose TMP salt but the price has gone crazy so moving to IO and will lower the alk to around 7.5-8 just for the slight ph boost.
I think I posted it here in an earlier post. Try this to eliminate the brown residue. I run 1/4 cup of rox in a nylon sock and float it in my brute during mixing.
No residue in the brute and salt mixes crystal clear. A few others are trying it and hopefully will report back.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I posted it here in an earlier post. Try this to eliminate the brown residue. I run 1/4 cup of rox in a nylon sock and float it in my brute during mixing.
No residue in the brute and salt mixes crystal clear. A few others are trying it and hopefully will report back.
Thanks will give it a try if I get the crud issue, I only have a nano so a quick rinse of the bucket between batches might be enough, hope so as I’m paranoid using carbon because of the bust issue, I do use it in the tank but wrap it in very low micron filter cloth.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you honestly know a difference with similar specific gravity? Please anyone ?

Yes it's like saying food is food when there are so many things to consider about WHAT you are eating. Calories, fats, carbs, proteins, moisture content, is it messy? does it have vitamins? are you allergic? etc just an analogy

Last edited:

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I Personally think you can be a successful reefer if it’s $40 salt or $170/bucket .

You can’t be successful / healthy in longevity if you eat McDonald’s everyday compared to salad with salmon
Yes it's like saying food is food when there are so many things to consider about WHAT you are eating. Calories, fats, carbs, proteins, moisture content, is it messy? does it have vitamins? are you allergic? etc just an analogy

salmon

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if TM changed the 'recipe' for Pro Reef? I have used the salt for a while and mixed in a white bucket with never any residue. I am now on a new bucket and I am getting a coating of brown gunk on all surfaces of the bucket and on the mixing pump. I can even see the water has a brown/orange tint to it once the salt dissolves.

I found this thread because I am having a residue issue as well but with Tropic Marin Classic. I'm getting some ring around the collar. I also had a half bucket that had been sitting a while (maybe a couple weeks) that was full of brown stuff that doesn't seem to want to rinse out too easily and I'll probably have to give it a vinegar bath. Part of the reason I switched was because IO was gunking up my mixing pump. :rolleyes:

bucket.jpg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use Reef Crystals. I was a hard core Red Sea Coral Pro person. My parameters were swinging from change to change so I went to Reef Crystals.

Think on the systems that use Reef Crystals. Tidal Gardens uses it exclusively. Jason Fox uses regular IO. It's good salt.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I use Reef Crystals. I was a hard core Red Sea Coral Pro person. My parameters were swinging from change to change so I went to Reef Crystals.

Think on the systems that use Reef Crystals. Tidal Gardens uses it exclusively. Jason Fox uses regular IO. It's good salt.
What’s IO

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back